Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2016, 10:16 AM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
(25-05-2016 09:41 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-05-2016 09:13 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Define what this exact purpose is in a falsifiable matter. Answer this question- what would the universe look like that has no ultimate purpose?

Probably one in which matter lacks the properties to form such aspects, that no combination of it produces such forms. One in which concept likes goodness, truth, meaning, were not significant pursuits of our lives, one in which the common thread among human beings, is not the pursuit of the sacred, a sense that there's some transcendent order to it all.

That's meaningless word salad and is not falsifiable.

(25-05-2016 09:41 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  One in which you and I wouldn't be here, discussing it.

You've already come to a conclusion and are making your observations fit your predetermined conclusion, classic confirmation bias.

(25-05-2016 09:41 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I can only see the unconvincing nature of arguments otherwise, I can observe that even among individuals such as yourself who lack a belief, seem to also find the idea of meaningless universe, unconvincing as well, that you prefer to lack a belief on the question one way or the other.

The answer is evidence. Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
25-05-2016, 10:20 AM
(25-05-2016 10:06 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  So, since you can't win, you weren't actually playing to begin with?

It's a game I don't play, and I find myself repeating this for too many times here.

Quote:Lacking a belief in god is not the same thing as lacking beliefs.

It's not. It's just that those who tend to define their position as lacking belief in regards to the question, of God, often appeal to lacking a belief in a variety of other topics as well, from my experience. They don't tend to apply it exclusively to theism.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-05-2016, 10:23 AM
(25-05-2016 10:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's not. It's just that those who tend to define their position as lacking belief in regards to the question, of God, often appeal to lacking a belief in a variety of other topics as well, from my experience. They don't tend to apply it exclusively to theism.

Yes, that's generally called skepticism.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
25-05-2016, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2016 11:24 AM by Tomasia.)
(25-05-2016 10:16 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  You've already come to a conclusion and are making your observations fit your predetermined conclusion, classic confirmation bias.

No those observations lead me to this conclusion. As previously pointed out to you, confirmation bias would require an alternative position to this, which I'm applying less consideration to. You can level a variety of accusations in regards to my belief, but your claim of confirmation bias is unsubstantiated. Particularly when you're gauging it in relationship to your lack of belief.

Quote:
(25-05-2016 09:41 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I can only see the unconvincing nature of arguments otherwise, I can observe that even among individuals such as yourself who lack a belief, seem to also find the idea of meaningless universe, unconvincing as well, that you prefer to lack a belief on the question one way or the other.

The answer is evidence. Facepalm

The answer is evidence? Does the evidence point to the universe being ultimately meaningless, or ultimately meaningful? Or does the evidence in your view show itself as inconclusive one way or the other?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-05-2016, 10:43 AM
(25-05-2016 10:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-05-2016 10:06 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  So, since you can't win, you weren't actually playing to begin with?

It's a game I don't play, and I find myself repeating this for too many times here.

Quote:Lacking a belief in god is not the same thing as lacking beliefs.

It's not. It's just that those who tend to define their position as lacking belief in regards to the question, of God, often appeal to lacking a belief in a variety of other topics as well, from my experience. They don't tend to apply it exclusively to theism.

"It's a game I don't play, and I find myself repeating this for too many times here. "

It's something you say but clearly you're lying about.

"It's not. It's just that those who tend to define their position as lacking belief in regards to the question, of God, often appeal to lacking a belief in a variety of other topics as well, from my experience. They don't tend to apply it exclusively to theism."

People give you examples to demonstrate what a lack of belief is, so you assume there is a connection? People describe to you how not believing in a god is similar to not believing in Santa, so you assume what exactly?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
25-05-2016, 10:49 AM
(25-05-2016 10:33 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-05-2016 10:16 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  You've already come to a conclusion and are making your observations fit your predetermined conclusion, classic confirmation bias.

No those observations lead me to this conclusion. As previously pointed out to you, confirmation bias would require an alternative position to this, which I'm applying less consideration to. You can level a variety of accusations in regards to my belief, but your claim of confirmation bias is unsubstantiated. Particularly when you're gauging it in relationship to your lack of belief.

