Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 02:44 PM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
(19-05-2016 02:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 02:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Because when I fucked her, she was as spry as a spring chicken.

For reals? I always assumed it'd be like fucking a corpse, since she's also paralyzed from the waste down.

Little did I know.

She wasn't paralyzed before you were born. Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2016, 02:44 PM
(19-05-2016 02:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 02:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Because when I fucked her, she was as spry as a spring chicken.

For reals? I always assumed it'd be like fucking a corpse, since she's also paralyzed from the waste down.

Little did I know.

Ah right, I see you're out of ideas. Let's trash the thread then.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
19-05-2016, 02:49 PM
(19-05-2016 02:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 02:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  For reals? I always assumed it'd be like fucking a corpse, since she's also paralyzed from the waste down.

Little did I know.

Ah right, I see you're out of ideas. Let's trash the thread then.

It's what he does anyways. He's just not hiding it this time. But he's at the point now where abandonment is inevitable becaus he's backed himself into the loser's corner.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
19-05-2016, 02:51 PM
(19-05-2016 07:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't believe because that's what I've always done, but because I don't know how not to believe.

The first step in any learning is admitting ignorance.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
19-05-2016, 02:59 PM
(19-05-2016 08:09 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 07:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And you still don't understand what it means to have been indoctrinated.

You’re the one that claimed I was indoctrinated as a child. When pretty much all you know about my childhood is that my parents and community where believers, but were immigrants, from an entirely different culture setting than your own. And that I share a variety of religious beliefs with them. And that they didn’t discourage me from questioning.

Yet you seem to now be suggesting that these elements don’t necessarily mean indoctrination. So you must know some other details of my upbringing that I haven’t explicitly disclosed to you, to make your accusations of indoctrination hold as true.

And I would like to know what you think those elements are?

Can you tell that someone's indoctrinated based purely on what they believe? Or based on the factors that led them to hold those beliefs?

Quote:Demonstrate that the modern western world has more fears that cause parents to question things than:
1) the past western world
2) the modern eastern world
3) the past eastern world

You want me to demonstrate that different cultures, from different environments, different historical predicaments, often have different sets of fears as well? I never said the modern western world has more fears, than other parts of the world, that’s your straw man rendition of what I claimed. I doubt parents in Philadelphia are worried about mongooses eating their chickens, or their kids getting bit my rattlesnakes snakes on their way to school.

Do you honestly think that indoctrination doesn't happen? Have you asked yourself why religions tend to have geographic centers? Why is Hinduism more prevalent in India and less so in Iceland? Why Catholicism in Italy and less so in Myanmar?

That's right: because parents tend to live with their children, and on the whole, tend to hand down attitudes, beliefs, and outlooks. When you add into that mix that natural childish desire to seek parental approval, you get children who even if not actively indoctrinated are still steeped in the beliefs of their parents.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-05-2016, 03:12 PM
(19-05-2016 02:29 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  An answer which says less, than you think it does. Let’s say you were to ask for evidence of big foot, I might have some idea as to what sort of stuff you have in mind here, foot prints, video footage, a trap we setup in his last known location, capturing him, verifying that we uncovered a previously unknown species, fitting the physical descriptions commonly associated with Big Foot.

At least here, there’s perhaps some mutual understanding as to what type of physical, testable, evidence you have in mind.

What would be the equivalent here when it comes to God? What sort of physical, testable, evidence could we conclude God, like the way we conclude there is a Rock, as opposed to something other than God?

The bible does make falsifiable claims, such as all language originating from one event at the Tower of Babel. How do you process evidence that debunks this claim?

It's a simple matter to conclude the bible is a story book because of it's ridiculous claims and it can't be trusted to give reliable information about anything.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
19-05-2016, 03:36 PM
(19-05-2016 02:29 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  What would be the equivalent here when it comes to God? What sort of physical, testable, evidence could we conclude God, like the way we conclude there is a Rock, as opposed to something other than God?

Physical evidence, of course. A miracle would be nice. A Jesus-face in a tortilla, well, not so much.

Me, I adjudge each bit of evidence offered up on its own merits. Whatever angst that causes to you really isn't my problem. Entertain your own fantasies and be done with it.

But if you want to convince me, bring the goods as you see fit and listen when I accept them or reject them.

Me, I don't see that you're into listening very much.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Dumb Atheist Sayings
(15-05-2016 10:06 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  This really isn't the directionI was hoping this thread would take.

(15-05-2016 09:31 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Another thing I'd like to address is your statement:

First, this is an asshole statement that anyone who does not agree with you is automatically null and void. Fuck that shit!

You don't have to agree with anyone, you don't have to argue the point but to automatically disqualify any dissenters beforehand is childish and is for all tense and purposes having a little verbal tantrum.

I don't quite understand what I've done to offend you but I'm sorry for whatever part I've had in it. Could you do me a favour and take a few calming breaths and a healthy cup of coffee before hitting reply?

I do my best not to make "asshole statements" and what you have quoted above does not demonstrate that anybody who disagrees with me is axiomatically wrong, nor does it exclude or disqulaify dissenters. I'm sorry if you have taken it that way.

I'm simply saying that a newborn has no more capacity for belief or disbelief than a goat or a fern or a rock. Consequently you cannot be born an atheist, at least not using the biological definition of birth.

It's as meanigful to state that everybody is born a communist since they obviously don't support a fee-market economy. In this instance both concepts are human constructs that the average newborn has as much capacity to grasp as a cabbage plant. The infant is patently neither communist nor capitalist. It is a blank slate that has yet to form the mind that would qualify it for a meaningful opinion.

The discussion of how your mind forms later on is another matter, and one that's more meaningful IMO.

Hey paleophyte. I respect you for being so civil. There's a lot of pages in this thread, so forgive me for not reading the entire thing before posting.

A blank slate is not a theist, therefore it's an atheist. (atheist = not a theist) For your computer analogy: the computer is not turned on therefore it is turned off; therefore "it's an atheist" ....."it's not turned on"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
19-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Dumb Atheist Sayings
The politics analogy is apples and oranges. It's more like... no political stance vs. have a political stance (whether it be dem. rep. or communist). New borns don't have a political stance therefore they're the"atheists" for this analogy.

Best of luck hope you found my posts helpful. Smile

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
19-05-2016, 06:13 PM
(19-05-2016 06:05 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  The politics analogy is apples and oranges. It's more like... no political stance vs. have a political stance (whether it be dem. rep. or communist). New borns don't have a political stance therefore they're the"atheists" for this analogy.

Best of luck hope you found my posts helpful. Smile

There are no theist babies, no deist babies, no Communist babies, no supply-side babies, no Christian babies, no conservative babies, no Jewish babies, no skeptical babies, no Muslim babies, no liberal babies, no Stoic babies, no ...

There are only babies. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post