Dumb Christian Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2016, 09:44 AM
RE: Dumb Christian Sayings
(27-06-2016 08:59 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 08:14 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Sorry you've been told those things RoseChaos Sad Much like SitaSky, I've been told similar, but on the fear of death/eternity. "Well you were Saved weren't you? Why worry? Just pray and read the Bible." I hope that you don't have to wait for Heaven to be happy and that it can find you here on Earth as well.

--

"Colleges will make your kid lose faith", "Colleges brainwash kids for atheism", etc. I always hear refrains of this from Evangelical circles, and when I was a Baptist, we actually had a Sunday School class in Senior year where they gave us the "evil liberal atheist college professors will try to make you lose faith in God" talk. Just saw another post like this in a Catholic board I go to, about how colleges are totally brainwashing kids into atheism because U of Miami has the nation's first 'atheism chair' and he said bad things about religion.

Let me just share something about my university experiences across 3 states. My first section of any college course was an adjunct who was also a pastor who liked talking about his sermon ideas before class. I knew about the various denominations of Christian faith of all of my faculty, everywhere I got a degree. Some pushed it (looking at you Mormon faculty), some didn't (looking at you fellow Catholics). I had only one anti-theist prof (who was teaching one last summer session before moving to his daughter's and starting hospice care), and he was dying of cancer and pretty bitter about that; he was the only one who even somewhat fit the stereotype. That's not to say I've not had or worked with atheist profs, just that they're not out to cull people's belief. Kevin Sorbo isn't representative of my colleague C. who teaches Philosophy; C. isn't about to demand his students cease believing in God just because he doesn't believe in God.

The stereotypes of this line of reasoning and the persecution complex films they've inspired is little better than spiritual masturbation.

kevin sorbo was not an atheist in that movie. he was just angry at god. it was the most ridiculous strawman "atheist" ive ever seen. i laughed out loud when he finally snapped and yelled "because he let her die!", referring to his wifes death and god allowing it.
I thought it was his mom's death? And yeah, but he self identified as atheist, even though he wasn't. Because actual atheism would be an out of context problem for Pureflix writers probably.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2016, 04:49 PM
(27-06-2016 09:44 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 08:59 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  kevin sorbo was not an atheist in that movie. he was just angry at god. it was the most ridiculous strawman "atheist" ive ever seen. i laughed out loud when he finally snapped and yelled "because he let her die!", referring to his wifes death and god allowing it.
I thought it was his mom's death? And yeah, but he self identified as atheist, even though he wasn't. Because actual atheism would be an out of context problem for Pureflix writers probably.

Simple. Much easier to create a monster and then tear it down than to deal with the actual humanity of those you consider your ideological opponents. It's the good old Straw Man.

ETA: You've likely noted they do it to other Christians, as well... can't be a Christian and believe in evolution, can't be pro-gay-rights, etc., etc., even though millions of Christians are both. They simply have a very narrow-minded view of the world.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
27-06-2016, 05:28 PM
(27-06-2016 04:49 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 09:44 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I thought it was his mom's death? And yeah, but he self identified as atheist, even though he wasn't. Because actual atheism would be an out of context problem for Pureflix writers probably.

Simple. Much easier to create a monster and then tear it down than to deal with the actual humanity of those you consider your ideological opponents. It's the good old Straw Man.

ETA: You've likely noted they do it to other Christians, as well... can't be a Christian and believe in evolution, can't be pro-gay-rights, etc., etc., even though millions of Christians are both. They simply have a very narrow-minded view of the world.

Agreed on all counts there, from the straw man to doing it to other Christians as well. Hell, "you can't be a real Christian if you're Catholic" is one I get a lot; lost a lot of "friends" I grew up with in my old Baptist church, when I came out as Catholic. I'd probably lose a lot more if I lost faith altogether, or even expressed very real doubts about points.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
01-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Just saw something - and the thought occurred ---

"God is my co-pilot" (seen on bumper sticker)

Think of this -- the monumental ego needed ---

A pilot is almost always the senior, more experienced pilot. The co-pilot is there to get training and hours in type of a particular aircraft ----

so what the bearer of the bumper sticker is saying --- is they are more knowledgeable than the alleged sky-daddy they worship........

Actually -- it's fitting in an odd sort of way, that I doubt they intended.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post