Dying grandmother

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2015, 07:33 PM
RE: Dying grandmother
We will be the one lying there at some point, and it will be nice to be surrounded/visited by loved ones, whether they were close to us or not....I would think it would be comforting at those final hours....sorry to hear about this Robby. Sad

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
01-03-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
01-03-2015, 12:43 PM
How are you doing RobbyPants?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Sorry Rob. My granny and I were very close. It's tough. Hang in there. But it will seem different in a few weeks when you can begin to remember all the good things and happy times, and it won't be any longer tinged with worry also. Relief is very liberating.
Hug

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2015, 09:43 PM
(01-03-2015 12:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  How are you doing RobbyPants?

All things considered, fairly well. I got to see a lot of family in the last two days, which was nice. The visitations were yesterday and her funeral was today. I was surprised at how many people who came from out of state. Her family was actually pretty small (and none of them came!), but she made a lot of friends on my dad's side of the family, and a lot of people came to pay their respects. She was a really sweet woman, and no one (rightfully) had anything bad to say about her.

It was also nice seeing a lot of pictures of her when she was younger, as well as other relatives when they were younger. She was almost 40 when she had my step mom, so my earliest memories of her were in her 60s. It was a lot of fun seeing the pictures of her and her siblings.

The funeral itself was quite mixed. It was a religious service, of course. I teared up a bit in the first third, but then the readings and the sermon started. I get the comfort of the whole "she's in a better place" thing, even if I don't believe it. Still, it's super off-putting to have it mentioned no less than two or three times that the best thing that ever happened in our lives isn't anything we did, but what Jesus did. That killed the whole thing for me. In a weird way, I can say I'm glad that I stopped feeling like crying, but fuck.

It doesn't sound so stupid to them, I'm sure, until you put everything they say back-to-back without hymns to segue: "She was a wonderful, amazing woman, but the best thing she ever did wasn't even anything she did; it was Jesus.". Fucking hell, man. Just celebrate her life, say she's in a better place, and stop shitting all over what a nice woman she was.
06-03-2015, 10:01 PM
(06-03-2015 09:43 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 12:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  How are you doing RobbyPants?

All things considered, fairly well. I got to see a lot of family in the last two days, which was nice. The visitations were yesterday and her funeral was today. I was surprised at how many people who came from out of state. Her family was actually pretty small (and none of them came!), but she made a lot of friends on my dad's side of the family, and a lot of people came to pay their respects. She was a really sweet woman, and no one (rightfully) had anything bad to say about her.

It was also nice seeing a lot of pictures of her when she was younger, as well as other relatives when they were younger. She was almost 40 when she had my step mom, so my earliest memories of her were in her 60s. It was a lot of fun seeing the pictures of her and her siblings.

The funeral itself was quite mixed. It was a religious service, of course. I teared up a bit in the first third, but then the readings and the sermon started. I get the comfort of the whole "she's in a better place" thing, even if I don't believe it. Still, it's super off-putting to have it mentioned no less than two or three times that the best thing that ever happened in our lives isn't anything we did, but what Jesus did. That killed the whole thing for me. In a weird way, I can say I'm glad that I stopped feeling like crying, but fuck.

It doesn't sound so stupid to them, I'm sure, until you put everything they say back-to-back without hymns to segue: "She was a wonderful, amazing woman, but the best thing she ever did wasn't even anything she did; it was Jesus.". Fucking hell, man. Just celebrate her life, say she's in a better place, and stop shitting all over what a nice woman she was.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-03-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm sorry for your loss Robby, I kinda know how you feel since I've had a few people very close to me die of sickness. When I was about 4 I lost my great grandmother, I don't know why though I was so young. Lost my secondary teacher in 4th grade in elementary school another great grandmother 2010 and 2 other even closer relatives in 2012 when I was about 14. Both out of cancer (same year my dad had to go to prison for 2 years).

Strange thing though is that I never dealt with any grief during those times for any longer then a day or few hours. Even minutes.
Doesn't mean I didn't care for them that much I just deal with this kinda situations in a strange way I haven't seen anyone else do.

But then again sorry for your loss, you're not alone that goes through these hard times as you probably know.
[+] 1 user Likes 4Syntraph's post