RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
Hmmm.
New thread name: "Are babies atheists?"

☆☆☆
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2016, 07:11 PM
(19-05-2016 06:16 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Hmmm.
New thread name: "Are babies atheists?"

depends on the seasoning, Smartass

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post
19-05-2016, 09:03 PM
(19-05-2016 02:29 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  What would be the equivalent here when it comes to God? What sort of physical, testable, evidence could we conclude God, like the way we conclude there is a Rock, as opposed to something other than God?

A very fancy way of saying you cannot provide evidence, which I would define as physical changes left behind after interacting with the Universe -- you know, just like evidence for anything else.

It's really not that hard. You either have it or you don't.

Not gonna lie, I know where my money is ... and it ain't on you producing evidence.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-05-2016, 09:27 PM
(19-05-2016 06:01 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 10:06 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  This really isn't the directionI was hoping this thread would take.

I don't quite understand what I've done to offend you but I'm sorry for whatever part I've had in it. Could you do me a favour and take a few calming breaths and a healthy cup of coffee before hitting reply?

I do my best not to make "asshole statements" and what you have quoted above does not demonstrate that anybody who disagrees with me is axiomatically wrong, nor does it exclude or disqulaify dissenters. I'm sorry if you have taken it that way.

I'm simply saying that a newborn has no more capacity for belief or disbelief than a goat or a fern or a rock. Consequently you cannot be born an atheist, at least not using the biological definition of birth.

It's as meanigful to state that everybody is born a communist since they obviously don't support a fee-market economy. In this instance both concepts are human constructs that the average newborn has as much capacity to grasp as a cabbage plant. The infant is patently neither communist nor capitalist. It is a blank slate that has yet to form the mind that would qualify it for a meaningful opinion.

The discussion of how your mind forms later on is another matter, and one that's more meaningful IMO.

Hey paleophyte. I respect you for being so civil. There's a lot of pages in this thread, so forgive me for not reading the entire thing before posting.

A blank slate is not a theist, therefore it's an atheist. (atheist = not a theist) For your computer analogy: the computer is not turned on therefore it is turned off; therefore "it's an atheist" ....."it's not turned on"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, are you trying to say atheists are turn-offs?!
20-05-2016, 12:12 AM
(19-05-2016 06:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 06:05 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  The politics analogy is apples and oranges. It's more like... no political stance vs. have a political stance (whether it be dem. rep. or communist). New borns don't have a political stance therefore they're the"atheists" for this analogy.

Best of luck hope you found my posts helpful. Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are no theist babies, no deist babies, no Communist babies, no supply-side babies, no Christian babies, no conservative babies, no Jewish babies, no skeptical babies, no Muslim babies, no liberal babies, no Stoic babies, no ...

There are only babies. Drinking Beverage

Only delicious babies...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
20-05-2016, 01:16 AM
(20-05-2016 12:12 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 06:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  There are no theist babies, no deist babies, no Communist babies, no supply-side babies, no Christian babies, no conservative babies, no Jewish babies, no skeptical babies, no Muslim babies, no liberal babies, no Stoic babies, no ...

There are only babies. Drinking Beverage

Only delicious babies...

[Image: EatBabies-1.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
24-05-2016, 07:01 AM
(19-05-2016 02:43 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 06:23 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  But the thing here is, that I already believe in God, I can't choose not to believe in God. I can't stop myself from believing now, making myself lack a belief, than deliberate whether or not God exists, as if I don't hold a position already.

You're right that belief, and non-belief, are not choices, but compulsions. The thing is, you are allowed to question your own premises. Once you do that, it may allow you to shed compulsions.

Believe me, my loss of faith was not a lark; I was forced to question my premises by the circumstances in my life. Those circumstances caused me to dig deeper into the roots of my belief and see that they weren't well-constructed.

You can change your mind about something. You can change your mind about anything. It takes courage to question the axioms we hold dear. Do you have that courage? I don't know. But I know that for myself, as a believer, it was a ground-shaking moment when I wondered if the premises of my mental and emotional life weren't actually wrong.

Believe as you're compelled to believe, it's not a problem to me. But don't think for a moment that your little arguments can address my personal experiences, just as I don't think my rational arguments are anything more than spitballs sticking to your walls.

