Dumb words.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2011, 05:59 PM
RE: Dumb words.
Haven't watched the video yet, but YES! That's a good one. My head literally explodes when someone misuses that word! LOL

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Another that makes me want to correct people:

Me and Her went to the marketplace.
06-02-2011, 01:27 AM
I'm not qualified to be a grammar nazi, but there was a prounciation in my youth growing up in south Jersey that always got under my skin. Water and milk were commonly pronounced "wuter" and "melk". I hear it occasionally in Ohio, and it still pisses me off, but at least it isn't every person every day

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
06-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Quote:Water and milk were commonly pronounced "wuter" and "melk".
Wouldn't that count as a regional accent? I don't get why anyone would have a problem with accents/talking with bad grammar/dialects as long as people know the standard language too and understand to use the standard language when talking to someone from a different region.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
06-02-2011, 05:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2011 05:36 AM by Chesstime.)
I don't know what y'all are squalkin about! I aint got no problUms wit my inglish! Anyways, hoo said your inglish is any more better thEn mine.
Confused
OK that was fun. Well I'm no English major, but love a well written story. And sometimes or even most of the time, it's deliberate in fiction, to write in "character speak".

How would that wonderful character the Gentle Giant Hagrid have been so great if he suddenly started speaking perfect "Queens English"?

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
06-02-2011, 08:45 AM
(06-02-2011 02:45 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:Water and milk were commonly pronounced "wuter" and "melk".
Wouldn't that count as a regional accent? I don't get why anyone would have a problem with accents/talking with bad grammar/dialects as long as people know the standard language too and understand to use the standard language when talking to someone from a different region.
I honestly never contemplated whether it was a regional accent. I just figured it was closer to ebonics, as the same people who used those two pronunciations also had to "ax" me a question all the time. And I did happen to live about 5 blocks from a nasty neighborhood.

06-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Where in south Jersey are you from? And, you're mistake was being from south Jersey. All the cool kids were from no further south then Monmouth County (I'm originally from Monmouth, lived in Essex County (Maplewood) until 2 1/2 years ago when I fled to PA.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
06-02-2011, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2011 04:38 PM by SecularStudent.)
(05-02-2011 04:04 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(05-02-2011 03:55 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(05-02-2011 10:57 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  P.S. Godless isn't "wright", he's "right". (And for the record, the period belongs outside the quotation marks unless you are quoting a complete sentence) It's the grammar nazi thread, and I already got busted once, so I couldn't resist!

Nope. The comma or period always goes inside the quotation marks. Unless you're from Europe.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

After consulting an english prof (I know, I know, can I get any nerdier??) she said it would be more accurate to say, "unless you're from anywhere other than the U.S." I didn't check, but I suspect your link was an American one.

Yupp, punctuation is on the outside of the quotation marks if you are anywhere outside the U.S. Basically, when the U.S. separated from Britain, they changed a bunch of spelling and grammar in order to be distinct. Petty, really. What I love about Canadian grammar and spelling is that we don't care whether U.S. or British spelling/grammar is used Tongue
(06-02-2011 12:43 AM)Godless Wrote:  Another that makes me want to correct people:

Me and Her went to the marketplace.

Agh! It annoys me when people don't know when to use "I" or "me". It's a simple rule: if the sentence is still grammatically correct when you take out the "and" clause, then you've written it correctly.

Annoying: "They gave Suzie and I a present." Ugh >.<!

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
06-02-2011, 05:17 PM
(06-02-2011 09:15 AM)BnW Wrote:  Where in south Jersey are you from? And, you're mistake was being from south Jersey. All the cool kids were from no further south then Monmouth County (I'm originally from Monmouth, lived in Essex County (Maplewood) until 2 1/2 years ago when I fled to PA.
Haha, I had no choice in the Joisey matter. I was 10, my father was in a company that was rapidly going under, and Philly held his best job offer. So we moved right across the river to Pennsauken, real close to the lovely former war zone that is Camden. I hear Camden isn't as bad as it was anymore though.

07-02-2011, 06:05 AM
I know the area well as I went to law school in the Philly area and used to drive through Camden regularly. It's better then it used to be but that's relative. I've no idea how old you are or when you left but there are some improvements since I left that area in the mid 1990s. The waterfront where they built the aquarium is nice. They added a minor league baseball stadium and a small open air theater for concerts. They have also built condos. And, they tore down all the old strip clubs on Admiral Wilson Blvd which helped. I take my kids to the aquarium but as I live in PA now I don't come from that direction, but last time I was over the way (maybe 3 years ago) I noticed a dramatic decrease in the number of prostitutes on the side of the road.

I think the heart of the city is still pretty bad, though. They still have the same basic problems: lots of poorly educated young people with few job opportunities. That is not a demographic that generally leads to neighborhood prosperity.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost