Dungeons and Dragons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2014, 09:08 AM
RE: Dungeons and Dragons
Crulax, I liked yours! Big Grin All the exclamation points made it so exciting! Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Do we have to talk about ourselves in the third person? Or is that optional?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
19-03-2014, 09:14 AM
(19-03-2014 09:12 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Do we have to talk about ourselves in the third person? Or is that optional?

You can do it however you'd like, from what Revs told me. Big Grin

19-03-2014, 09:20 AM
(19-03-2014 09:12 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Do we have to talk about ourselves in the third person? Or is that optional?

You can speak in first or third person. Which ever feels better to you.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-03-2014, 10:12 PM
The thing with post by post is that it's ever so slow. Which is fine, most of the time, but gets a little silly if the characters are all sitting around a table... I'm assuming, though, that given the disparate schedules and time zones there's not much chance wrangle an actual chat session for key moments. Is that worth considering?

But so far as what to write goes - it's improv. The cardinal rule is no blocking. That's about it. I posted down the line so I was sticking with what you lot had thrown down already, stylistically speaking...

We're working with asynchronous text here, so something a little more literary serves a few useful purposes. I mean, right away we've got to establish character - and we don't have the table chatter for that. And if you are sitting face to face it tends to work out that the simplest way to convey information is (if you're speaking in character) just to vocalise pretty much everything. Instead we're typing; far better flow to just bang out some prose instead, to show what your character is thinking or feeling. But of course, how much of a character's thoughts you actually want to reveal is another thing, but it's also bad form to lie too much about that kind of thing.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
19-03-2014, 10:14 PM
(19-03-2014 10:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  The thing with post by post is that it's ever so slow. Which is fine, most of the time, but gets a little silly if the characters are all sitting around a table... I'm assuming, though, that given the disparate schedules and time zones there's not much chance wrangle an actual chat session for key moments. Is that worth considering?

But so far as what to write goes - it's improv. The cardinal rule is no blocking. That's about it. I posted down the line so I was sticking with what you lot had thrown down already, stylistically speaking...

We're working with asynchronous text here, so something a little more literary serves a few useful purposes. I mean, right away we've got to establish character - and we don't have the table chatter for that. And if you are sitting face to face it tends to work out that the simplest way to convey information is (if you're speaking in character) just to vocalise pretty much everything. Instead we're typing; far better flow to just bang out some prose instead, to show what your character is thinking or feeling. But of course, how much of a character's thoughts you actually want to reveal is another thing, but it's also bad form to lie too much about that kind of thing.

I agree.
We all need to become stephen hawking then.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
19-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Oh god!
I noticed I'm horrible at writing! (Well, I'm pretty good. I just have to get "in the zone.")
I looked at other people's writings and became ashamed. Sad

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
20-03-2014, 02:04 AM
(19-03-2014 10:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  The thing with post by post is that it's ever so slow. Which is fine, most of the time, but gets a little silly if the characters are all sitting around a table... I'm assuming, though, that given the disparate schedules and time zones there's not much chance wrangle an actual chat session for key moments. Is that worth considering?

Agreed, for the most part this is not going to be the norm with this game but we do need to establish our characters. Once the intro posts are Done, still need L&I and Cardinal Smurf to say a quick hello, we can get on with the story.

(19-03-2014 10:16 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Oh god!
I noticed I'm horrible at writing! (Well, I'm pretty good. I just have to get "in the zone.")
I looked at other people's writings and became ashamed. Sad

The thing about creative writing is you get better the more you do it. You do need to slow down a bit and wait to be told the result of your actions. But other than that you should get the hang of it. Thumbsup

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-03-2014, 02:13 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2014 02:23 AM by Losty.)
I will introduce myself tomorrow I promise. I'm talking to crulax now Big Grin

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
20-03-2014, 02:24 AM
Well technically later today haha

[+] 2 users Like Losty's post