Dumbest justification for bigotry ever

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Dumbest justification for bigotry ever
Whenever i troll sites like Stormfront or some other white supremacist one common idiotic argument always comes up it tends to go something like

"of course we can generalize about people insurance companies do it all the time when it comes to insurance and no ones offended by that"

I think the flaw in this argument is quite clear teen driving has a vast data base to back it up .While most of there racist/antisemitic crap exists no where but in there heads. It also the fact that even then you can't just ignore exceptions.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post
09-10-2016, 02:09 PM
RE: Dumbest justification for bigotry ever
Iq levels vary from country to country, there is data out there that shows differences between people and cultures, so I think their insurance company analogy is valid.

Their justifications may not be valid though.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
09-10-2016, 02:57 PM
(09-10-2016 02:09 PM)bemore Wrote:  Iq levels vary from country to country, there is data out there that shows differences between people and cultures, so I think their insurance company analogy is valid.

Their justifications may not be valid though.

Never 100% sure on "IQ" levels varying between countries or cultures. Have not looked into it but is it actually possible to devise an IQ test that works exactly equally for every single human?

Attitudes seem to have a cultural bias, some cultures are stricter, more relaxed, more violent, more peaceful . . . than others and this can affect all aspects of that culture and how others see them.

Some drivers have more maturity (regardless of age it often seems), better response times, more experience etc, lumping them by one easily measured category is statistical laziness convenience. And about the only way to do it.

But some things are inherent and others acquired.

Saying any one racial type has a characteristic like intelligence, or lack thereof, in common is certainly a generalisation too far.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
09-10-2016, 06:19 PM
(09-10-2016 01:21 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  ...
"of course we can generalize about people insurance companies do it all the time when it comes to insurance and no ones offended by that"

I think the flaw in this argument ...

I think the flaw in this argument is their failure to punctuate correctly.

Unless they are from some Eastern European faction (or other non-English speaking region), they are demonstrating their lack of supremacy in the way they communicate (as per the statement you quoted, above).

Point that out and see if you are accused of generalising.

Big Grin

09-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Insurance companies do not generalize about people.
They base their gambles - risk of payout against revenue from premiums - on the statistical probability of any particular event taking place.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
09-10-2016, 07:35 PM
(09-10-2016 06:19 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 01:21 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  ...

I think the flaw in this argument ...

I think the flaw in this argument is their failure to punctuate correctly.

Unless they are from some Eastern European faction (or other non-English speaking region), they are demonstrating their lack of supremacy in the way they communicate (as per the statement you quoted, above).

Point that out and see if you are accused of generalising.

Big Grin

To be fair i'm not great in that department either. But yes for the supposed master race there use of language is horrifying.

[Image: giphy.gif]
10-10-2016, 08:29 AM
(09-10-2016 01:21 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  Whenever i troll sites like Stormfront or some other white supremacist one common idiotic argument always comes up it tends to go something like

I think the flaw in this argument is quite clear teen driving has a vast data base to back it up .While most of there racist/antisemitic crap exists no where but in there heads. It also the fact that even then you can't just ignore exceptions.

Racism is so irrational that no one should expect anything intelligent from them. The insurance company is generalizing from facts that are relevant such as incidence of accidents among different groups. This is entirely rational to do. Discrimination on the basis of skin color is not rational.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
10-10-2016, 08:59 AM
(09-10-2016 07:05 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Insurance companies do not generalize about people.
They base their gambles - risk of payout against revenue from premiums - on the statistical probability of any particular event taking place.

Would you not call actuarial analysis a kind of "generalisation"? I am in a class of all septuagenarians with a class x cardiac condition, y years of statistical life expectancy, £p income, single, no dependents or heirs, a sub £100k property . . .

I am one of a general set of probably tens of thousands of others. That is a generalisation, if limited, that may affect my ability to insure myself or my property or car.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
10-10-2016, 10:16 AM
(09-10-2016 07:35 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  To be fair I'm not great in that department either. But yes for the supposed master race there use of language is horrifying.

Irony much? Smartass

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
10-10-2016, 12:14 PM
While the use of some factors by insurance companies is a bit troubling, this is still qualitatively different.

The insurance companies are using past statistical data in a system that is constantly open to new information and revised formulae, and which is primarily used to predict future costs.

The racists are using anecdotal data and cherry-picked statistics in a system that ignores new information and refuses to revise its world view, less in an attempt to predict future outcomes and more an attempt to dictate or change them... and also to create a rhetorical justification for their present misdeeds.

The insurance company painstakingly checks and rechecks its models, and is painfully aware when the model is wrong, because when it's wrong it loses money. There is an innate, reality-based confirmation or denial of its "generalizations".

None of this applies to racism. If racists lost significant money every time their model was wrong, they'd either soon be in a box under a bridge or they'd stop being racists faster than you could say "enlightened self-interest".
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post