Dumb Christian Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 08:48 PM
RE: Dumb Christian Sayings
(03-03-2016 07:59 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I recently got reminded of a common saying that Christians love when someone dies especially a child and they say "God just needed another angel." When I was younger it sounded nice to me but then I realized, is God up in Heaven looking down and trying to find a kid he can kill because he needs another angel? Can't he just make another one? Of course like most Christian sayings it's just dumb if you think about it too much but I just don't see how it can get worse than imagining God killing kids because he's got an odd number of angels and he likes to keep things even. Angel

A couple others I hate for example are "So and so is a God fearing Christian." Because why would you want to be around someone who doesn't fear the wrath of God and the prospect of going to Hell? Seems like a real great person to me, why do good because it's the right thing? Nope! Fear is all you need!

Another one is,"I will win this competition/game/whatever if God wills it." Yeah, because all those years of hard work and training to get here means nothing, it will only be rewarded if God favors you above your opponents for some arbitrary reason you'll never know because he's not going to tell you, what a great system! Thumbsup

What other dumb things do you hear Christians say all the time that make no sense or are just plain stupid/immoral?

Yeah, I never understood what "He's a God fearing Christian" meant, until I read the Bible.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mgoering's post
03-03-2016, 09:39 PM
(03-03-2016 08:46 PM)mgoering Wrote:  GOD BLESS AMERICA!

That one never made any sense to me.

I mean did the entire country just sneeze? Huh
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
03-03-2016, 09:44 PM
(03-03-2016 07:59 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  What other dumb things do you hear Christians say all the time that make no sense or are just plain stupid/immoral?

Everything.

How can you tell when a christian is going to say something intelligent?

When they say "An atheist told me..."

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
03-03-2016, 09:49 PM
(03-03-2016 09:44 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 07:59 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  What other dumb things do you hear Christians say all the time that make no sense or are just plain stupid/immoral?

Everything.

How can you tell when a christian is going to say something intelligent?

When they say "An atheist told me..."

Ouch Laugh out load

"God has a plan" - usually said in response to the latest evidence that God has no %@#$ plan whatsoever.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-03-2016, 10:22 PM
"God is going to get you for that!"

I'm going on record that this thread is gonna have some legs. After all, there's the whole "Fundies say the Darndest Things" site as fodder.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
03-03-2016, 10:34 PM
My favorite is along the lines of, "Once I was in a car crash. A really bad one. No airbags and the thing rolled twice. Knocked out the teeth on the left side of my face, broke both legs, an arm, seven ribs and disslocated my eyeballs."

"Good thing God was watching out for me or I might have died!"

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
03-03-2016, 10:42 PM
"god is good always, always god is good"
As if moving one word, and repeating it makes the sentence more powerful.

Oh, and this isn't so much a saying, but I've always been stumped by their weird obsession with Jesus' blood. Funny story, I was like 8, and my uncle took me to his church with him. It was a more formal church, and they began singing old hymns about "the blood of the lamb". I was so horrified. I thought my uncle was some a part of some psychotic cult... Oh wait.. Consider
[+] 3 users Like EppurSiMuove's post
03-03-2016, 10:45 PM
(03-03-2016 10:34 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  My favorite is along the lines of, "Once I was in a car crash. A really bad one. No airbags and the thing rolled twice. Knocked out the teeth on the left side of my face, broke both legs, an arm, seven ribs and disslocated my eyeballs."

"Good thing God was watching out for me or I might have died!"

Living in Oklahoma, this has to be the worst for me. Every damn day someone is thanking Glob for letting them survive a disaster that any rational person would realize he could have prevented in the first place.
EDIT: ..IF he actually existed Wink
03-03-2016, 11:09 PM
"Alabanda shabadodipdipdipdipdip laraza bada dicda!"

"The Lawd's tellin' me sumthin' right now-ah!"

"Hey! You can't drink in church!"

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
04-03-2016, 12:34 AM

Every time they open mouth to talk about abortion, euthanasia or same sex marriages there is chance of hearing something stupid.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post