Dungeons and Dragons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2012, 09:28 PM
RE: Dungeons and Dragons
I know it’s probably a little late to suggest it but a couple of guys over at Kick-starter have just released the online beta to their system agnostic online table system called Roll20:

http://roll20.net/

I have had the joy of hosting a 4E game with it (don’t judge me, it was the others first time) and it’s a very powerful little tool once you learn how to use it. Built in voice and video chat, complete information and roll retention so you can review games, and a vast array of public domain resources such as tokens, terrain and objects.

Plus, it’s free. Beats the shit out of the one Wizards try to make you pay for.

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2012, 05:24 PM
I had been considering trying to run a Basic D&D game online, then I got madly into science and stuff (and the collapse of my face-to-face group before it even got started kinda put me off the idea) so I set it aside. My regular group plays 2nd edition Skills and Powers and has been doing so for ... longer than I care to remember. Smile So I get my fix from there, mostly.

I'm not a fan of the new WOTC systems with the feats and the 5' steps and the whatnot. Not that 2e S&P doesn't come with its share of 'WTH is this rule srsly?' and a billion splatbooks and stuff. If I ever do go back to the plan of running a game online via G+ I'll probably draw on some super rules-light system. I ran Palladium's After the Bomb last month and remembered why I stopped playing it. o.o

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
26-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I had the chance to playtest the new D&D Next (what they're calling 5th edition). It's still being developed so it's by no means complete. They only have 4 races and 6 classes out at the moment, and they're only mapped out until level 5. At first glance, it appears that they merged 4th ed and 3.5, and tried to get the best of both. They also added in an interesting feature, Backgrounds, which determine what feats you get and give your character a little more colour.
Another thing is the power level. What struck me most was that the first level fifth edition char I created for this game could kick the ass of my sixth level 3.5er companion. They also simplified things a lot. There are no saves, but you just apply your attribute modifiers.

All in all, worlds better than 4th ed, not quite up to the older editions yet. But it's still in beta, so it remains to be seen if it surpasses its predecessors.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
26-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Dungeons and Dragons
Be still my beating heart. Heart

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
26-08-2012, 12:10 PM
(26-08-2012 09:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Be still my beating heart. Heart

But you can't live without hearts! Sadcryface2

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
26-08-2012, 12:13 PM
(26-08-2012 12:10 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  
(26-08-2012 09:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Be still my beating heart. Heart

But you can't live without hearts! Sadcryface2

[Image: podcast_papvp2_7.jpg]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
27-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Well, this sounds promising. But I hardly doubt I will ever start playing anything else other than 3.5e. We just invented too much in books and everything to now use something new. And I do not like simplifying.

As for the background feature, you had Regional or Historical feats in 3.5e. That is pretty similar.

Having no saves is like CMD and CMB in Pathfinder, no roll and only your attributes apply. While I was undefeated with my monk abilities, it is utter crap to play like that. When you roll a dice, you give chance to ... well ... chance to happen. You could have a million points in saves and always roll a 1, this miserably failing. Even the best of the best can trip over something they did not see and loose. If you only use attributes and have a class like monk that has extra boosted abilities, you can never fail in some things.

The best way is my roll+my attributes vs. your roll+your attributes. Without rolling, you loose the luck chance. I love my luck, it serves me good. Talk about belief...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
27-08-2012, 04:37 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 04:58 AM by Smooshmonster.)
Just to clarify, you do roll your saves, but there is no save apply to the roll, you just apply your attribute modifier. So there is an element of randomness, which I agree needs to be there in any RPG. Otherwise, how shall we curse the dice lords and who shall we sacrifice profiteroles to?

We play a 3.5 campaign as well and I'm perfectly happy sticking to that. Unless D&D5 bring out something new and shiny at this point, there's no point upgrading.

[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
27-08-2012, 05:21 AM
It is so damn hard to find any female players for D&D... I only managed to find 2 in my life. In my real life.

Good to hear there are more of you.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post