Dumb words.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2011, 09:00 AM
RE: Dumb words.
What amazes me is how many college graduates cannot write in proper English. It's not just that email has killed our writing - which it has. But, I've seen people try to right formal reports and briefings and they simply do not know how to write.

Or is that don't no how to right?

I've got my own glitches, though. I have a bad habit of whenever I write "its" I always spell "it's". I will always add that apostrophe. I even did it here and had to go back and delete it. it's just automatic with me. I know I do it and I just can't stop myself. It's (used correctly here) a sickness!

I also, when writing quickly, will just use "to" instead of "too" regardless of which is correct. I'm a busy man and can't always be bothered to type in that extra "o".

Finally, I see a lot of people confused "then" and "than", but I forgive them.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2011, 01:31 PM

(15-01-2011 09:00 AM)BnW Wrote:  What amazes me is how many college graduates cannot write in proper English. It's not just that email has killed our writing - which it has. But, I've seen people try to right formal reports and briefings and they simply do not know how to write.

The problem is that Universities and Colleges are getting bigger, classroom sizes are increasing and Professors just don't have enough time anymore. Tests and exams for most courses nowadays are multiple choice. It's easier for professors to just feed bubble sheets through scanners instead of actually mark anything. As a result, a person can get a degree without ever having to write.. anything. Sure there are English requirements, but that's ONE course (at least it is in my University) that any monkey can pass.
Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm just glad you didn't comment on my using "right" instead of "write" in my comment.

As to your point, I think it depends on what and where you study. I did my undergraduate at a very large institution but I was required to take both Freshman English composition and then later the school of business required an upper level business writing course for the purpose of ensuring I would not make a complete fool of myself in the work world. And, later in law school I did so much reading and writing I just became much better at it.

But, I think you are on to something with students not being given enough opportunities to write while in school

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-01-2011, 03:34 PM

(15-01-2011 01:45 PM)BnW Wrote:  I'm just glad you didn't comment on my using "right" instead of "write" in my comment.

As to your point, I think it depends on what and where you study. I did my undergraduate at a very large institution but I was required to take both Freshman English composition and then later the school of business required an upper level business writing course for the purpose of ensuring I would not make a complete fool of myself in the work world. And, later in law school I did so much reading and writing I just became much better at it.

But, I think you are on to something with students not being given enough opportunities to write while in school

And 'no' instead of 'know'! I got the point you were trying to make Wink

I can't speak about graduate schools. I'm mostly talking about undergrads who will do the absolute minimum to pass. I've met a few people who have figured out the secret to answering multiple choice without having to do a lot of studying for the subject!! I can't do it; multiple choice is a nightmare! I'd rather write long answers.

Oh.. another mistake that drives me crazy: Foreword/Forward.
15-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Maebee whe halve go tooo phar onn thiz thred. Aye thinc meye Engeesh iz geting tu goud Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
15-01-2011, 06:35 PM

(15-01-2011 09:00 AM)BnW Wrote:  What amazes me is how many college graduates cannot write in proper English. It's not just that email has killed our writing - which it has. But, I've seen people try to right formal reports and briefings and they simply do not know how to write.

I've got my own glitches, though. I have a bad habit of whenever I write "its" I always spell "it's". I will always add that apostrophe. I even did it here and had to go back and delete it. it's just automatic with me. I know I do it and I just can't stop myself. It's (used correctly here) a sickness!

I also, when writing quickly, will just use "to" instead of "too" regardless of which is correct. I'm a busy man and can't always be bothered to type in that extra "o".

Finally, I see a lot of people confused "then" and "than", but I forgive them.

No no, you have a point. With the internet though, theirs a lot more room for error, and for forgiving those errors, insofar as proper writing is concearned. Its not really necessary to correct mispellings, or write in any particular format or style, because its instant communication. Abreviating things, using as few letters as possible to get ones message across, and so on. LOL, I couldn't write out a proper resume to save my life these days!
04-02-2011, 04:07 PM
*Gaahh!* I'm in the grammar Nazi’s hideout! Help! Help!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
04-02-2011, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2011 05:41 PM by axiom90.)
I'm going to school to become an elementary teacher, where we will be educating students on the correct uses for "to" "too" and "two", "their", "they're", and "there", etc.... I don't know how my classmates are going to be able to teach their students to know the difference when even they don't know. It really is the majority of them too, I've noticed when peer reviewing papers and such. Nothing against them or anything, but it's just sad.
This post reminded me of a dumb sentence that I came across in another forum. It is officially my all time favorite dumb sentence ever.
The forum it's on is a hunting forum and the poster of the thread was talking about how he was squirrel hunting, and saw some great deer pass by.
And here is the response from someone:
"I hate that deer hunt they every where you hunt for them see deer."
Translation? Basically: "I hate it when you never see deer when you're actually deer hunting ,but when you're not deer hunting, you see tons!"

This is why education is important my friends!

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. – Susan B. Anthony
04-02-2011, 06:23 PM
JamesAtWar's vid has always been a classic for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj6QqCH7g0Q

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
04-02-2011, 11:48 PM
One that always gets me and I used to use the phrase myself:

Very Unique.

The very concept denies the definition of the word Unique.