Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 03:14 PM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
(24-05-2016 02:59 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 02:46 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  You've just described a terminal case of confirmation bias. Facepalm

Judging that best anyone has here as an alternative possibility is to "lack belief" one way or the other, confirmation bias seems to not be the case.

Whatever reason there maybe as to why I don't lack a belief one way or the other, the explanation is unlikely to be confirmation bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly, I think most would lack belief in specific god claims due to specific evidence against those claims, that rules out the biblical god.

Is there a specific god you are trying to shove into the gaps of your confirmation bias?

Part of confirmation bias is being unwilling to recognize and admit falsifiable claims in regards to specific god claims and then disregard those god claims based on the evidence.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
24-05-2016, 03:17 PM
(24-05-2016 07:40 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  What are physical requirements for a "miraculous" property, as opposed to newly discovered natural property?

Well, it seems to me that a natural property should be explicable at one level or another, and that this knowledge should be applicable to other aspects of nature as the hypothesis/theory is refined.

Miracles, on the other hand, would appear to be unique occurrences shorn of any connection to the rest of nature aside from their effects.

This is really just a poorly-disguised GotG argument.
24-05-2016, 03:22 PM
(24-05-2016 08:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Also I'm not sure how a belief in an immaterial being, involves question of material traces of him.

And here we have yet another bald claim bereft of any support.

(24-05-2016 08:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  What would the evidence of purpose look like?

I'm sorry, I'm not really interested in nailing Jell-O to the wall. The rate at which you're introducing unfounded claims really undermines any utility this conversation might have. Your arbitrary assignation of purpose and design isn't impressive, precisely because the claims lack any support.

We may as well discuss the purpose of the Keebler elves, for all the good it will do us.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
24-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Also, I think we're going to need a bit of this:

[Image: k2-_539add93-e9f2-445b-b384-7f712a9b3d1d.v1.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
24-05-2016, 04:09 PM
(24-05-2016 02:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The default position using this as rule, wouldn’t be purposelessness. It would be a lack of belief one way or the other, as to whether it was purposeful or not. The default position isn’t life is ultimately meaningless. The default position would be a lack of belief one way or the other. Or do you think otherwise and believe, the default position is life is ultimately meaningless? Perhaps we need to take up with the Rational Thinking committee, to see if we’re following the rules here properly.

The default position would be unbelief until proven otherwise. You can be as dishonest with yourself as you choose. And once you're done with your Rational Thinking Committee, you can try pulling your head out of your ass and arguing honestly.

(24-05-2016 02:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I stand here unbelieving in every position that’s an alternative to what I believe, this should go with out saying.

It should go without saying. However dishonest apologists such as yourself insist on playing word games. It sort of complicates things doesn't it?

(24-05-2016 02:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  One can subscribe to lack of belief.....

Out of curiosity, are you planning on saying anything meaningful or relevant soon?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
25-05-2016, 06:50 AM
(24-05-2016 03:14 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Not exactly, I think most would lack belief in specific god claims due to specific evidence against those claims, that rules out the biblical god.

What's the biblical God, is that the God according to fundie evangelicals? According to Catholics, Mainline Protestants, Eastern Orthodox? Do all these major branches of Christianity subscribe to the "biblical god" as you under the term to mean?

Do you mean something more along the lines of what you see a denominational God, a God concept as understand by a particular types of theists, likely fundie evangelicals, who believe the world if a few thousands years old, etc..?

Quote:Is there a specific god you are trying to shove into the gaps of your confirmation bias?

No, for sake of argument, and to avoid have to deal with the baggage from your fundie upbringing or influence, I'm just speaking of a non-specific one.

You have yet to substance your claims of confirmation bias. Confirmation bias would require an alternative position, that I'm giving disproportionately less consideration to. Judging that your position, is no position at all, lack of belief, confirmation bias doesn't apply.