Quote:The answer is evidence. Facepalm

The answer is evidence? Does the evidence point to the universe being ultimately meaningless, or ultimately meaningful? Or does the evidence in your view show itself as inclusive one way or the other?

As previously pointed out to you, since you can't even define what this alleged purpose is in a falsifiable manner, you have no evidence to back up your claim. You don't even posses a starting point to objective observation, so all you have left is- confirmation bias.

The universe is flurm. Thumbsup

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
25-05-2016, 11:49 AM
(25-05-2016 10:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's a game I don't play, and I find myself repeating this for too many times here.

Weeping My heart bleeds for you.

(25-05-2016 10:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's not. It's just that those who tend to define their position as lacking belief in regards to the question, of God, often appeal to lacking a belief in a variety of other topics as well, from my experience. They don't tend to apply it exclusively to theism.

Of course. Whatever you say. Facepalm

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
25-05-2016, 12:19 PM
(25-05-2016 10:49 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  As previously pointed out to you, since you can't even define what this alleged purpose is in a falsifiable manner, you have no evidence to back up your claim. You don't even posses a starting point to objective observation, so all you have left is- confirmation bias.

I'm not sure how you present allegation of purpose of purposelessness, meaning, meaningless, in a falsifiable manner, since they would be ontological positions. I guess one could say they are positions as unfalsifiable as physicalism, or ontological naturalism

So perhaps you can accuse me of holding an unfalsifiable belief, because the alternative universe in which these factors are absent does not exist.

I provided a variety of factors which lead me infer purpose, that I've repeated numerous times here. So far, no one's been able to state what is particularly wrong about drawing such an inference based on these factors. At best from the position of unbelief, they state they're not convinced one way or the other. And perhaps you hold to a position, that avoids holding any unfalsifiable beliefs, avoiding ontological positions all together as a result.

Perhaps you can level both of these allegations, but you still are not able to substantiate your claim of confirmation bias, and it seems you don't really have a clear understanding of the concept either.

It seems according to you, that if a person holds a belief you're not convinced off, or a belief that's unfalsifiable, than this in and of itself implies confirmation bias. Of course this would be a misunderstanding of the concept though

25-05-2016, 12:26 PM
(25-05-2016 12:19 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-05-2016 10:49 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  As previously pointed out to you, since you can't even define what this alleged purpose is in a falsifiable manner, you have no evidence to back up your claim. You don't even posses a starting point to objective observation, so all you have left is- confirmation bias.

I'm not sure how you present allegation of purpose of purposelessness, meaning, meaningless, in a falsifiable manner, since they would be ontological positions. I guess one could say they are positions as unfalsifiable as physicalism, or ontological naturalism

So perhaps you can accuse me of holding an unfalsifiable belief, because the alternative universe in which these factors are absent does not exist.

I provided a variety of factors which lead me infer purpose, that I've repeated numerous times here. So far, no one's been able to state what is particularly wrong about drawing such an inference based on these factors. At best from the position of unbelief, they state they're not convinced one way or the other. And perhaps you hold to a position, that avoids holding any unfalsifiable beliefs, avoiding ontological positions all together as a result.

Perhaps you can level both of these allegations, but you still are not able to substantiate your claim of confirmation bias, and it seems you don't really have a clear understanding of the concept either.

It seems according to you, that if a person holds a belief you're not convinced off, or a belief that's unfalsifiable, than this in and of itself implies confirmation bias. Of course this would be a misunderstanding of the concept though

This is the nature of your delusions, you deny your own biases.

[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
25-05-2016, 12:45 PM
(25-05-2016 12:19 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

As an aside, if anyone could simply point to god and say there he is, then anyone could see him, go over to him, ask questions, get direct answers.

In my search, I get unfalsifiable mubo-jumbo, philosophical arguments, silly buzzwords like "physicalism" or "ontological naturalism" to cover up the fig leaf of a god that refuses to materialize in this universe.

You see, it's all misdirection, it's hand-waving and excuse making, All I want is for any alleged god to be powerful enough to actually show up and answer questions in a real manner, without mysterious ways or hiding behind things like subjective feelings.

Until you can point to this thing and say there it is! Then it isn't really there, it does have to be real enough to where people can actually see it, touch it, ask it questions.

Until you can do that, it's all just imaginary, vague and unfalsifiable.