Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 02:00 PM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
(19-05-2016 12:59 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  quote snipped to save space

None of that really addresses how or why you find Christian theology to be remotely credible. But one thing it most definitely is not is self-evident.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
19-05-2016, 02:08 PM
(19-05-2016 07:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 07:27 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Which is why the notion of believing having any value to any sway or notion of reward or disapproval is nonsensical on any front.

Strange how you seem to connect the notions of these questions one could have in an absolute or aggressively sidestepped way. So to you telling someone to doubt their own existence in your retelling of how its something you cant do its AVOID thinking you Do exist?

I didn't put in terms of thinking, but in terms of believing. I can think about a variety of things that I don't believe in. I can think of a variety of what if scenarios. I can think of what it might mean for God to not exist. But I can't believe that God doesn't exist. I can't say to myself hey man, believe God doesn't exist, in the same way I can't say hey man think of summer.

That is because you do not use critical thinking. I'm pretty sure you don't understand what critical thinking is.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
19-05-2016, 02:11 PM
(19-05-2016 01:38 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 08:43 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You do realize the other option is that I fucked your mother, right? Drinking Beverage

You should probably step away from this subject because it's making it clear that you don't understand context.

My mom's a senior citizen, so while technically you might have fucked her, she definitely ain't popping out no babies.

The more likely option is that I fucked your wife, lol.

Your mom gave birth to you when she was a senior citizen? Because when I fucked her, she was as spry as a spring chicken.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
19-05-2016, 02:17 PM
(19-05-2016 02:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 01:38 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  My mom's a senior citizen, so while technically you might have fucked her, she definitely ain't popping out no babies.

The more likely option is that I fucked your wife, lol.

Your mom gave birth to you when she was a senior citizen? Because when I fucked her, she was as spry as a spring chicken.

Jesus fuck guys. Facepalm

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
19-05-2016, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2016 02:28 PM by TheBeardedDude.)
(19-05-2016 02:17 PM)morondog Wrote:  [quote='TheBeardedDude' pid='999582' dateline='1463688696']

You don't know my life!

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
19-05-2016, 02:29 PM
(19-05-2016 01:45 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Physical, testable, verifiable evidence usually. As opposed to the bullshit mindgames, logical fallacies and delusions theists usually provide. That has been mentioned, on multiple occasions.

An answer which says less, than you think it does. Let’s say you were to ask for evidence of big foot, I might have some idea as to what sort of stuff you have in mind here, foot prints, video footage, a trap we setup in his last known location, capturing him, verifying that we uncovered a previously unknown species, fitting the physical descriptions commonly associated with Big Foot.

At least here, there’s perhaps some mutual understanding as to what type of physical, testable, evidence you have in mind.

What would be the equivalent here when it comes to God? What sort of physical, testable, evidence could we conclude God, like the way we conclude there is a Rock, as opposed to something other than God?

Quote:I don't give a rodent's rectum what you believe.

I do.

And the question for me, is what would be required for me to not believe, to believe as you and others do. And far as I can tell, it seems that it would require some sort of allegiance to a sets of other beliefs, that would serve as means to erase a variety of beliefs that I already hold.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
19-05-2016, 02:29 PM
(19-05-2016 02:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 02:17 PM)morondog Wrote:  [quote='TheBeardedDude' pid='999582' dateline='1463688696']

You don't know my life!
Jesus fuck guys. Facepalm

Don't tell me to have sex fictional characters!

Thats a dumb thing atheists say, "fuck god!" No, no thanks. Not even Zeus and his swan Schwantz nor Freya.

And now this thread can become a historical Jesus thread too, why not go for it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-05-2016, 02:32 PM
(19-05-2016 12:49 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  When atheists ask for evidence of God, it never seems to be all that clear what any particular atheists is asking for. Only obstructed by the fact that there’s a variety of atheists, like Jerry Coyne, and Dawkins who would say that they can’t think of any type of evidence that would lead them to such a conclusion.

A fair hit. Personally, having "lost" my religious faith once, what would it take for me to believe again? I've asked myself this question more than once. I have spent decades overcoming my religious indoctrination and still find it difficult to put it all firmly behind me. So God should have a bit of an advantage, one would think. Still, having found simple faith insufficient, I'm going to need something more than promises and threats; I'm going to have to be shown something that can have no other possible explanation. What would that be? To be fair - as if I could be unfair to a super-being, I can't demand something ridiculous (a rock so heavy that even He can't lift it). It's a problem. Then I realized it isn't my problem at all, it's God's. If He is everything He's supposed to be, He knows better than anyone, even me, how to bring me back. In other words I should let go and let God, to borrow a favorite phrase of the faithful, and that is exactly what I've done. So far, though, the aether has been silent.

Oh crap!
[+] 3 users Like jabeady's post
19-05-2016, 02:37 PM
(19-05-2016 02:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Because when I fucked her, she was as spry as a spring chicken.

For reals? I always assumed it'd be like fucking a corpse, since she's also paralyzed from the waste down.

Little did I know.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
19-05-2016, 02:43 PM
(19-05-2016 06:23 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  But the thing here is, that I already believe in God, I can't choose not to believe in God. I can't stop myself from believing now, making myself lack a belief, than deliberate whether or not God exists, as if I don't hold a position already.

You're right that belief, and non-belief, are not choices, but compulsions. The thing is, you are allowed to question your own premises. Once you do that, it may allow you to shed compulsions.

Believe me, my loss of faith was not a lark; I was forced to question my premises by the circumstances in my life. Those circumstances caused me to dig deeper into the roots of my belief and see that they weren't well-constructed.

You can change your mind about something. You can change your mind about anything. It takes courage to question the axioms we hold dear. Do you have that courage? I don't know. But I know that for myself, as a believer, it was a ground-shaking moment when I wondered if the premises of my mental and emotional life weren't actually wrong.

Believe as you're compelled to believe, it's not a problem to me. But don't think for a moment that your little arguments can address my personal experiences, just as I don't think my rational arguments are anything more than spitballs sticking to your walls.

Until you can, and do, question your own premises, we may touch base with each other, or we may talk past each other.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post