Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2016, 10:51 AM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
Quote:Being an atheist does not mean knowing gods and rejecting them. It means being without a god.

May I have my own brand then? Because to me it means knowing there is no God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2016, 11:01 AM
(15-05-2016 10:51 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:Being an atheist does not mean knowing gods and rejecting them. It means being without a god.

You could make up your own word for "I have knowledge that gods do not exist".

How about "nil-deitists"? Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
15-05-2016, 11:05 AM

And maybe to me "sheep" means "cow". Sadly, we don't get to decide what a word means on our own.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
15-05-2016, 11:12 AM
I'm editting out the parts that I didn't think related to the discussion for the purposes of clarity and brevity. It has become evident to me that we are talking at complete cross-purposes here.

(15-05-2016 10:25 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 10:06 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  This really isn't the directionI was hoping this thread would take.

I don't quite understand what I've done to offend you but I'm sorry for whatever part I've had in it. Could you do me a favour and take a few calming breaths and a healthy cup of coffee before hitting reply?

I do my best not to make "asshole statements" and what you have quoted above does not demonstrate that anybody who disagrees with me is axiomatically wrong, nor does it exclude or disqulaify dissenters. I'm sorry if you have taken it that way.

I'm simply saying that a newborn has no more capacity for belief or disbelief than a goat or a fern or a rock. Consequently you cannot be born an atheist, at least not using the biological definition of birth.

It's as meaningful to state that everybody is born a communist since they obviously don't support a fee-market economy. In this instance both concepts are human constructs that the average newborn has as much capacity to grasp as a cabbage plant. The infant is patently neither communist nor capitalist. It is a blank slate that has yet to form the mind that would qualify it for a meaningful opinion.

The discussion of how your mind forms later on is another matter, and one that's more meaningful IMO.

Quote:I don't quite understand what I've done to offend you but I'm sorry for whatever part I've had in it. Could you do me a favour and take a few calming breaths and a healthy cup of coffee before hitting reply?

Ah, innocent denial and condescension so early in the morning.... delicious. Drinking Beverage

AND you removed my quote fo your statement that I referred to... intentionally or "accidently"?

Quote:I do my best not to make "asshole statements" and what you have quoted above does not demonstrate that anybody who disagrees with me is axiomatically wrong, nor does it exclude or disqualify dissenters.

Yes it does (this is the quote you removed):

Quote:Anybody who can't understand the basic concepts doesn't count. Their incapable of forming an opinion. It's as meaningful as including goats, ferns and rocks amongst our ranks and it makes us sound desperate enough that we had to recruit from the under 2 demographic. If it's still in diapers it doesn't count.

Clearly you did discount dissenter and nullify their opinions ahead of time. Maybe you should try your condescension with a side cream, instead of bullshit next time.

As for the rest of your assertions, still more non-relevant bullshit.

Please allow me to explain. You've misunderstood my meaning entirely, possibly because I was unclear. The quote above that you have in bold should read, "Anybody [e.g: an infant] who can't understand the basic concepts [regarding belief/disbelief] doesn't count [as an atheist or theist]. Their [infants, goats, ferns and rocks] incapable of forming an opinion."

That quote was not directed at potential opponent. It refers soley to those whose minds are at the nascent formative stages. I am very much not the sort to dismiss opposing views in that way.

I was honestly shocked by the intensity of your response but if this is how you have misinterpretted my statement then I completely understand your fury. I'd have been less charitable. I'm sorry that I wasn't more clear.

Peace?
-Paleo

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
15-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Well I just penciled it in on the margin of my dictionary!!! I think THAT lends credibility to my definition.

Church!

Wait on a second ??? Sheep aren't small furry cows???

This is just too much!!!
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
15-05-2016, 11:13 AM
(15-05-2016 11:01 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 10:51 AM)ImFred Wrote:  May I have my own brand then? Because to me it means knowing there is no God.

You could make up your own word for "I have knowledge that gods do not exist".

I think Dawkins called that "gnostic atheism" or some such. There was a biaxial table of gnostic/agnostic and theist/atheist. Or was that Hitchens? I get confused.
15-05-2016, 11:19 AM
(15-05-2016 11:13 AM)I Am Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 11:01 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  You could make up your own word for "I have knowledge that gods do not exist".

I think Dawkins called that "gnostic atheism" or some such. There was a biaxial table of gnostic/agnostic and theist/atheist. Or was that Hitchens? I get confused.

pfft.... who are these Dawkins and Hitches characters anyway... nobody's! Laugh out load

Probably, I was goofin' around. Tongue

15-05-2016, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2016 11:26 AM by Heatheness.)
(15-05-2016 11:12 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I'm editting out the parts that I didn't think related to the discussion for the purposes of clarity and brevity. It has become evident to me that we are talking at complete cross-purposes here.

(15-05-2016 10:25 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Ah, innocent denial and condescension so early in the morning.... delicious. Drinking Beverage

AND you removed my quote fo your statement that I referred to... intentionally or "accidently"?

Yes it does (this is the quote you removed):

Clearly you did discount dissenter and nullify their opinions ahead of time. Maybe you should try your condescension with a side cream, instead of bullshit next time.

As for the rest of your assertions, still more non-relevant bullshit.

Please allow me to explain. You've misunderstood my meaning entirely, possibly because I was unclear. The quote above that you have in bold should read, "Anybody [e.g: an infant] who can't understand the basic concepts [regarding belief/disbelief] doesn't count [as an atheist or theist]. Their [infants, goats, ferns and rocks] incapable of forming an opinion."

That quote was not directed at potential opponent. It refers soley to those whose minds are at the nascent formative stages. I am very much not the sort to dismiss opposing views in that way.

I was honestly shocked by the intensity of your response but if this is how you have misinterpretted my statement then I completely understand your fury. I'd have been less charitable. I'm sorry that I wasn't more clear.

Peace?
-Paleo

Okay, yes, we are at cross purposes. I apologize, I misunderstood who you were speaking of. Of course, peace. Smile

Addition: But you're still wrong. No qualifiers are necessary for the meaning of "no god beliefs". The concept of god does not have to be in play and rejected in order to be an atheist. Anything and everything without god belief is technically atheist.

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
15-05-2016, 11:25 AM

I would say that atheism = not being convinced of a god or not believing in a god. Stuff like that.
If you would say that you know for sure that there's no god, then you would be a gnostic theist.
If you would say that you don't know for sure, but you are currently not convinced, then you would be an agnostic atheist.

☆☆☆
15-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Jesus guys, the word is Greek, I'm Greek.

It's had many meanings since it first appeared (from heathen, to infidel, to agnostic, to godless) but its core meaning ("α" -without, "θεός" - god) means simply that: without a god.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post