Until you can, and do, question your own premises, we may touch base with each other, or we may talk past each other.

I can't speak for you, but for me personally, it has nothing to do with questioning my beliefs, as the path to unbelief, as commonly expressed here. In fact it wouldn't be about thinking either, but rather in believing some set of presuppositional beliefs, often held in the background, such as you can only believe things, based on this, but not this, etc....

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
24-05-2016, 07:12 AM
(19-05-2016 02:59 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Do you honestly think that indoctrination doesn't happen? Have you asked yourself why religions tend to have geographic centers? Why is Hinduism more prevalent in India and less so in Iceland? Why Catholicism in Italy and less so in Myanmar?

That's right: because parents tend to live with their children, and on the whole, tend to hand down attitudes, beliefs, and outlooks. When you add into that mix that natural childish desire to seek parental approval, you get children who even if not actively indoctrinated are still steeped in the beliefs of their parents.

No, I think that people often tend to share a variety of beliefs, views, values, etc.. with the culture, groups, etc.. they're a part of. And that these groups often reinforce their beliefs and values as well, through a variety of means, such as shame, respect, role models, etc...

If I was born in Iraq, I might have been something other than a christian, but then again my family is from a country that's predominately Hindus, and converted just a few generations ago.

And within in a few short years, China will likely be the largest christian nation in the country, in spite of having strong political and cultures forces to contend with.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
24-05-2016, 07:32 AM
(19-05-2016 03:12 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  The bible does make falsifiable claims, such as all language originating from one event at the Tower of Babel. How do you process evidence that debunks this claim?

I never believed the bible claimed that language originated at the Tower of Babel, not even as a child, anymore so than I believed that Three Little Pigs claimed that the pigs can talk. So I had nothing to "debunk" as you put it. I never imagined the writers of such a story, saw themselves as having some special power than granted him visions from a past several thousands years prior to him, as to how language came about. But wrote stories, the way writers who want to convey a meaning, use narratives to do so.

This perhaps also has to do with the fact that my parents and the adults in my life didn't grow up in the Western world, but to a background that didn't tend to look at religious scriptures through the lens of literal, metaphorical, historical, scientific, etc.., such categorization were not particularly a part of our cultural history the way it might been in the western world.

Quote:It's a simple matter to conclude the bible is a story book because of it's ridiculous claims and it can't be trusted to give reliable information about anything.

People claim things about the bible, including yourself. The bible doesn't make much of the claims often thrown upon it by such individuals, and more often than not such individuals tend to be engaging in a great deal of anchrostic thinking, that seems to suggest that non-historical writings are a recent phenomenon.

I can safely say that even though I grew up and went an ethnic evangelical church, and heard the Tower of Babel story in Sunday school, no one ever claimed that this is where languages originated from, even if the people instructing me might or might not have believed that, they didn't explicitly ever tell us that. I heard it the same way, that I heard stories in elementary school.

24-05-2016, 07:40 AM
(19-05-2016 03:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Physical evidence, of course. A miracle would be nice. A Jesus-face in a tortilla, well, not so much.

What would physical evidence of a miracle look like, as opposed to physical evidence of something for which we currently don't have an adequate natural explanation for?

What are physical requirements for a "miraculous" property, as opposed to newly discovered natural property?

Quote:Me, I adjudge each bit of evidence offered up on its own merits. Whatever angst that causes to you really isn't my problem. Entertain your own fantasies and be done with it.

But if you want to convince me, bring the goods as you see fit and listen when I accept them or reject them.

Me, I don't see that you're into listening very much.

I listen, I just think the tendency here is to be a bit defensive, and often appeals to common crutches like the whole "if you want to convince me" thing, when it's already been stated that's not my intention or interest.

I'll likely create another thread for it, but the topic I'm interested in currently, is how does some such as myself unbelieve. Is what distinguishes me from you, a matter of questioning, or even thinking, or something else? I'm of the view that's it's something else, that it's more matter of subscribing to some set of not fully disclosed presuppositional beliefs, more than thinking.

My question don't require you to convince me of unbelief, that God doesn't exist, all it requires is just some degree of self-awareness on the part of the individuals I'm addressing.