Dumb Christian Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2016, 02:45 PM
RE: Dumb Christian Sayings
(14-06-2016 02:33 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I feel kinda bad bumping this, given it's about 3 weeks old, but...from a group I'm in.

"Talking to Atheists can give you spiritual cancer." I very nearly replied, "Talking to atheists has given me more faith than you all have."

Er... that's very much not the desired result from our point of view. Shy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2016, 03:03 PM
(14-06-2016 02:45 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 02:33 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I feel kinda bad bumping this, given it's about 3 weeks old, but...from a group I'm in.

"Talking to Atheists can give you spiritual cancer." I very nearly replied, "Talking to atheists has given me more faith than you all have."

Er... that's very much not the desired result from our point of view. Shy

Would it help if I said "faith in humanity"? Wink

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
14-06-2016, 03:21 PM
(14-06-2016 03:03 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 02:45 PM)morondog Wrote:  Er... that's very much not the desired result from our point of view. Shy

Would it help if I said "faith in humanity"? Wink

That is a good point and it's funny how often Xians have tried to tell me about all the good things they get from their religion like happiness and peace, well I am happier and more at peace as an atheist so who's right?

They may have faith in God but we also have faith, I have faith the sun won't explode tomorrow. I used to always say I had faith I'd find true love one day, not something that can be proven but I was right. I did find it, and I do have faith in the human race, we can do great things. I just think we are better off without religion.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
14-06-2016, 04:13 PM
(14-06-2016 03:21 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 03:03 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Would it help if I said "faith in humanity"? Wink

That is a good point and it's funny how often Xians have tried to tell me about all the good things they get from their religion like happiness and peace, well I am happier and more at peace as an atheist so who's right?

They may have faith in God but we also have faith, I have faith the sun won't explode tomorrow. I used to always say I had faith I'd find true love one day, not something that can be proven but I was right. I did find it, and I do have faith in the human race, we can do great things. I just think we are better off without religion.
And an excellent point there; a lot of atheists I know are happier in general than many of the Christians I know. Small sample size and generalization going on, but still. And most definitely agreed on the faith in things like the sun not exploding tomorrow, or that humanity can do great things; flying home the other night, it was great to look out at the lights of cities and going, "We did that. Other animals can't say that they've built cities, tamed wilderness, etc. But we can."

As for faith in true love, I find that my faith in that is tested. Tongue But glad you found it!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
14-06-2016, 05:44 PM
(14-06-2016 03:21 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  They may have faith in God but we also have faith, I have faith the sun won't explode tomorrow.

Speak for yourself! Big Grin
I do not have faith that the sun will not explode tomorrow. I have a belief that it won't based on what is known about the sun and its expected lifetime. I trust the scientists based on their track record but that's not faith in the religious sense.

Quote:I used to always say I had faith I'd find true love one day, not something that can be proven but I was right. I did find it,

I'd view that as a combination of knowing that the odds of finding somebody are reasonably high and maybe a bit of hope mixed in. Again, that's not what the religious folks seem to mean by faith.

Quote: and I do have faith in the human race, we can do great things. I just think we are better off without religion.

I have less trust in humanity than you but I have no "faith" in anything. I certainly wouldn't argue the last point.

When faith is used to mean trust or hope it opens the door to equivocation and lets the theists claim that "faith in science" is no different than "faith in god".

I'll get off my high horse now...
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
14-06-2016, 05:58 PM
(14-06-2016 05:44 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I have less trust in humanity than you but I have no "faith" in anything. I certainly wouldn't argue the last point.

When faith is used to mean trust or hope it opens the door to equivocation and lets the theists claim that "faith in science" is no different than "faith in god".

I'll get off my high horse now...
Drinking Beverage

I obviously mean the first definition of faith and not the religious kind:

faith
noun
complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
"this restores one's faith in politicians"
synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction; More
strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

In the past when I've been asked "So you don't have faith in anything?" I'd say I do have faith but not in anything that can't be proven or could possibly happen. I mean the sun could explode tomorrow but like you said scientists have said it won't for another 4-5 billion years so I faith it won't.

Also the chances of me finding love, getting married, etc. is as strong possibility, it happens extremely often even if I don't get married falling in love and having that love returned is not an uncommon event but at the time I was single so I still had to have faith.

I always compare it to someone saying they are a track runner, they've done very well and won awards in school and they have faith in themselves that they can win an Olympic gold medal, that makes total sense and that faith can drive them to do great things. If you tell an old women who can't walk that she can have faith that she can win a gold medal track running that would be cruel because there is no reason to believe that's even possible, so yes I have faith but only within the realm of logical and reasonable possibilities, not fairy tale myths that feel good or day dream fantasies that have no basis in reality.

14-06-2016, 06:05 PM
(14-06-2016 05:58 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I obviously mean the first definition of faith and not the religious kind:

Understood... it's just a bit of a pet peeve because it allows for theists to try to confuse the issue by being able to claim that atheists have faith too when they are implying the wrong definition.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
14-06-2016, 06:10 PM
(14-06-2016 06:05 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 05:58 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I obviously mean the first definition of faith and not the religious kind:

Understood... it's just a bit of a pet peeve because it allows for theists to try to confuse the issue by being able to claim that atheists have faith too when they are implying the wrong definition.

It's totally fine just when I get presented that question I always have to define what I mean by "faith", I mean I could say I have faith I'll see a unicorn one day but that won't change how I treat other people, where I think we came from, what happens after we die, how important science is, etc. It's the religious faith that destroys minds in my view so yes faith is fine, believe whatever you want but don't let it make you into a terrible person.

[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
15-06-2016, 07:49 AM
[Image: Ck3AclhXEAAPoXM.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
20-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Just heard this today. It's a classic.

"The lord giveth and the lord taketh away"

Well that explains everything!

Sorry if this one has been already posted.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 2 users Like mgoering's post