Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 01:04 AM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
(18-05-2016 02:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It would, it might even make an interesting topic for me, how to make me an atheists.

I can see a scenario, it's unlikely to happen, but one that requires indoctrination. You isolate me from other theists, then get me to think of them in a bad light. You get me to believe it's shameful to believe what I do, that all the cool and intelligent kids are atheists. You get me to believe that I have to be delusional to believe in God, make me feel repulsed by it. You feed me anti-religious propaganda, get me to believe that religion is the root of all evil. That it's the cause of much of the worlds suffering and violence. That atheism is a cure, that if I'm not an atheist I'm a part of the problem. Get me to believe that I should only believe things that folks like Dawkins, Tyson, Hawkins believes, etc.....

Strip my identify in such away, that makes me want to talk like you, say things like you do, be like you, so I get boost up my rep points, and get everybody here to like me.

Let me fix that for you... Drinking Beverage

I can see a scenario, it's unlikely to happen, but one that requires indoctrination. You isolate me from other theists people, then get me to think of them in a bad light. You get me to believe it's shameful to believe what I do, that all the cool and intelligent kids are atheists part of this cult. You get me to believe that I have to be delusional to not believe in God, make me feel repulsed by it. You feed me anti-religious propaganda, get me to believe that religion sin is the root of all evil. That it's the cause of much of the worlds suffering and violence. That atheism this cult is a cure, that if I'm not an atheist member of the cult I'm a part of the problem. Get me to believe that I should only believe things that folks like Dawkins, Tyson, Hawkins Jim Jones, Charles Manson, Marshall Applewhite believes, etc.....

There you go, Religious Indoctrination 101, for which we have a ready supply of examples of. Funny that the best you can do is nothing more than misappropriation and projection.

[Image: jonestown_06.jpg]

So how is the Kool-Aid in Jonestown?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-05-2016, 02:03 AM
(18-05-2016 02:34 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don’t have faith that God exists, anymore so than I have faith that I exist. God’s existence is self-evident for me, so it requires no faith to believe God exists.

"Self-evident" is another way of saying "because I said so."

0/10, trai hard3r, n00b.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-05-2016, 04:57 AM
Atheist sayings are just pretty much all sayings. They're basically any sayings that aren't theistic.

There'd be fucking countless ones for me to list.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2016, 05:01 AM
Dumb Atheist Sayings
(18-05-2016 04:59 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 04:39 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't think the sort of tendency towards a lack of belief prevalent here, is common childhood tendency, nor the belief that there are rules to be followed in order to believe that something is true. For the child everything is evidence, and the rules are, there are no rules.

You accept your intuitive assumptions, and go from there. If you already believe God exists, whatever inquiries you engage in, whatever reasonable assumption you make, serve to rationalize after the fact, more for the sake of resolving any nagging doubts, then to guide you to believing

Like I said, your god is an imaginary friend and you never grew up beyond the thinking capacity of a child. The fact that you can't or won't see that, is a result of your indoctrination.

Indoctrination is preventing me from seeing what the thinking capacity of an adult is opposed to a child?

What's the thinking capacity of an adult? Is it a matter of gauging how typical adults think?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
19-05-2016, 05:13 AM
Dumb Atheist Sayings
(19-05-2016 02:03 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  "Self-evident" is another way of saying "because I said so."

No, self-evident means, "not needing to be demonstrated or explained; obvious."

My parents also took it as self-evident, they saw no need to demonstrate or explain to me that God exists, because they saw it as obvious.

A variety of research shows that children are prone to teleological beliefs, believing in a purposeful order, even children raised in non-religious homes. The reasons for why it appeared self-evident likely has more to do with these natural inclinations, than someone "saying so".

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
19-05-2016, 05:35 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2016 05:40 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(19-05-2016 05:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 02:03 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  "Self-evident" is another way of saying "because I said so."

