Dumb words.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2011, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2011 11:17 AM by Stark Raving.)
Dumb words.
Ok, here's one for the Grammar Nazis. What are the most commonly mis-used words? Mis-pronounced? Have you heard someone bastardize a word? How about when someone thinks they are sounding smart, only to completely mis-use a word that really means something to make their comment funny?

I heard somone say "catastrophical" today.

And my pet peeve is when people say "irregardless".

For the record, if you catch me saying something that fits this thread, by all means call me out on it. I can totally laugh at myself!

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2011, 11:38 AM

RE: Dumb words.
"Should of..", "Would of", etc.. AAAAHHH It drives me nuts. Also misusing 'there', 'their' and 'they're'.

When it comes to verbal communication though, it shocks me how many adults keep saying 'like' and 'umm' in their sentences.
Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2011, 12:01 PM
How about "For all intensive purposes"? My wife hates that one. (And I cannot lie....I used to say it that way myself)

14-01-2011, 12:23 PM

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1943669

LOL
14-01-2011, 12:30 PM
(14-01-2011 11:10 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  irregardless

Urge to kill... rising...

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2011, 12:36 PM
To this day, I can never figure out whether I'm supposed to use effect or affect about half the time.
14-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I never seen a video gooder then that!

14-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Affect = verb.
Effect = noun.

"Your actions affect the outcome."
"Your actions had an effect."

14-01-2011, 12:59 PM
(14-01-2011 11:38 AM)mBear Wrote:  When it comes to verbal communication though, it shocks me how many adults keep saying 'like' and 'umm' in their sentences.

My friend was reading up on the psychology behind speech and those two popped up and had their own chapter (among other 'stalling' noises). Essentially they are brain farts, they basically arise when a person hasn't fully put together their train of thought and need a moment to string together their next thought. They are basically a by-product of not thinking before you speak and, if it happens often it is considered a speech impediment because you should be able to string together a coherent thought without pausing or making a noise.

And yes, any sort of noise or other word that is used in the same manner of "like" or "umm" are considered the same way, it's just the brain stalling or being incapable of putting together the whole thought first. Just thought I'd share that nugget with you. Tongue

14-01-2011, 01:07 PM

(14-01-2011 12:59 PM)Green Wrote:  
(14-01-2011 11:38 AM)mBear Wrote:  When it comes to verbal communication though, it shocks me how many adults keep saying 'like' and 'umm' in their sentences.

My friend was reading up on the psychology behind speech and those two popped up and had their own chapter (among other 'stalling' noises). Essentially they are brain farts, they basically arise when a person hasn't fully put together their train of thought and need a moment to string together their next thought. They are basically a by-product of not thinking before you speak and, if it happens often it is considered a speech impediment because you should be able to string together a coherent thought without pausing or making a noise.

And yes, any sort of noise or other word that is used in the same manner of "like" or "umm" are considered the same way, it's just the brain stalling or being incapable of putting together the whole thought first. Just thought I'd share that nugget with you. Tongue

I have a Chinese colleague whom I speak with often, and at one point she had to help interpret when I was doing some training with some Chinese government chemists. After listening to her for a couple days speak Chinese I noticed she would say something like Chigga chigga chigga when it seemed like she was searching for a word. I asked her if this was equivalent to our umm and like and she said it was. So the do it in Chinese also.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Words I want to remember GirlyMan 718 30,137 20-07-2014 03:14 PM
Last Post: evenheathen
  Dumb Starbucks Coffee Ferdinand 3 77 27-05-2014 09:46 PM
Last Post: Logisch
  Words I Want to Forget Anjele 12 176 23-05-2014 05:45 PM
Last Post: Chas
  Your Day In Three Words Sam 125 1,208 01-04-2014 05:31 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  when you need those words for a grieving friend Bows and Arrows 1 48 24-03-2014 12:44 PM
Last Post: Blackhand293
  Does anyone get pee'd off when talking to dumb people? TheLogicalAthiest 20 268 20-03-2014 10:37 AM
Last Post: TubbyTubby
  words Dom 2 96 29-01-2014 08:19 AM
Last Post: Chas