Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2016, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2016 06:00 PM by SitaSky.)
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
I don't like when atheists say "I believe in science." It makes it seem like your belief is equal to a spiritual one and instead it's better to say "I trust the validity of the scientific method." or "I trust that the intentions of the scientific community isn't to disprove a God but to simply discover the truth,religion is not interested in the truth." Anything that pits belief vs. belief is bad, it should always be truth vs. belief or facts vs. myths.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like SitaSky's post
14-05-2016, 06:15 PM
"Hot enough for ya?"

No! 107° weather with 100% humidity isn't enough! We need more heat, apparently!

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
14-05-2016, 06:16 PM
For me it is much of what comes out of Silverman.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
14-05-2016, 07:20 PM
(14-05-2016 05:51 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I don't like when atheists say "I believe in science." It makes it seem like your belief is equal to a spiritual one and instead it's better to say "I trust the validity of the scientific method." or "I trust that the intentions of the scientific community isn't to disprove a God but to simply discover the truth,religion is not interested in the truth." Anything that pits belief vs. belief is bad, it should always be truth vs. belief or facts vs. myths.

That only works if you let them set the rules for the conversation. I believe that the plane will make it to Denver because I have faith in the science that makes it work. If they want to play semantic games I'll have to ask them for their blood type and a number for their next of kin.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Eh... I can't think of anything exclusive to atheists that is stupid. Especially anything that I say. Everything I say is fuckin' gold and worthy of remembrance.
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
14-05-2016, 08:28 PM
(14-05-2016 08:04 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  ...
Everything I say is fuckin' gold and worthy of remembrance.

That's called the earmuffs fallacy.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 12 users Like DLJ's post
14-05-2016, 08:29 PM
(14-05-2016 07:20 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 05:51 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I don't like when atheists say "I believe in science." It makes it seem like your belief is equal to a spiritual one and instead it's better to say "I trust the validity of the scientific method." or "I trust that the intentions of the scientific community isn't to disprove a God but to simply discover the truth,religion is not interested in the truth." Anything that pits belief vs. belief is bad, it should always be truth vs. belief or facts vs. myths.

That only works if you let them set the rules for the conversation. I believe that the plane will make it to Denver because I have faith in the science that makes it work. If they want to play semantic games I'll have to ask them for their blood type and a number for their next of kin.

It's funny that way. I have "faith" in science and engineering, in that I know how that shit works, and have seen what an airliner goes through before it is certified for flight worthiness. There isn't a whole lot that mother nature can dole out that can bring them down, nowadays- especially since we usually dodge the big shit. I still hate to fly with a passion. I did it for years, and have never been hurt as badly (by other people) as when I was driving a car. I've had some scares on some flights, never have been hurt.
14-05-2016, 08:37 PM
(14-05-2016 08:29 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 07:20 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  That only works if you let them set the rules for the conversation. I believe that the plane will make it to Denver because I have faith in the science that makes it work. If they want to play semantic games I'll have to ask them for their blood type and a number for their next of kin.

It's funny that way. I have "faith" in science and engineering, in that I know how that shit works, and have seen what an airliner goes through before it is certified for flight worthiness. There isn't a whole lot that mother nature can dole out that can bring them down, nowadays- especially since we usually dodge the big shit. I still hate to fly with a passion. I did it for years, and have never been hurt as badly (by other people) as when I was driving a car. I've had some scares on some flights, never have been hurt.
See? You can say the scare words and the archangels don't come for you. Yes
14-05-2016, 08:58 PM
(14-05-2016 03:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 02:18 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I get what you're saying....

Ben Carson - brilliant neurosurgeon -- believes in some really boneheaded bullshit....

It's like a really beautiful woman - who laughs like a nasty old crone......It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.....

You want to like the guy - but the stupidity really puts ya off.............

Brilliant neurosurgeon? I donno. What I read is that the patients that he operated on didn't have all that great an outcome. Several died. I'd have to find the New York Times article on him. It's quite an eyeopener.

I can't and won't speak to his 'brilliance' but I will point out neurosurgeons rarely *always* have great outcomes. Also patients often have unreasonable expectations of how a surgery will go. Or hear the words 'surgery went fine' but lack the understanding of recovery.

My husband attended a conference once that put the surgical outcome for neuro somewhere around 60% overall -- this included the simple to extraordinary.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-05-2016, 09:15 PM
(14-05-2016 01:55 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 11:36 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  The point is not about having babies on our side or prove that atheists are numerous. The point is to show that religion is taught and being a Christian is not something that just comes naturally. I actually had a Christian once tell me that even if he were born in India or Japan, he'd still become a Christian. Fate and all.

You can't imagine the non-existence of something until you first imagine it's existence. Therefore, atheism came *after* the rise of theism. This seems to imply that belief in god is more "natural" than nonbelief. Before then, the subject does not arise.

It is not about imagining the non-existence of gods, it is simply not having a belief in them. If one has never been introduced to the concept, one can't have the belief.
Atheism is the default.

Quote:Try to teach a child about atheism before teaching them about theism. It took centuries of the development of mathematics before the concept of "zero" took root.

There is nothing to teach. You seem to misunderstand what "lack of belief" means.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post