Dunkirk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2017, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2017 07:04 AM by BackSlider.)
RE: Dunkirk
(29-07-2017 02:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Bring ear plugs to the movie. Dodgy

.... No, seriously. Bring ear plugs.

Thanks for the tip.
If I'm going to lose my hearing let it be on joyful noise / noises (like 12 cylinder Merlin's flying by or the Bee Gees rocking it out.)

https://youtu.be/Y5rGyP6SSYM

You have to be odd to be #1.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post
30-07-2017, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2017 07:15 AM by BackSlider.)
duplicate by accident - not on purpose! Yes

Ok, play this loud...
https://youtu.be/0iFBXjRbVl0

You have to be odd to be #1.
30-07-2017, 09:13 AM
There is nothing that sounds more amazing than a Merlin engine, when I hear one I get goosebumps tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat everytime.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
30-07-2017, 10:35 AM
(30-07-2017 05:27 AM)Marozz Wrote:  My grandfather, who was Welsh, survived Dunkirk. My grandmother told us that he came home a changed man. He refused to talk about his experience. Nearly every night he would wake up screaming his head off and would sit up crying his eyes out but refused to talk about it. He was given two weeks leave so they left their London home and stayed with my grandmothers family here in Ireland. He was so distraught that he considered going AWOL but in the end went back a few days late. He lost a stripe for coming back late. He was killed in action in Tunisia, April 1943 age 26.

I'm going to take my mother who is 75 to see the movie. She's curious and wants get an idea of what her father went through.

Wow. So many men died in that war. I'm sorry. Dunkirk and WW II vets in general didn't discuss their feelings much. Men were raised differently then.

My dad was in WW II towards the end of the war. He broke his back and had to be discharged. One hip was always 2 or 3 inches higher than the other and as he got much older it was almost crippling for him. He spent time helping the underground just prior to the war and got cought up in the London Blitz for a time before he came back to the US. Interesting life.

I found the movie riveting. I hope your mom, or as you guys cutely say, your mum, likes the movie. It's not a popcorn kind of movie.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
30-07-2017, 10:47 AM
One of my grandfathers was in WW1 he was the same, my other grandfather was with British forces liberating Bergen Belsen he forced himself to talk because he said people must know.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
30-07-2017, 11:27 AM
(30-07-2017 09:13 AM)adey67 Wrote:  There is nothing that sounds more amazing than a Merlin engine, when I hear one I get goosebumps tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat everytime.

[Image: th_DSCN0279.mp4] Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
30-07-2017, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2017 03:17 PM by adey67.)
(30-07-2017 11:27 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(30-07-2017 09:13 AM)adey67 Wrote:  There is nothing that sounds more amazing than a Merlin engine, when I hear one I get goosebumps tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat everytime.

[Image: th_DSCN0279.mp4] Big Grin

????? Stinky Spanish built Daimler Benz????? Hard to hear or tell on my crappy mobile. Ya should have kept bombing those airfields Deesse, we were on our knees Laugh out load Tongue
30-07-2017, 11:53 PM
(30-07-2017 02:59 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(30-07-2017 11:27 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  [Image: th_DSCN0279.mp4] Big Grin

????? Stinky Spanish built Daimler Benz????? Hard to hear or tell on my crappy mobile. Ya should have kept bombing those airfields Deesse, we were on our knees Laugh out load Tongue

Only the airframe is spanish, Señor. Get a better mobile btw. Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse