Dumb Christian Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2016, 08:23 PM
RE: Dumb Christian Sayings
(12-05-2016 04:33 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 04:01 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  There was a time I tried with all my might to come to a belief in God and what that might mean to me. When I would tell people how hard it was for me to come to any kind of belief or generate some kind of faith, I was told...

"Fake it 'til you make it."

Wait, why do I need to "fake" a relationship with something that purports to be the creative, governing force of everything, even initially? I need to believe before I could have the "proof?" Why would I do that when in every other area of my life, I wait for proof before I believe?

Unwittingly, those well-meaning people pushed me away from the idea that faith was the answer to anything. I never did properly thank them.

I heard the same from family and friends, "If you seek God, he will reveal himself to you." Now this "revealing" seems to be dependent on me seeking him first and wanting to believe it so I could imagine he's revealing himself like "Hey I passed that hard test! God is good!" but how would I know for sure?

It's like those guys who go hunting for Bigfoot, they find traces of him like bits of fur, tracks, etc. so for a theist, it's the same way, they have all the proof they need because they want to believe and they're looking for him. This is one of the main reasons confirmation bias is such a huge issue for theists and why their "proof" is anecdotal and usually not worth investigating.

Yeah, it's always of the presuppositional variety, you have to BELIEVE first before you get proof.

But that's the con they always play, if you already believe, you'll lower your standard for evidence and accept anecdotes, personal revelation, etc.

So it's not really any kind of proof, it's simply a process of allowing yourself to be gullible and accept their biased viewpoint without any skeptical filter.

If you're willing to do that, you're already a believer and you don't need proof. Facepalm

[Image: 64c7a05d7b978ed0239a0bc6d4966858.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
12-05-2016, 08:42 PM
(12-05-2016 11:31 AM)smileyjose86 Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 08:11 AM)Nurse Wrote:  But if you're saved by grace you have Jesus in your heart and will produce fruit of the spirit - you will do good works as a byproduct and won't do bad things. But we all fall short of the glory of god so we need his grace. And when we have his grace we will do good works...

Oh - so I can't stand "I have Jesus in my heart." No, you have blood in it.

A better question to ask is, how can a husband prove his love for his wife by words(verb) or actions? The answer most christians would give is actions.

And after this I'd ask and what is god word(verb) or action? and the answer obviously is word. hahahahahahaha

What greater love hath any man than a bitch dog who would give her life for her puppies!
12-05-2016, 10:12 PM
You're being decieved by the devil!!

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
[+] 2 users Like Seeking_Truth's post
13-05-2016, 07:21 AM
(12-05-2016 11:26 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  "Today was a very special day for me. I graduated from Ivy Tech Community College of Kokomo with an associates degree in accounting. That's all I was going for. Nothing more. But God decided to bless me above that. I graduated on the dean's list. I graduated with honors. And I graduated with outstanding student in accounting. God decided to bless me with those as well. I couldn't have done it on my own. I had the help and support of my family, friends, teachers, my church and God. Thank you all of you for all the help and support you have shown me on this journey so far."

So... 90% of what that guy listed was the help he got from other humans (and don't forget your free will apologetics; they chose to help him, not God), and the other 10% is divine blessing. Do all the people God didn't bless get to go on Facebook and publicly bitch that God is screwing them over? I mean, it would be consistent with that guy's views, even if it hurts a lot of Christian's feelings.

(12-05-2016 08:23 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Yeah, it's always of the presuppositional variety, you have to BELIEVE first before you get proof.

But that's the con they always play, if you already believe, you'll lower your standard for evidence and accept anecdotes, personal revelation, etc.

Most of them are smart enough to know that this is how cults work. I remember being in my 20s and having that very uncomfortable realization. I think I stamped out my cognitive dissonance by saying "yabut my beliefs are correct, so it's okay". Basically, my beliefs aren't cult-like, because special pleading.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
26-05-2016, 12:07 PM
"It's not a religion, it's a relationship!"

Uh-huh. Right.

Is that what your church has been telling the IRS?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
26-05-2016, 09:09 PM
(12-05-2016 10:12 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  You're being decieved by the devil!!

Ugh. I've heard this multiple times.

☆☆☆
26-05-2016, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2016 11:47 AM by ClydeLee.)
Any non ironic notion of, It's a SIGN, is quite dumb.

Even got responses in that type of people professing to have been given a sign though randomized letter arrangements in word with friends.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Remember Nancy Lieder, who received a sign from God that Zeta Reticulans were warning about the approach of Planet X? (I think that's what it was, they all run together) The sign: An unwrapped Reece s Piece in her package of candy.

Oh crap!
27-05-2016, 11:18 AM
(27-05-2016 10:55 AM)jabeady Wrote:  Remember Nancy Lieder, who received a sign from God that Zeta Reticulans were warning about the approach of Planet X? (I think that's what it was, they all run together) The sign: An unwrapped Reece s Piece in her package of candy.

Oh crap!

Keep on the funny farm
Always on the funny farm....

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
14-06-2016, 02:33 PM
I feel kinda bad bumping this, given it's about 3 weeks old, but...from a group I'm in.

"Talking to Atheists can give you spiritual cancer." I very nearly replied, "Talking to atheists has given me more faith than you all have."

"Abba, Father, Daddy..." to start prayers. For fudge's sake people, stop butchering Hebrew solemnic forms of address by baby-fying it.

"Well Jesus ate with sinners, prostitutes, and tax collectors, so..." and then how what they're doing isn't bad. If one truly believes, then one is not trying to game the system on Grace like that, by excusing actions instead of repenting.

(11-03-2016 08:56 AM)Dex Wrote:  Preacher: god is good
Congregants: all the time
Preacher: all the time
Congregants: god is good.
My mother's worship band leader does that all the time and it's so contrived it drives me insane. Plus I hear some of the faculty at Liberty University do it in class.

(12-05-2016 04:01 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  There was a time I tried with all my might to come to a belief in God and what that might mean to me. When I would tell people how hard it was for me to come to any kind of belief or generate some kind of faith, I was told...

"Fake it 'til you make it."
There's an entire song about that sort of attitude by Matthew West called "The Motions". It's done really well in Christian pop music sales. For an idea, here's the chorus:
Quote:‘Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
Without Your all consuming passion inside of me

--
Edit: Testing, does this make this post show up somehow?

Edit 2: Testing for mismatched quote tags as per Unfogged.

Edit 3: Hey, could a mod delete one of these double posts? I made a Preview Post editing mistake and double posted. x.x

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post