Dumb Christian Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2016, 11:26 AM
RE: Dumb Christian Sayings
I'm just gonna quote what somebody put on facebook recently....

"Today was a very special day for me. I graduated from Ivy Tech Community College of Kokomo with an associates degree in accounting. That's all I was going for. Nothing more. But God decided to bless me above that. I graduated on the dean's list. I graduated with honors. And I graduated with outstanding student in accounting. God decided to bless me with those as well. I couldn't have done it on my own. I had the help and support of my family, friends, teachers, my church and God. Thank you all of you for all the help and support you have shown me on this journey so far."

It's sickening to me that this guy thinks a magical space fairy gave him the ability to do this, instead of accomplishing it on his own. Ugh.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2016, 11:31 AM
(04-03-2016 08:11 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 08:05 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  "You don't get into heaven by works; it's by grace."

"So, if I believe in Jesus, I can do what I want?"

"No, you still have to repent of your sins."

"I thought that it was by grace, and not my actions."

"No, you still totally have to do and not do certain things, but those don't count as 'works'."

Apparently "works" is "actions taken other than the actions that get you into or keep you out of heaven". So, to put it another way "You don't get into heaven by actions that have nothing to do with you getting into heaven. It's grace, and actions that get you into heaven.". So, I guess heaven is Tautology Club. And we know the first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club!

So far as I can tell, the whole "grace not works" thing combined with the weird definition of "works" is to satisfy yet another contradiction in the Bible, because it flat-out says both. So, I guess we just redefine "works" until both make sense. Pretty much the same as God's all-loving nature, and the Trinity.
But if you're saved by grace you have Jesus in your heart and will produce fruit of the spirit - you will do good works as a byproduct and won't do bad things. But we all fall short of the glory of god so we need his grace. And when we have his grace we will do good works...

Oh - so I can't stand "I have Jesus in my heart." No, you have blood in it.

A better question to ask is, how can a husband prove his love for his wife by words(verb) or actions? The answer most christians would give is actions.

And after this I'd ask and what is god word(verb) or action? and the answer obviously is word. hahahahahahaha
12-05-2016, 11:48 AM
(09-03-2016 04:11 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 10:42 PM)EppurSiMuove Wrote:  "god is good always, always god is good"
As if moving one word, and repeating it makes the sentence more powerful.

Oh, and this isn't so much a saying, but I've always been stumped by their weird obsession with Jesus' blood. Funny story, I was like 8, and my uncle took me to his church with him. It was a more formal church, and they began singing old hymns about "the blood of the lamb". I was so horrified. I thought my uncle was some a part of some psychotic cult... Oh wait.. Consider

I am an atheist, but my entire family are Seventh Day Adventists. My youngest sister has down syndrome. I was in Tennessee with the family last year and accompanied them to church, they sang one blood song after another. I had never realized there were that many. Blood of the lamb, and power in the blood and washed in the blood and maybe even splashing thru the blood. Sister started to cry. we walked outside for some fresh air. My brother who is a preacher, but not on duty that day came out to find out why we walked out. "All that singing about blood." My sister mumbled thru her tears. "I don't like all that about the blood." My brother didn't even understand what she was talking about because they are not even aware of what they are singing at all.

hahahahahaha, man that is a good one even a person with down syndrome doesn't like the sound of the blood of the stupid lamb.
12-05-2016, 12:02 PM
(04-03-2016 09:23 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  "jesus died for our sins" i still dont really understand what the fuck that means. someone needs to explain it to me as if i were a 4 year old.

They blame every human that hasn't even been born for the disobedience toward the jewish god of adam and eve, it's all stupid. You don't have to understand that it's all bullshit! according to christians it's our fault adam and eve sinned(disobeyed god). And now we have to repent because we inherit our ancestor's sins and we also have to accept jesus to be saved from sin. It's all senseless crap they say jesus dying on the cross was a pleasant sacrifice to god in order to repair all sins of all humans, because jesus was an innocent being according to the bible. The funniest thing about this is that the father enjoyed crushing his own son Christ. And that it pleased him seeing his own son crucified. If that was his son and he crucified him, what is he not gonna do to you stupid christians? Christians are idiots!
12-05-2016, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 02:23 PM by Dom.)
(09-03-2016 04:11 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 10:42 PM)EppurSiMuove Wrote:  "god is good always, always god is good"
As if moving one word, and repeating it makes the sentence more powerful.

Oh, and this isn't so much a saying, but I've always been stumped by their weird obsession with Jesus' blood. Funny story, I was like 8, and my uncle took me to his church with him. It was a more formal church, and they began singing old hymns about "the blood of the lamb". I was so horrified. I thought my uncle was some a part of some psychotic cult... Oh wait.. Consider

I am an atheist, but my entire family are Seventh Day Adventists. My youngest sister has down syndrome. I was in Tennessee with the family last year and accompanied them to church, they sang one blood song after another. I had never realized there were that many. Blood of the lamb, and power in the blood and washed in the blood and maybe even splashing thru the blood. Sister started to cry. we walked outside for some fresh air. My brother who is a preacher, but not on duty that day came out to find out why we walked out. "All that singing about blood." My sister mumbled thru her tears. "I don't like all that about the blood." My brother didn't even understand what she was talking about because they are not even aware of what they are singing at all.

Yep. Because back in the day infections were the most common cause of death, and bleeding often preceded infection. So the word and the sight of blood caused powerful reactions. It lent itself perfectly for manipulation, and blood sacrifices would appease the gods, so they would not be hungrily causing folks to bleed...blood was terror much more so then than today.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-05-2016, 02:08 PM
"... one nation, under God,......"

Angry

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
12-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Dumb Christian Sayings
"God bless us" or something similar after a terrorist attack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-05-2016, 03:17 PM
"God bless America."
12-05-2016, 04:01 PM
There was a time I tried with all my might to come to a belief in God and what that might mean to me. When I would tell people how hard it was for me to come to any kind of belief or generate some kind of faith, I was told...

"Fake it 'til you make it."

Wait, why do I need to "fake" a relationship with something that purports to be the creative, governing force of everything, even initially? I need to believe before I could have the "proof?" Why would I do that when in every other area of my life, I wait for proof before I believe?

Unwittingly, those well-meaning people pushed me away from the idea that faith was the answer to anything. I never did properly thank them.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 1 user Likes TheMrBillShow's post
12-05-2016, 04:33 PM
(12-05-2016 04:01 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  There was a time I tried with all my might to come to a belief in God and what that might mean to me. When I would tell people how hard it was for me to come to any kind of belief or generate some kind of faith, I was told...

"Fake it 'til you make it."

Wait, why do I need to "fake" a relationship with something that purports to be the creative, governing force of everything, even initially? I need to believe before I could have the "proof?" Why would I do that when in every other area of my life, I wait for proof before I believe?

Unwittingly, those well-meaning people pushed me away from the idea that faith was the answer to anything. I never did properly thank them.

I heard the same from family and friends, "If you seek God, he will reveal himself to you." Now this "revealing" seems to be dependent on me seeking him first and wanting to believe it so I could imagine he's revealing himself like "Hey I passed that hard test! God is good!" but how would I know for sure?

It's like those guys who go hunting for Bigfoot, they find traces of him like bits of fur, tracks, etc. so for a theist, it's the same way, they have all the proof they need because they want to believe and they're looking for him. This is one of the main reasons confirmation bias is such a huge issue for theists and why their "proof" is anecdotal and usually not worth investigating.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post