Dungeons and Dragons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2014, 07:09 PM
RE: Dungeons and Dragons
(30-03-2014 07:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 07:02 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Alex's post.

Oh. Yeah.
That's what happens when you try to understand the quantum state of having two opposites effect one thing simultaneously.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
30-03-2014, 07:17 PM
(30-03-2014 07:09 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 07:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Oh. Yeah.
That's what happens when you try to understand the quantum state of having two opposites effect one thing simultaneously.

Ah ok. Now I get it...

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
30-03-2014, 07:27 PM
(30-03-2014 07:07 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Also, is there any way you can help me understand my character chart. It doesn't really seem like I'm playing when I have to rely on either Crulax or you to tell me what to do every time.
I have magic missile which apparently is not a super strong spell but it never missed it's target, or that's the understanding that I got from it.
I also have a staff which I know nothing about besides that I can attack with it.
Do I have anything else that is useful right now?
I'm trying to be super careful because I don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to accidentally kill anyone, but I would like to break out a little but if I can feel somewhat confident about what I am able to do and what each thing I can do actually is. (If that makes sense)

First off you have been doing great. Secondly both of your combat spells have 0 chance of hitting anything that you don't target. Unlike burning hands Freezing Touch is a touch spell meaning you have to lay your hand on your target. Your quarterstaff is kind of a fantasy trope as all spellcasters carry a staff.

[Image: gandalfgrey5.jpg]

The staff does ok damage (1-6 on a hit) but requires you to be in melee to use it (within 2 feet of your target) so it is less safe to use than a spell you can cast from 60 yards away. Magic Missile will always hit it's target (some enemies have spell resistance so they may take less or no damage but it will only ever hit what you aim at) and does between 2-5 damage (1d4+1) If you want I can change your spell lay out to just be 2x Magic Missile (to make it a bit easier on you). If you have any other questions maybe I can do a skype call or something and try and explain it further. Thank you again for playing I know how intimidating this game can be at first.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
30-03-2014, 07:29 PM
(30-03-2014 07:07 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Also, is there any way you can help me understand my character chart. It doesn't really seem like I'm playing when I have to rely on either Crulax or you to tell me what to do every time.
I have magic missile which apparently is not a super strong spell but it never missed it's target, or that's the understanding that I got from it.
I also have a staff which I know nothing about besides that I can attack with it.
I'm trying to be super careful because I don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to accidentally kill anyone, but I would like to break out a little but if I can feel somewhat confident about what I am able to do and what each thing I can do actually is. (If that makes sense)

All mages don't have much they can do starting off, but you'll get more spells as you progress in level, and the ones you've already got get better, too. I can't remember at what levels it ups, but at some point whenever you cast magic missile, 2 3 4 missiles shoot out instead of just one. Cast whatever spells you got, and then use that staff if you think you can sneak in a blow on a target that's more concerned with a stronger foe.

Groh'L will protect you Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
31-03-2014, 01:18 AM
(30-03-2014 07:29 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  

All mages don't have much they can do starting off, but you'll get more spells as you progress in level, and the ones you've already got get better, too. I can't remember at what levels it ups, but at some point whenever you cast magic missile, 2 3 4 missiles shoot out instead of just one. Cast whatever spells you got, and then use that staff if you think you can sneak in a blow on a target that's more concerned with a stronger foe.

This.

I never did a mage for that reason. Too many cool spells, but you get them only after some dozens of sessions Rolleyes

However I once had a druid and the battles were quite boring in the beginning (however my pet leopard kicked some serious ass). But the great thing about Dungeons and Dragons is strategy and how you work together with the others. My lightning spells were not amazing, but when a mage threw water (one more silly spell) on the target (who was definitely killing all of us) and then I hit him with lightning, the result was amazing Smile

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
31-03-2014, 01:33 AM
(31-03-2014 01:18 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 07:29 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  All mages don't have much they can do starting off, but you'll get more spells as you progress in level, and the ones you've already got get better, too. I can't remember at what levels it ups, but at some point whenever you cast magic missile, 2 3 4 missiles shoot out instead of just one. Cast whatever spells you got, and then use that staff if you think you can sneak in a blow on a target that's more concerned with a stronger foe.

This.

I never did a mage for that reason. Too many cool spells, but you get them only after some dozens of sessions Rolleyes

However I once had a druid and the battles were quite boring in the beginning (however my pet leopard kicked some serious ass). But the great thing about Dungeons and Dragons is strategy and how you work together with the others. My lightning spells were not amazing, but when a mage threw water (one more silly spell) on the target (who was definitely killing all of us) and then I hit him with lightning, the result was amazing Smile
I'm okay with having only "boring" spells for now haha. I am mostly just super excited to be starting to get to a point where I have an idea as to wtf is going on. At the beginning everyone was playing D&D and I was just standing there with a stupid look on my face waiting for Crulax to say do this or that lol. I think I'm going to like this game a lot once I really figure it out!

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
31-03-2014, 02:18 AM
(31-03-2014 01:18 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 07:29 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  All mages don't have much they can do starting off, but you'll get more spells as you progress in level, and the ones you've already got get better, too. I can't remember at what levels it ups, but at some point whenever you cast magic missile, 2 3 4 missiles shoot out instead of just one. Cast whatever spells you got, and then use that staff if you think you can sneak in a blow on a target that's more concerned with a stronger foe.

This.

Yeah mage's are a slow build but after about lvl 5 or so they can lay down the hurt. I am actually making it a lot more playable than it could be for a lvl 1 2nd ed mage. She gets to cast 2 spells per combat instead of 1 spell per day.

(31-03-2014 01:33 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 01:18 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  This.

I'm okay with having only "boring" spells for now haha. I am mostly just super excited to be starting to get to a point where I have an idea as to wtf is going on. At the beginning everyone was playing D&D and I was just standing there with a stupid look on my face waiting for Crulax to say do this or that lol. I think I'm going to like this game a lot once I really figure it out!

Well asking questions and getting advice in the beginning is good. We have a nice mix here of first timers and veteran players and even the players familiar with D&D are learning how Play by Post works. As you get more experience with it what you should be doing will become easier, as I said I am flipping your spell layout to just be Magic Missiles X2 so that should be your attack every combat for the first 2 rounds then it is gonna be twack it with your stick Laugh out load It is the Out of combat spells I am allowing you (all of them) where you can play around a bit. Anytime other than in a battle you can cast any magic you want (there are time limitations to some of them). Here is a good list of spells, you have access to all the lvl 1 and lvl 0 spells.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Sorcere...Spell_List

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
31-03-2014, 02:51 AM
BTW there are 3 of you who can Identify magical items. The group just got a magic ring. Anyone want to check and see what the thing does?

31-03-2014, 03:10 AM
(31-03-2014 02:51 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  BTW there are 3 of you who can Identify magical items. The group just got a magic ring. Anyone want to check and see what the thing does?

As in, like, this?
IdentifyM: Determines properties of magic item.

[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
31-03-2014, 03:32 AM
I've only ever played D&D once before and that was over 20 years ago. I played an Elf. It gave me combat and a bit of magic.

I will have intermittent internet access over the next week but I will hopefully be able to check up on stuff.

If I miss any combat then I will just keep my distance and use my sling. I am a halfling after all.