Dunkirk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Dunkirk
I just saw the movie Dunkirk, which I thought was really good. But I was thinking about the people on TTA from the UK and wondered if any of you Brits had relatives who participated in the rescue or the battle? Any stories you could share?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-07-2017, 01:33 PM
RE: Dunkirk
(26-07-2017 07:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I just saw the movie Dunkirk, which I thought was really good. But I was thinking about the people on TTA from the UK and wondered if any of you Brits had relatives who participated in the rescue or the battle? Any stories you could share?

I wasn't there, of course (I'm not a Brit, and I wasn't born yet), and neither was the young Denise Levertov, but she was close enough to hear the guns, and wrote a poem about it:

"I began writing at five years old, but have lost the poems that precede my first published poem, "Listening to Distant Guns," written during or just before Dunkirk. In Buckinghamshire, where I was "evacuated," one could hear the big guns across the Channel even though Bucks is an inland county."

Listening to Distant Guns

The roses tremble; oh, the sunflower's eye
Is opened wide in sad expectancy.
Westward and back the circling swallows fly,
The rooks' battalions dwindle near the hill.

That low pulsation in the east is war:
No bell now breaks the evening's silent dream.
The bloodless clarity of evening's sky
Betrays no whisper of the battle-scream.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
29-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Bring ear plugs to the movie. Dodgy

.... No, seriously. Bring ear plugs.
29-07-2017, 03:46 PM
(29-07-2017 02:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Bring ear plugs to the movie. Dodgy

.... No, seriously. Bring ear plugs.

Won't help, the bass boosters are set at 11.

This movie "samples" the experiences at Dunkirk, giving us a small taste of thing on the beach, in the air, and on the water. Very well done. They couldn't tell 400,000 stories, so they told a few very well, IMNSHO.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2017, 03:56 PM
I didn't find it exceptionally loud but maybe the theatre I went to had some control over the sound. I liked the sounds of the metal airplanes and the clunking of the men walking around metal ships. I've been in museums of old W W II ariplanes and old navy ships and they are so.....metally sounding. Older movies set in W W II omit this sound by the Foley artists, I guess because they thought it was too distracting.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-07-2017, 04:11 PM
(29-07-2017 03:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I didn't find it exceptionally loud but maybe the theatre I went to had some control over the sound. I liked the sounds of the metal airplanes and the clunking of the men walking around metal ships. I've been in museums of old W W II ariplanes and old navy ships and they are so.....metally sounding. Older movies set in W W II omit this sound by the Foley artists, I guess because they thought it was too distracting.

I have a little fluid stuck in my ear and the sounds were literally painful to experience. I had to hold my hand over my ear to dampen the effects.

I saw the movie yestetday and my ear still hurts from it.
29-07-2017, 06:16 PM
(26-07-2017 07:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I just saw the movie Dunkirk, which I thought was really good. But I was thinking about the people on TTA from the UK and wondered if any of you Brits had relatives who participated in the rescue or the battle? Any stories you could share?
I nursed several veterans including an officer who lost his leg at Dunkirk all said it was a terrifying experience but they didn't want to go into details too much, something very common in veterans of that era I think.
[+] 4 users Like adey67's post
29-07-2017, 08:53 PM
(29-07-2017 04:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 03:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I didn't find it exceptionally loud but maybe the theatre I went to had some control over the sound. I liked the sounds of the metal airplanes and the clunking of the men walking around metal ships. I've been in museums of old W W II ariplanes and old navy ships and they are so.....metally sounding. Older movies set in W W II omit this sound by the Foley artists, I guess because they thought it was too distracting.

I have a little fluid stuck in my ear and the sounds were literally painful to experience. I had to hold my hand over my ear to dampen the effects.

I saw the movie yestetday and my ear still hurts from it.
It reminded me of "Earthquake", the one with Charlton Heston. They had stacks of bass boomers spaced around the theater to rattle the viewers.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
30-07-2017, 05:27 AM
My grandfather, who was Welsh, survived Dunkirk. My grandmother told us that he came home a changed man. He refused to talk about his experience. Nearly every night he would wake up screaming his head off and would sit up crying his eyes out but refused to talk about it. He was given two weeks leave so they left their London home and stayed with my grandmothers family here in Ireland. He was so distraught that he considered going AWOL but in the end went back a few days late. He lost a stripe for coming back late. He was killed in action in Tunisia, April 1943 age 26.

I'm going to take my mother who is 75 to see the movie. She's curious and wants get an idea of what her father went through.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 4 users Like Marozz's post
30-07-2017, 06:13 AM
(30-07-2017 05:27 AM)Marozz Wrote:  My grandfather, who was Welsh, survived Dunkirk. My grandmother told us that he came home a changed man. He refused to talk about his experience. Nearly every night he would wake up screaming his head off and would sit up crying his eyes out but refused to talk about it. He was given two weeks leave so they left their London home and stayed with my grandmothers family here in Ireland. He was so distraught that he considered going AWOL but in the end went back a few days late. He lost a stripe for coming back late. He was killed in action in Tunisia, April 1943 age 26.

I'm going to take my mother who is 75 to see the movie. She's curious and wants get an idea of what her father went through.

It will be confusing for her, the timeline follows several men, covering their involvement so that the beginning and end of each comes at the same time in the movie. For the men on the beach that time is days, for the boats hours, and for the planes, minutes. The three threads come together at the end.
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post