Dumb Christian Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 08:18 PM by SitaSky.)
Dumb Christian Sayings
I recently got reminded of a common saying that Christians love when someone dies especially a child and they say "God just needed another angel." When I was younger it sounded nice to me but then I realized, is God up in Heaven looking down and trying to find a kid he can kill because he needs another angel? Can't he just make another one? Of course like most Christian sayings it's just dumb if you think about it too much but I just don't see how it can get worse than imagining God killing kids because he's got an odd number of angels and he likes to keep things even. Angel

A couple others I hate for example are "So and so is a God fearing Christian." Because why would you want to be around someone who doesn't fear the wrath of God and the prospect of going to Hell? Seems like a real great person to me, why do good because it's the right thing? Nope! Fear is all you need!

Another one is,"I will win this competition/game/whatever if God wills it." Yeah, because all those years of hard work and training to get here means nothing, it will only be rewarded if God favors you above your opponents for some arbitrary reason you'll never know because he's not going to tell you, what a great system! Thumbsup

What other dumb things do you hear Christians say all the time that make no sense or are just plain stupid/immoral?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like SitaSky's post
03-03-2016, 08:04 PM
RE: Dumb Christian Sayings
Don't forget the classic: "God works in mysterious ways". The "get out jail" card of christianity.

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
[+] 5 users Like Seeking_Truth's post
03-03-2016, 08:05 PM
Sort of in-line with your last one, but when they grant god due for something that was entirely the product of human knowledge and labour.

For example saying it is a miracle of god when an ill kid is cured by a physicians work.
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post
03-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Technically, dumb people don't say anything.

Your point is mute moot.

Tongue

[+] 11 users Like DLJ's post
03-03-2016, 08:09 PM
By far the most annoying: God (or Jeebus) loves you. On earth, god's kind of love generates restraining orders.

Plus anything that "passes understanding."
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
03-03-2016, 08:10 PM
"I'll pray for you."
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
03-03-2016, 08:25 PM
When I was a kid, my mother would say good night to me and I would say good night and then she would say, "See you in the morning," and she would not let me got to bed unless I said, "god willing." What a sick exchange and tradition. I wrote a blog post about it once.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
03-03-2016, 08:28 PM
My dad used to spank me when I said "oh my gosh," because it was clearly derived from the oh-so-blasphemous "oh my god." Rolleyes

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
03-03-2016, 08:29 PM
(S)he's in a better place.

God won't give you more than you can handle.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
03-03-2016, 08:46 PM
God helps those who help themselves.

And the most annoying one for me: GOD BLESS AMERICA!

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 4 users Like mgoering's post