Quote:Part of confirmation bias is being unwilling to recognize and admit falsifiable claims in regards to specific god claims and then disregard those god claims based on the evidence.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here, or which claims your speaking about. Is this disregard in relationship to evidence for an alternative position? If not than, your allegations of confirmation don't hold up.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-05-2016, 06:57 AM
(25-05-2016 06:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 03:14 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Not exactly, I think most would lack belief in specific god claims due to specific evidence against those claims, that rules out the biblical god.

What's the biblical God, is that the God according to fundie evangelicals? According to Catholics, Mainline Protestants, Eastern Orthodox? Do all these major branches of Christianity subscribe to the "biblical god" as you under the term to mean?

Do you mean something more along the lines of what you see a denominational God, a God concept as understand by a particular types of theists, likely fundie evangelicals, who believe the world if a few thousands years old, etc..?

Quote:Is there a specific god you are trying to shove into the gaps of your confirmation bias?

No, for sake of argument, and to avoid have to deal with the baggage from your fundie upbringing or influence, I'm just speaking of a non-specific one.

You have yet to substance your claims of confirmation bias. Confirmation bias would require an alternative position, that I'm giving disproportionately less consideration to. Judging that your position, is no position at all, lack of belief, confirmation bias doesn't apply.

Quote:Part of confirmation bias is being unwilling to recognize and admit falsifiable claims in regards to specific god claims and then disregard those god claims based on the evidence.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here, or which claims your speaking about. Is this disregard in relationship to evidence for an alternative position? If not than, your allegations of confirmation don't hold up.

I think fatbaldhobbit has it right, you have NOTHING meaningful to say, all you do is talk in vague terms and Chopraisms, then try to shift the burden of proof. Drinking Beverage

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
25-05-2016, 07:05 AM
(24-05-2016 04:09 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  The default position would be unbelief until proven otherwise. You can be as dishonest with yourself as you choose. And once you're done with your Rational Thinking Committee, you can try pulling your head out of your ass and arguing honestly.

Again, so the default position should be a lack of belief in life being ultimately meaningful, or meaningless, until proven to us otherwise?

And you also lack a belief one way or the other here, is that correct?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-05-2016, 07:13 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2016 07:17 AM by Tomasia.)
(25-05-2016 06:57 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I think fatbaldhobbit has it right, you have NOTHING meaningful to say, all you do is talk in vague terms and Chopraisms, then try to shift the burden of proof. Drinking Beverage

I see nothing vague or Chopraistic about any the questions I asked of you. You're one appealing to variety of terms like "Biblical God", as if we have some shared meaning here, as to what that means.

You're the one accusing me of confirmation bias, and yet avoid actually supporting that, because you can't. There's no alternative position in which I'm not giving consideration to, for that accusation to hold up. Judging that alternative here is a lack of belief, confirmation bias is not applicable.

The tendency among atheists such as yourself, when it comes to self-reflective questions, is to appeal to their crutch, "prove to me x is true", even in discussion that have nothing to do with convincing the other of our views.

25-05-2016, 07:20 AM
(24-05-2016 03:22 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 08:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Also I'm not sure how a belief in an immaterial being, involves question of material traces of him.

And here we have yet another bald claim bereft of any support.

(24-05-2016 08:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  What would the evidence of purpose look like?

I'm sorry, I'm not really interested in nailing Jell-O to the wall. The rate at which you're introducing unfounded claims really undermines any utility this conversation might have. Your arbitrary assignation of purpose and design isn't impressive, precisely because the claims lack any support.

We may as well discuss the purpose of the Keebler elves, for all the good it will do us.

I already pointed out a variety of things that scream purpose to me, and convey a teleological sense of the world, our desire for meaning, truth, goodness, the ability of matter to organize itself into, conscious, self-aware creatures, with moral and creative capacities.

And you seem to be suggesting that one can't see purpose in these factors, yet haven't particularly disclosed why that is? Why can't I infer purpose from factors like this?