Dungeons and Dragons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2014, 03:23 AM
RE: Dungeons and Dragons
Metazoa, Dungeons & Dragons was released in 1974 before home computers even existed. Also incidentally the year I was born! The format has led to a whole load of different games by many different companies.

It's also far more fun than any computer game because it's a very sociable affair. I've had an extreme amount of fun playing these games before and have very fond memories of them.

People sit around a table with their character sheets and the games master (or dungeon master in D&D) describes an interactive story line to the player characters. The players have character sheets which have their character statistics such as stamina, strength, dexterity etc. When they perform an action the dungeon master looks up the rules from the rule book, rolls one of the many different types of dice and sees whether the action succeeded or not.

So for example:

DM: Suddenly the goblin charges!
Me: I also charge at the goblin and try to push him back.
DM: What's your strength?
Me: 2
DM: Roll a dice.
Me: <rolls a dice> I got a 1.
DM: You find yourself flat on your back with a mad goblin on top of you.

This is a famous spoof that was created years ago and is on youtube. It's very funny if you've ever played a role playing game before.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
12-07-2014, 06:00 PM
I don't know why, but this Hafling attacking us is causing a flash back from I.J: Temple Of Doom Laugh out load I kinda want to stick a torch in his face to see if the fire will wake him up out of the curse Tongue

13-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Attention Players!

TheGulegon does not hate you! Hug
Tanis The Keen, Half-Drow Psionicist, is a compLETE ASShole, however Confused

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
16-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Where is Guley? Sadcryface

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
18-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Posting from another's phone! ISP problems! Be back when fixed!

19-07-2014, 03:00 PM
With Guley having net problems I am ok with letting the game either pause for a bit or continue on and just add him back when he returns. I leave the option to the players.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Does anyone have a problem writing an application to automate dungeons and dragons?
Like an AI dungeon master?

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
19-07-2014, 03:06 PM
(19-07-2014 03:02 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Does anyone have a problem writing an application to automate dungeons and dragons?

Bioware had a good one in Baldur's Gate. Most video games are set up with an AI DM.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-07-2014, 03:11 PM
(19-07-2014 03:06 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-07-2014 03:02 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Does anyone have a problem writing an application to automate dungeons and dragons?

Bioware had a good one in Baldur's Gate. Most video games are set up with an AI DM.

Well, I meant specifically for the "real life game."
Cmon, It could be like and app on the iphone or on the windows/google store or whatever
Then you could add special items to your index with the ability to edit the price and effects/damage of items. You could select how many players, and the AI randomly generates scenarios.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
19-07-2014, 03:23 PM
(19-07-2014 03:11 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(19-07-2014 03:06 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Bioware had a good one in Baldur's Gate. Most video games are set up with an AI DM.

Well, I meant specifically for the "real life game."
Cmon, It could be like and app on the iphone or on the windows/google store or whatever
Then you could add special items to your index with the ability to edit the price and effects/damage of items. You could select how many players, and the AI randomly generates scenarios.

There was something like this back in the day. It was FMV board games. Here is one of the better ones.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/game-reviews...re-review/