Dutch fashion police.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2018, 08:42 AM
Dutch fashion police.
Rotterdam police plan to begin a pilot program targeting a people who cops feel are wearing too expensive clothes.

Allegedly program is meant to help fighting with crime but there are voices about possible racial screening, which to me seems far more likely. Apparently people suspected of looking to poor for jackboots to believe that they can afford whatever clothes they wear will be undressed on the street [“We’re going to undress them in the street,” Rotterdam police chief Frank Paauw told De Telegraaf, a daily Dutch newspaper.]

Back in '20 fascism was scary. Now it's just laughable it seems.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2018, 09:12 AM
RE: Dutch fashion police.
I'd have thought the Dutch would be smarter then this.

It's as bad as the age old problem in north America of "driving while black", cause somehow African Americans couldn't possibly have enough money to own a car. Facepalm

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
27-01-2018, 09:19 AM
(27-01-2018 09:12 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I'd have thought the Dutch would be smarter then this.

I thought them pretty liberal given their drug policy. Seems I was mistaken.

Quote:It's as bad as the age old problem in north America of "driving while black", cause somehow African Americans couldn't possibly have enough money to own a car. Facepalm

It's just fascism I would say. They can spew bullshit about it being about fighting crime till they will be red, but for me it look as some strange mix of racism, clasism and populism.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
27-01-2018, 09:47 AM
It sounds totally ridiculous to me. Who thinks shit like that up? Facepalm

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
27-01-2018, 09:47 AM
(27-01-2018 08:42 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Rotterdam police plan to begin a pilot program targeting a people who cops feel are wearing too expensive clothes.

Allegedly program is meant to help fighting with crime but there are voices about possible racial screening, which to me seems far more likely. Apparently people suspected of looking to poor for jackboots to believe that they can afford whatever clothes they wear will be undressed on the street [“We’re going to undress them in the street,” Rotterdam police chief Frank Paauw told De Telegraaf, a daily Dutch newspaper.]

Twentith century fascism?! Hell, limiting the garments people could wear goes back to Ancient Greek and Egpyt. It was meant to seperate royality from all the other yokels. Sumptuary Laws limited the colors people could wear too. The color purple was only worn by royality. This was because the color blue and purple could only be extracted from a small sea mollusk in a long smelly process. The city of Tyre was the center of this dying process over two thousand years ago.

Anyway, these laws were meant to seperate the classes. Looks like the Dutch are trying to make everyone homogeneous but that won't work either because people generally like to be individualistic and express themselves with clothes.

[Image: The+Sumptuary+Laws+-!.jpg]

[Image: 13-f2014-elizabethan-settlement-more-16-...1417714957]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-01-2018, 09:59 AM
(27-01-2018 09:47 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(27-01-2018 08:42 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Rotterdam police plan to begin a pilot program targeting a people who cops feel are wearing too expensive clothes.

Twentith century fascism?! Hell, limiting the garments people could wear goes back to Ancient Greek and Egpyt. It was meant to seperate royality from all the other yokels. Sumptuary Laws limited the colors people could wear too. The color purple was only worn by royality. This was because the color blue and purple could only be extracted from a small sea mollusk in a long smelly process. The city of Tyre was the center of this dying process over two thousand years ago.

Anyway, these laws were meant to seperate the classes. Looks like the Dutch are trying to make everyone homogeneous but that won't work either because people generally like to be individualistic and express themselves with clothes.

[Image: The+Sumptuary+Laws+-!.jpg]

[Image: 13-f2014-elizabethan-settlement-more-16-...1417714957]

From what I read it is more about "cracking down on crime" than trying to enforce conformity. It looks like thinly disguises racist action - "brown" people in clothes that jackboots will consider too good for them will be stripped if Rotterdam police chief didn't make some bad joke.

Sure, there is some hubbub about program being meant to targeting people on social support wearing luxury clothes which supposedly is indication of something being fishy but I don't buy that crap. What will be definition of luxury item? What about gifts? Re sales? Or most importantly wearing expensive clothes not being fucking crime?

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-01-2018, 10:06 AM
(27-01-2018 09:47 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
because people generally like to be individualistic and express themselves with clothes.

Oh, I so disagree with that.

For every one (rare) Beau Brummell there are (and always have been) thousands of followers (not leaders) of fashion.

Football fans, nuns, mods and rockers, all those reverse-baseball-cap wearers, goths etc.

In fact, how is it we can look at a photo and say "That's from the 20s (or 40s or 50s or 70s...)" if fashion was individualistic?

Consider

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
27-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Here's what's gonna happen. They're gonna undress some totally random person, who happens to have jack diddly shit on him that is stolen. This person will sue the government and win. The police will have a massive scandal and the law will never be mentioned again out of fear of futher unrest. The government should fear the people, atleast in theory.

[Image: x6DEbV5.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
27-01-2018, 11:04 AM
(27-01-2018 10:43 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Here's what's gonna happen. They're gonna undress some totally random person, who happens to have jack diddly shit on him that is stolen. This person will sue the government and win. The police will have a massive scandal and the law will never be mentioned again out of fear of futher unrest. The government should fear the people, atleast in theory.

That person will be wearing no underwear either. Better case against the police - stripped naked on the street.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-01-2018, 11:57 AM
(27-01-2018 11:04 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(27-01-2018 10:43 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Here's what's gonna happen. They're gonna undress some totally random person, who happens to have jack diddly shit on him that is stolen. This person will sue the government and win. The police will have a massive scandal and the law will never be mentioned again out of fear of futher unrest. The government should fear the people, atleast in theory.

That person will be wearing no underwear either. Better case against the police - stripped naked on the street.

[Image: x6DEbV5.gif]
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post