Dumb words.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2011, 12:15 AM
RE: Dumb words.
That one doesn't seem completely wrong. There could be varying degrees of the unique quality. Unique can mean "the only one of its kind" but can also just mean "unusual."

Bowling a 300 ten games in a row is a unique performance.

Bowling a 300 ten games in a row as a 90 year old blind quadriplegic, using the severed head of Ryan Seacrest as a bowling ball... is a very unique performance.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2011, 08:53 AM
(05-02-2011 12:15 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  That one doesn't seem completely wrong. There could be varying degrees of the unique quality. Unique can mean "the only one of its kind" but can also just mean "unusual."

Bowling a 300 ten games in a row is a unique performance.

Bowling a 300 ten games in a row as a 90 year old blind quadriplegic, using the severed head of Ryan Seacrest as a bowling ball... is a very unique performance.

First, that's hilarious, but it would never work. Seacrest's head would warp somewhere around the 5th or 6th frame and you'd never be able to get it to go straight down the ally. And, even if you figured out the right "spin" for it, once it started warping it would continue so you'd have to find a new spin each time. And, eventually, it would just start to come apart. Plus, I don't think his head has enough mass to generate the force necessary to knock over 10 pins. So, please, let's keep our examples a little more realistic, shall we? If you had said Ben Rothlisburgers giant rock-filled head it would have been plausible.

Second, Godless is wright: there are no degrees of uniqueness. Phrases like "quite unique" or "very unique" may be used commonly but they are grammatically incorrect because something is unique or it is not. It's never comparably unique.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
05-02-2011, 10:57 AM
This one's more of a question. Is it grammatically correct to use the term, "unique to" as in, "His eye color was unique to the rest of his of his brothers"? If that was the case then I suppose there is an argument that can be made for varying degrees of uniqueness, since his eye color could be unique to his brothers, but not everyone. Otherwise, I tend to agree that something is either unique or it's not.

P.S. Godless isn't "wright", he's "right". (And for the record, the period belongs outside the quotation marks unless you are quoting a complete sentence) It's the grammar nazi thread, and I already got busted once, so I couldn't resist!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
05-02-2011, 12:26 PM
(05-02-2011 10:57 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  This one's more of a question. Is it grammatically correct to use the term, "unique to" as in, "His eye color was unique to the rest of his of his brothers"?

No, it's not ok. That's not what "unique" means. You need to do 2,000,000 Hail Mary's for even suggesting such a thing.

(05-02-2011 10:57 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  P.S. Godless isn't "wright", he's "right".

Damn. I can't believe I did that. I'm so ashamed. So very, very ashamed.

05-02-2011, 12:32 PM
BnW Wrote:
(05-02-2011 10:57 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  P.S. Godless isn't "wright", he's "right".

Damn. I can't believe I did that. I'm so ashamed. So very, very ashamed.

I think everyone will understand you. The Richard Dawkins' videos with Wendy Wright are traumatizing.Sad

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
05-02-2011, 12:33 PM
How about 1,000,000 hail marys (notice the lack of an apostrophy, since it's plural, not posessive) and 500,000 our fathers? Just to change things up a little.

05-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I think I mentioned this earlier but I have a thing for apostrophes. I use them all the time, whether they are necessary or not. It is like a sickness with me. Seriously. I need help.

As for the "our fathers", what is that exactly? A Hail Mary is just a long pass at the end of the game and I always figured they made you just throw down field until your arm is tired. Is an "our father" sex with a young boy?

05-02-2011, 03:55 PM
(05-02-2011 10:57 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  P.S. Godless isn't "wright", he's "right". (And for the record, the period belongs outside the quotation marks unless you are quoting a complete sentence) It's the grammar nazi thread, and I already got busted once, so I couldn't resist!

Nope. The comma or period always goes inside the quotation marks. Unless you're from Europe.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
05-02-2011, 04:04 PM
(05-02-2011 03:55 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(05-02-2011 10:57 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  P.S. Godless isn't "wright", he's "right". (And for the record, the period belongs outside the quotation marks unless you are quoting a complete sentence) It's the grammar nazi thread, and I already got busted once, so I couldn't resist!

Nope. The comma or period always goes inside the quotation marks. Unless you're from Europe.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

After consulting an english prof (I know, I know, can I get any nerdier??) she said it would be more accurate to say, "unless you're from anywhere other than the U.S." I didn't check, but I suspect your link was an American one.

05-02-2011, 05:56 PM
I've always liked David Cross' hatred of the misuse of "literally."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ly1UTgiBXM