Dungeons and Dragons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2012, 01:30 AM
RE: Dungeons and Dragons
Zeldamaster, please take all the books and read them BEFORE you start to play. You have around 10 GB of PDF's to read, so get going.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Has anyone ever roleplayed a religious zealot Paladin/Cleric in D&D or Pathfinder?

Just started one up in a friend's Pathfinder campaign. So far it has been HIGHLY entertaining for everyone, knowing full well what I am. Smile
06-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Pffff, what a stupid question, what do you think? Big Grin

It is my favourite class to play, concerning role-playing a character. BUT!! I have to tell you right away that you are not a real cleric, I am 100% sure that you did not see one particular feat, that gives you nothing special, but you just can not play a cleric without it. It is called TRUE BELIEVER. I do not recognize any cleric if they are not True Believers.

Big Grin

Unfortunately for you, that feat can be taken only on first level, when making your character. So, you are playing a cleric that is not a true believer? Bah, puny cleric.

Tongue

P.S.

Isn't it the most fun thing ever to be an atheist and play some fundamentalist with real magic powers, provided by his god? Holly symbol for turning undead? Just epic...

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/True_Believ...nD_Feat%29
It is an official feat, but I don't know in which book, it is not in Players Handbook, maybe in PH2...

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
06-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Well, Gods I can accept in D&D because there is actual evidence to support their existence such as Lloth walking Faerun during the time of troubles. lol

True Believer, huh? Sounds like the old "True Faith" perk that you could get in Vampire: The Masquerade. That perk was ridiculous!

I don't think True Believer exists in Pathfinder but I'll have to do additional research - I'm sure it's compatible. This is an interesting character to roleplay, the guy started out as a level 30 Chaotic Evil Blackguard and commander of this dark lord's armies before he heard a divine voice and grew a conscience, turned on his own men to save some innocents, and killed a bunch of his own people while covering the escape for some innocents. Then he submitted and spent the next 30 years of his life being tortured and starved in a forced labor camp before escaping as a level 1 Paladin. Smile
07-07-2012, 04:32 AM
I hate Pathfinder, but you can use most, if not all the feats from normal D&D. Why would you use Pathfinder and then have only one book of rules, when you can use regular, balanced 3.5e and have a few dozens of different books, rules, feats, skills, characters, spells...? I never understood why people use Pathfinder, you only limit yourself and have problems when you want to use something that is not in Pathfinder, plus it is just overpowering your character. I tried and I do not like it.

-Hunter S. Thompson
09-07-2012, 09:24 AM
(07-07-2012 04:32 AM)Filox Wrote:  I hate Pathfinder, but you can use most, if not all the feats from normal D&D. Why would you use Pathfinder and then have only one book of rules, when you can use regular, balanced 3.5e and have a few dozens of different books, rules, feats, skills, characters, spells...? I never understood why people use Pathfinder, you only limit yourself and have problems when you want to use something that is not in Pathfinder, plus it is just overpowering your character. I tried and I do not like it.

It's my first time playing Pathfinder, seems like it's mostly 3.5e. What rules do you usually play?

I did most of my D&D in 1e and 2e - missed the 3e years for the most part - then I ran a 4e campaign. I kind of enjoy the Action Points and Healing Surges in 4e. It allowed me to construct some pretty tough encounters.
09-07-2012, 01:08 PM
I started with AD&D 2nd edition, then quickly moved to 3rd, 3.5e as soon as it was out and I've stopped there. Tried Pathfinder, didn't like it. The problem is that I read and have all the 3.5 books, and Pathfinder is only one, or a few books, so I had problems adjusting all those feats, prestige classes, equipment and everything else. Also, you now have to re-read all the spells, feats, everything, because it is all just a little bit different, but you still need to learn new tricks. And it's hard for an old dog to learn new tricks. Smile

Anyway, 3.5 is more balanced, more developed, you have much more material to use, while Pathfinder looks a bit overpowered, the character get some extra points and that just makes me feel ... too much? Yeah, I like it when it is nice and balanced. And you simply can not do a better job than the people who were doing it for decades, who made the whole thing.

-Hunter S. Thompson
09-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Does 3.5 have challenge ratings for monsters in the Monster Manuals?

One thing that really appeals to me about Pathfinder is that all of the books consolidated together and are available in apps in the iPhone and Android app stores. The apps have search functions that allow you to quickly find any rules or charts that you need to find, so that's nice. Wizards of the Coast would never allow something like that - then they wouldn't be able to gouge players for new sets of hardcover books. Smile
09-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Hahahaha, that is why Wizards of the Coast have all the books in PDF (not legally) and we have downloaded all of them. As for the hard-cover, nothing can beat that, every important book is bought and kept safe.

Yes 3.5 has challenge ratings for monsters in MM.

And Pathfinder did have it all worked out nicely in the books, but that is little comfort when you compare it with all the negative things I just wrote in the last post. Not everybody will think like I do about it, but ...

-Hunter S. Thompson
10-07-2012, 04:09 AM
True Believer is in Complete Divine. Just FYI.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Science Believer's post