Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2016, 03:13 PM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
Quote:It's like a really beautiful woman - who laughs like a nasty old crone......It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.....

YES!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2016, 03:25 PM
(14-05-2016 02:16 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Atheism simply means "without a god". When you are born, you have no religion, therefore you have no god, therefore you are an atheist. By definition. Not an organized member of an "atheist" group, not an anti-theist. An atheist. A person with no god.

Semantics.

Is being without a phraxl also a thing? We're you born an aphraxl? Or did the question even arise? If the question never arose, then it was too unimportant to consider. If it was too unimportant to consider, then considering it served and serves no practical purpose. If it served and serves no practical purpose, then what's the point?

But hey, if you think it's worth wasting energy on, have at it. I'm done, and will devote my own energy from now on to questions that matter. So go ahead and declare yourself the winner.

Oh crap!
14-05-2016, 03:31 PM
(14-05-2016 03:25 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Semantics.

Is being without a phraxl also a thing? We're you born an aphraxl? Or did the question even arise? If the question never arose, then it was too unimportant to consider. If it was too unimportant to consider, then considering it served and serves no practical purpose. If it served and serves no practical purpose, then what's the point?

But hey, if you think it's worth wasting energy on, have at it. I'm done, and will devote my own energy from now on to questions that matter. So go ahead and declare yourself the winner.

Oh crap!

Well, it's not a thing because throughout human history, no one mentioned any "phraxl". However, even if the word "aphraxl" does not exist, yes, we are all "aphraxl". We are without "phraxl".
It's pretty clear you have no idea what semantics even is.

This is not about winning. But it doesn't surprise me that you think it is.

Also, you can have a conversation without being a whiny little bitch. Just a thought.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
14-05-2016, 03:41 PM
(14-05-2016 03:31 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Also, you can have a conversation without being a whiny little bitch. Just a thought.
Some people can.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
14-05-2016, 03:44 PM
(14-05-2016 02:18 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 10:56 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Well

They all believe something stupid. Look at Ben Carson. The guy is a neurosurgeon, right? I don't have the aptitude for that I must confess but when he says the earth is 5000 years old and doesn't believe in evolution which IS biology the duality at play is incredible. I can't connect a clear a to b dot from theism to stupidity though but it is quacking like a duck. I think less of the person's critical thinking skills and that's tied in with intellect but that's as far as I can go. But then there's a base part of me that just laughs inside and thinks yes it means you're stupid...you know, like a gut reaction. I know it's not that simple and you're right though. So the duality is at play in me too I guess. Hmmm...

Ironic

I get what you're saying....

Ben Carson - brilliant neurosurgeon -- believes in some really boneheaded bullshit....

It's like a really beautiful woman - who laughs like a nasty old crone......It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.....

You want to like the guy - but the stupidity really puts ya off.............

Brilliant neurosurgeon? I donno. What I read is that the patients that he operated on didn't have all that great an outcome. Several died. I'd have to find the New York Times article on him. It's quite an eyeopener.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-05-2016, 05:03 PM
(14-05-2016 11:25 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 07:27 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  We're all born atheists. Wrong. We're all born with empty little heads that soak up information from our environment. The thinking part that is our mind forms from this and if our environment is full of religiosity then our minds are "born" as believers.

Anybody who can't understand the basic concepts doesn't count. Their incapable of forming an opinion. It's as meaningful as including goats, ferns and rocks amongst our ranks and it makes us sound desperate enough that we had to recruit from the under 2 demographic. If it's still in diapers it doesn't count.
I feel the need to vocally back up what Chas said because I think it is important. Just like we aren't born democrat or republican, we are certainly not born theists. So if you aren't a theist, what are you? An atheist. The simple definition of atheism as "not theism" Is important. Especially because so many religious people misunderstand what atheism is (and think it's some sort of religion).

I agree entirely with you both on that misunderstanding. Atheism is not a religion and that's an important point. So you need to make thatpoint well.

We're all born a squealing pink larva without a thought in our head. The part of us that does the thinking the bit that calls itself "me" isn't there yet. I emerges from the interaction of the devellopping brain with its physical and cultural environment.

If that environment is full of religion then the "me" that does the thinking will be "born" a believer.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
14-05-2016, 05:26 PM
(14-05-2016 05:03 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 11:25 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I feel the need to vocally back up what Chas said because I think it is important. Just like we aren't born democrat or republican, we are certainly not born theists. So if you aren't a theist, what are you? An atheist. The simple definition of atheism as "not theism" Is important. Especially because so many religious people misunderstand what atheism is (and think it's some sort of religion).

I agree entirely with you both on that misunderstanding. Atheism is not a religion and that's an important point. So you need to make thatpoint well.

We're all born a squealing pink larva without a thought in our head. The part of us that does the thinking the bit that calls itself "me" isn't there yet. I emerges from the interaction of the devellopping brain with its physical and cultural environment.

If that environment is full of religion then the "me" that does the thinking will be "born" a believer.

Suppose a religious couple gives a child up for adoption who happens to end up in an atheist family. Could the child develop some theistic tendencies independent of their upbringing? Perhaps they’ll turn out like some kind of hybrid.

I’d be curious to learn if theism (or atheism) has a genetic component.
14-05-2016, 05:34 PM
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/god-spot-...40518.html
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
14-05-2016, 05:37 PM
(14-05-2016 12:20 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 11:45 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  You can say -- or insinuate -- whatever you wish Yes. I'm not the Speech Police, I'm just not keen on overbroad generalizations like the one I mentioned.

I was trying to tickle your funny bone... I obviously failed miserably. Weeping

My coffee hadn't kicked in yet, sweetie ... I'm sorry.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
14-05-2016, 05:38 PM
(14-05-2016 01:55 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 11:36 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  The point is not about having babies on our side or prove that atheists are numerous. The point is to show that religion is taught and being a Christian is not something that just comes naturally. I actually had a Christian once tell me that even if he were born in India or Japan, he'd still become a Christian. Fate and all.

You can't imagine the non-existence of something until you first imagine it's existence. Therefore, atheism came *after* the rise of theism. This seems to imply that belief in god is more "natural" than nonbelief. Before then, the subject does not arise.

Try to teach a child about atheism before teaching them about theism. It took centuries of the development of mathematics before the concept of "zero" took root.

Oh crap!

Naturalistic fallacy in action.