Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2016, 05:51 PM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
(18-05-2016 05:46 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 02:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It would, it might even make an interesting topic for me, how to make me an atheists.

Brain transplant?

Transplant? No. Implant Laugh out load

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
18-05-2016, 06:05 PM
(18-05-2016 05:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 05:46 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Brain transplant?

Transplant? No. Implant Laugh out load

Take your pick...

[Image: 911_zpsu0mbais1.jpg]

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
18-05-2016, 06:20 PM
(18-05-2016 04:11 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Even for Paul, God's existence is self-evident: "For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but they became futile in their thinking and darkened in their foolish hearts.…"

And Paul has metaphysical street cred why?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-05-2016, 06:29 PM
(18-05-2016 06:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And Paul has metaphysical street cred why?

One good heat-stroke hallucination...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
18-05-2016, 07:10 PM
(17-05-2016 08:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 07:42 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "If I define 'good' as having qualities of evil, then my god is good and evil can still exist. But evil exists as evil in the world and the 'evil' qualities of my god are actually 'good' qualities because I don't understand contradiction."

The belief that Good and all powerful being can create a world in which evil exists, is not a contradictory belief.

A point that should be apparent particularly if you subscribe to subjective morality, where the concept of morally Good has no objective meaning, just a variety of subjective ones.

You're once again missing the point -- that if you subscribe to moral objectivity, such a being must either behave morally, or be judged immoral. If you choose neither option, you are thereby undermining your belief in moral objectivity.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
18-05-2016, 09:23 PM
(18-05-2016 02:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I can see a scenario, it's unlikely to happen, but one that requires indoctrination. You isolate me from other theists, then get me to think of them in a bad light. You get me to believe it's shameful to believe what I do, that all the cool and intelligent kids are atheists. You get me to believe that I have to be delusional to believe in God, make me feel repulsed by it. You feed me anti-religious propaganda, get me to believe that religion is the root of all evil. That it's the cause of much of the worlds suffering and violence. That atheism is a cure, that if I'm not an atheist I'm a part of the problem. Get me to believe that I should only believe things that folks like Dawkins, Tyson, Hawkins believes, etc.....
How about a scenario where you actually appreciate the value of critical thinking? Literally the only way you can think of to change your mind is by brain-washing? This doesn't like, raise a red flag for you?

Quote:Strip my identify in such away, that makes me want to talk like you, say things like you do, be like you, so I get boost up my rep points, and get everybody here to like me.
Aww, are you feeling unloved? Laugh out load

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
18-05-2016, 11:40 PM
(15-05-2016 01:42 PM)morondog Wrote:  Something that annoys the fuck outta me is the way that we're forced to use language in a really precise manner because some twerp is gonna twist it if not.

If you allow them to do that they will continue to control the conversation. Call "bullshit" when they play games or you might as well give up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2016, 12:28 AM
(18-05-2016 04:59 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 04:39 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't think the sort of tendency towards a lack of belief prevalent here, is common childhood tendency, nor the belief that there are rules to be followed in order to believe that something is true. For the child everything is evidence, and the rules are, there are no rules.

You accept your intuitive assumptions, and go from there. If you already believe God exists, whatever inquiries you engage in, whatever reasonable assumption you make, serve to rationalize after the fact, more for the sake of resolving any nagging doubts, then to guide you to believing

Like I said, your god is an imaginary friend and you never grew up beyond the thinking capacity of a child. The fact that you can't or won't see that, is a result of your indoctrination.

Or is this response indoctrination tactic #5 or 6 or whatever you're at? Consider

Kids are pretty sharp. Tommy you never played that game with your old man? "Where did the world come from Daddy?" "God made it, son". "Who made God, Daddy". "No one did, son, he always existed" "That makes no sense Daddy" "If you don't shut up you'll get a hiding, son".

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
19-05-2016, 12:32 AM
(18-05-2016 04:39 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You accept your intuitive assumptions, and go from there. If you already believe God exists, whatever inquiries you engage in, whatever reasonable assumption you make, serve to rationalize after the fact, more for the sake of resolving any nagging doubts, then to guide you to believing

Self-awareness Tommy? Didn't know you had it in you.

You realise that we can *check* our intuitive assumptions? Identify, then check. Identifying assumptions is something that every conscientious scientist strives for. It's another benefit of peer-review. Someone else might spot something you don't.

Why would you think that God would be exempt? Once you realise that you've always just assumed the existence of God, it becomes reasonable to think of checking that assumption.

[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
19-05-2016, 12:44 AM
(18-05-2016 02:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I can see a scenario, it's unlikely to happen, but one that requires indoctrination. You isolate me from other theists, then get me to think of them in a bad light. ...

You're drunk, right? Tell me you're drunk.

(18-05-2016 02:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You get me to believe it's shameful to believe what I do, that all the cool and intelligent kids are atheists. You get me to believe that I have to be delusional to believe in God, make me feel repulsed by it. You feed me anti-religious propaganda, get me to believe that religion is the root of all evil. That it's the cause of much of the worlds suffering and violence. That atheism is a cure, that if I'm not an atheist I'm a part of the problem. Get me to believe that I should only believe things that folks like Dawkins, Tyson, Hawkins believes, etc.....

You're drunk, right? Tell me you're drunk.

(18-05-2016 02:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Strip my identify in such away, that makes me want to talk like you, say things like you do, be like you, so I get boost up my rep points, and get everybody here to like me.

You're trippin', right? Tell me you're trippin'.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post