Dumb Dynasty, "Convert atheists with a movie"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2014, 02:14 PM
RE: Dumb Dynasty, "Convert atheists with a movie"
(06-09-2014 01:58 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Here's the movie to convert atheists:
GOD IS NOT DEAD with Kevin Sorbo, I think. Not Nicolas Cage, but close enough.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/godlessindi...-not-dead/

Someone needs to make a movie that falsely shows Christians as crazy, fanatical, stupid, bible-thumping lobbyists who try to convert everyone around, to show them how does it look like when people make a caricature out of a group.
If only non-Christians weren't mostly stateists instead of atheists, that would be great Drinking Beverage

More unintentional irony, Lumi?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Realistically though, an actor probably doesn't give 2 shits what they play in. Be it religious or non-religious, so long as they get paid. Sooooo.... if religion pays well... and there's an open slot for acting....

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
06-09-2014, 02:48 PM
(06-09-2014 02:19 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Realistically though, an actor probably doesn't give 2 shits what they play in. Be it religious or non-religious, so long as they get paid. Sooooo.... if religion pays well... and there's an open slot for acting....

That might be true for the average actor but... Consider I don't think Nic Cage is hurting to pay a utility bill. He must be sowing some woo-ish oats.

As well, I couldn't give a fucking rat's ass about any of these ridiculous fantasy, spooky-woo movies. This shit doesn't even entertain - it's loathsome drivel.

If someone wants to see a thought provoking film about "the church" and it's relationship with "real life" and be moved beyond reconning, see a film called Calvary with Brendan Gleason. Gleason plays a contemporary priest in a small west Irish coast village. It's funny and a powerful, powerful film; pretty much evens the playing field on all accounts.

As for film: if it doesn't offer a glimpse of the truth of humanity, it isn't art and it certainly isn't entertainment.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-09-2014, 02:53 PM
(06-09-2014 02:48 PM)kim Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 02:19 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Realistically though, an actor probably doesn't give 2 shits what they play in. Be it religious or non-religious, so long as they get paid. Sooooo.... if religion pays well... and there's an open slot for acting....

That might be true for the average actor but... Consider I don't think Nic Cage is hurting to pay a utility bill. He must be sowing some woo-ish oats.

As well, I couldn't give a fucking rat's ass about any of these ridiculous fantasy, spooky-woo movies. This shit doesn't even entertain - it's loathsome drivel.

If someone wants to see a thought provoking film about "the church" and it's relationship with "real life" and be moved beyond reconning, see a film called Calvary with Brendan Gleason. Gleason plays a contemporary priest in a small west Irish coast village. It's funny and a powerful, powerful film; pretty much evens the playing field on all accounts.

As for film: if it doesn't offer a glimpse of the truth of humanity, it isn't art and it certainly isn't entertainment.

Yeah the last several religious movies have seemingly pissed off Christians more than anything. ESPECIALLY NOAH. Oh I am so glad that movie was made.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
(06-09-2014 02:53 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 02:48 PM)kim Wrote:  That might be true for the average actor but... Consider I don't think Nic Cage is hurting to pay a utility bill. He must be sowing some woo-ish oats.

Yeah the last several religious movies have seemingly pissed off Christians more than anything. ESPECIALLY NOAH. Oh I am so glad that movie was made.
Why did that piss them off - I haven't seen it and have no intention to anyway...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
06-09-2014, 03:08 PM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-09-2014, 03:09 PM
(06-09-2014 03:05 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Why did that piss them off - I haven't seen it and have no intention to anyway...

I didn't see it either ... no desire to.

I assume christees didn't like it because it wasn't done to their particular specifications.

Not quite christee enough for them, I would guess. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-09-2014, 03:10 PM
(06-09-2014 03:05 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 02:53 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Yeah the last several religious movies have seemingly pissed off Christians more than anything. ESPECIALLY NOAH. Oh I am so glad that movie was made.
Why did that piss them off - I haven't seen it and have no intention to anyway...

Here's a wonderful article from a batshit crazy theist who is mad that it isn't "accurate from a biblical perspective" .... heh
http://open.salon.com/blog/pam_malone/20...ovie_sucks

Here's another one claiming it is a "liberal political message" http://beginningandend.com/russell-crowe...hristians/

The amount of enraged Christians over a hollywood movie just makes me giggle a little inside.

[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
06-09-2014, 03:17 PM
"Go watch this movie so you can convert to this peaceful religion and be ready for Jesus to come back but first I need to sell my duck hunting products so people can shoot and kill animals created by God for fun and entertainment." Dodgy

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
13-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Hmm. Let me think about what I heard about just about every teacher vs. Christian student theme again.

1: Arrogant teacher.
2: Arrogant student
3: Teacher sweats or gets over-emotional then storms out hastily.
4: Winner wins by the size of his class applauded ego.
5: Nobody gives a dam if the poor teacher is jobless or injured. (They might as well kill the character for measure! They just adore that teacher so much.)

I forgot the details of the teacher vs. student themed story that I heard twenty years ago. What I easily recall, because it's not original, is the teacher struts in sure of himself, the student wins after chattering a bunch of whatever, and the class drools and applauds the student.

Two decades later, The Amazing Atheist on YouTube posts a video about a teacher vs. student story that he thought was BS. The teacher does the same thing as before, and this time the student is an army guy that starts talking about God and fighting for freedom. The student physically assaults the teacher and the class applauds the student for his jerk #$% remark. After that, I've seen comics with the usual version.