That's a crock of shit. It's an unfounded assumption. Just because it seems obvious doesn't make it so; and even what might be considered obvious, if it is true, can be demonstrated if it is in fact true. 1 + 1 = 2 might seem to be so obvious as to be self evident, but even this very basic set theory can be both demonstrated and tested.

You god cannot. You god can't rise to the level of demonstrability of basic addition. Let that simmer for a bit.

(19-05-2016 05:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  My parents also took it as self-evident, they saw no need to demonstrate or explain to me that God exists, because they saw it as obvious.

Much as I'm sure the slave owning white aristocrats of the Antebellum south saw the institution of slavery; it was due to the obvious superiority of the white man, of course. You and your parent's reasoning are flawed for the very same reasons.

Not that I'd expect you to honestly understated that.

(19-05-2016 05:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A variety of research shows that children are prone to teleological beliefs, believing in a purposeful order, even children raised in non-religious homes. The reasons for why it appeared self-evident likely has more to do with these natural inclinations, than someone "saying so".

By that reasoning, ghosts and spirits are also a 'self evident truth'. As is every concept of god over conceived, including all of the ones mutually exclusive with yours. Congrats, you've just disproved yourself.

*slow clap*

F.Y.I. 'self evident' is the last bastion of ignorance for those with nothing else left to defend their unreasonable and indemonstrable, yet preferred, conclusions.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-05-2016, 05:36 AM
(19-05-2016 05:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 04:59 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Like I said, your god is an imaginary friend and you never grew up beyond the thinking capacity of a child. The fact that you can't or won't see that, is a result of your indoctrination.

Indoctrination is preventing me from seeing what the thinking capacity of an adult is opposed to a child?

What's the thinking capacity of an adult? Is it a matter of gauging how typical adults think?

You don't think there is a difference between the way an adult uses their brain and a child?

I guess that isn't surprising. You've taken your imaginary friend and extrapolated it all the way to a god.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
19-05-2016, 05:37 AM
(19-05-2016 05:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

My parents also took it as self-evident, they saw no need to demonstrate or explain to me that God exists, because they saw it as obvious.

A variety of research shows that children are prone to teleological beliefs, believing in a purposeful order, even children raised in non-religious homes. The reasons for why it appeared self-evident likely has more to do with these natural inclinations, than someone "saying so".

Do you really think these notions of god are truly a priori without influence of parents? The most basic things like suckling are really the basic elements of humans that don't need to be demonstrated.

Yes there are dualistic thought patterns in children's minds before things like other individual and body awarenesses really do kick in better. The odd thing is how that would connect to someone as some sort of notion of anyway connecting to deities because there is zero direct combination between those ideas.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
19-05-2016, 05:51 AM
Tommy, you know what an axiom is right?

According to the original definition they were taken as "self evident" - things that people would assume. Stuff like "Parallel lines never meet".

The thing is, one does not challenge "self-evident" things purely by convention - there's somewhat of an agreement that challenging them is a bit of a waste of time. But then every now and then someone does come along and say "But what if?" In the case of geometry, when people *started* challenging the accepted Euclidean axioms, many new and interesting things were discovered, you didn't *have* to accept them as they were. Euclidean geometry turned out to be a special case of a class of much more general geometries.

In the same way, you can't finesse your way out of proving God by taking his existence as "self-evident". It's *not* self-evident. If you want to claim an objective existence for your God - i.e. that God exists outside your brain - and you want us to agree, then you can't just say "self-evident, QED".

Prove it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
19-05-2016, 05:55 AM
(19-05-2016 05:36 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You don't think there is a difference between the way an adult uses their brain and a child?

I guess that isn't surprising. You've taken your imaginary friend and extrapolated it all the way to a god.

I don't see a difference between the way my brain works compared to a typical adult brain, or that my thinking capacity is any less that of normal adult human being.

You're the one that claimed, "I never grew up beyond the thinking capacity of a child", and indoctrination is preventing me from the seeing that. And I'm asking you what it is I'm supposedly not seeing in typical adult thinking capacities?