Poll: Should this be a community or succession fort?
Community - it looks too hardcore for me to play, but I'd like to be involved!
Succession - I've got a big enough beard to wanna give this a shot.
[Show Results]

Dwarf Fortress Community Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Dwarf Fortress Community Thread
[Image: DwarfFortress.jpg]

Dwarf Fortress

It's Minecraft's bigger, angrier, beardier cousin. It's the most hardcore game ever made. It's so hardcore that its motto is that Losing = Fun. It's entirely free to play.

And it's ridiculously fun.

So here you go. It's time to strike the earth - but I want you guys to decide how this goes.

I can do one of two things here: run a community fortress, wherein I play the game but you guys give input, or start off a succession game, wherein we each play one year of game time before handing the save off to the next person*. For those new to the game, check out the following links. They're quite helpful. And don't be afraid to ask about stuff!

*: Being good at the game isn't necessary, and is actually discouraged.

The Saga of Boatmurdered - A Sampling of the Crazy
Dwarf Fortress Is Hardcore - An Illustrated Guide
Dwarf Fortress - /tg/'s Guide to the Beardiest Game Ever Made
Your First Fortress - A Step-By-Step Intro

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2012, 02:51 AM
RE: Dwarf Fortress Community Thread
Oh yeah Dwarf Fortress, I forgot abut that game.
I played it once but for those that have played it know that is bloody overwhelming at first, and that's saying something considering the games I play.
I meant to learn up on it and get more into it, it seems like a fun game I would enjoy, but just never get round to it.
I still got another week of holidays I might give it another crack.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
07-07-2012, 04:06 AM
I remember that game. I saw it a few months ago and wanted to try it out, but the "graphics" of this game turned me off instantly. I don't mind bad visuals (i.e. pre-2000 games), but this game's graphics consist of randomly generated symbols and characters, which means that there was zero effort put into the design of it.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
07-07-2012, 11:22 AM
I can't be bothered learning my way through the clunky user interface. Most games I get familiar with reasonable quickly if they are well designed.

It really wouldn't take much to turn the ascii representations into something graphical and easy to comprehend.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
07-07-2012, 11:31 AM
For those of you that can not stand the graphics, here is an older version(with a graphic pack) and the guide that got me started.
http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/0...art-1-wtf/

Under Repair.
07-07-2012, 11:40 AM
(07-07-2012 04:06 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I don't mind bad visuals (i.e. pre-2000 games), but this game's graphics consist of randomly generated symbols and characters

Except that it doesn't. DF uses a graphical tileset, just like other 2D games. It's just that said tileset was deliberately made to be ASCII-like in appearance. The graphics aren't "randomly generated". They're pre-made, just like in every other game out there.

(07-07-2012 04:06 AM)Vosur Wrote:  which means that there was zero effort put into the design of it.

Considering the sheer depth of the game - it literally builds planets, complete with civilizations, history, historical figures, notable geographical locations, and so on all documented for you to play in from the ground up - this is patently untrue. The game designer (yes, this entire game is made by one guy) just has more to worry about than making it look pretty.

But if you absolutely can't stand ASCII tilesets, you can very easily add in more traditional graphics.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2012, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2012 02:09 PM by Vosur.)
(07-07-2012 11:40 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Except that it doesn't. DF uses a graphical tileset, just like other 2D games. It's just that said tileset was deliberately made to be ASCII-like in appearance. The graphics aren't "randomly generated". They're pre-made, just like in every other game out there.
It's irrelevant whether they are randomly generated, because it ultimately doesn't change the fact that the graphics consist of symbols and characters, which is what I was criticizing. It's lazy compared to actually putting effort into making graphics.

(07-07-2012 11:40 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Considering the sheer depth of the game - it literally builds planets, complete with civilizations, history, historical figures, notable geographical locations, and so on all documented for you to play in from the ground up - this is patently untrue. The game designer (yes, this entire game is made by one guy) just has more to worry about than making it look pretty.

But if you absolutely can't stand ASCII tilesets, you can very easily add in more traditional graphics.
I was talking about the graphics design, not the design of the game in general. How could I even judge the gameplay/story/etc if I didn't play it?

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
20-10-2012, 11:56 PM
This game is awesome.

That is all.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
21-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Once you get into the details, as the game progresses things just seem to get unbearably messy and complex...

The only way to handle it is to use third party tools to help clean up the messes. It's also frustrating controlling the stupid dwarves. They do the most idiotic things and need to be micromanaged. Micromanagement is impossible though cos you can't directly control them.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
27-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Look at the link I gave, it has a dwarf micro program on about the seventh page. Helps a lot.

Under Repair.