Dyson swarm?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 04:38 AM
RE: Dyson swarm?
(15-10-2015 04:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 03:47 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I had a Kirby. It died of old age. Wink

A Kirby? Are you sure it wasn't just hibernating? Those fuckers were built like tanks, and nearly as heavy! Tongue

Thing kicked out like thirty years of service. It retired with honor. Wink

As to the OP, Science Alert, Science Channel, and From Quarks to Quasars have also picked up on the Atlantic article.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-10-2015, 05:07 AM
Come on guys, no Kirby video game reference? Tsk Tsk.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
15-10-2015, 05:15 AM
(14-10-2015 07:30 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
Quote:Jason Wright, an astronomer from Penn State University, is set to publish an alternative interpretation of the light pattern. SETI researchers have long suggested that we might be able to detect distant extraterrestrial civilizations, by looking for enormous technological artifacts orbiting other stars. Wright and his co-authors say the unusual star’s light pattern is consistent with a “swarm of megastructures,” perhaps stellar-light collectors, technology designed to catch energy from the star.

The light from star KIC 8462852 has a variance that seemingly defies naturalistic considerations. Hmmm.... Big Grin

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
15-10-2015, 05:17 AM
(14-10-2015 09:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 08:48 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I love this stuff, according to the Kardashev scale, they would be a type 2 civilization, a few millennia ahead of us.

Doubtful, if there was a type 2 civilization within 1500 light years of us, I think they would be right here and we would be part of their interstellar empire.

Maybe we're one of their 'farm' planets, they just haven't started to harvest here...yet. Consider

Interesting to contemplate the religious implications though, not only would we be just another civilization, but we're just pipsqueaks compared to something that's harnessing their entire star's output.

We can't even come close to their capabilities, looks like God had another species in mind for His master plan, we're just the embarrassingly dumb primates on an insignificant planet.

How could religion provide a context for our pitiful existence compared to such a civilization?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
15-10-2015, 05:44 AM
No, it's obviously because original sin. Because of that, God made us a 3th rate intelligent species and went to root for his other project.
If only Adam and eve didn't eat the Apple, that could've been us Tongue

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 2 users Like Lightvader's post
15-10-2015, 07:30 AM
(14-10-2015 10:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 10:27 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I thought the same thing and I came here to say that my Dyson was not as good as my Kirby............... oh crap, I'm so whipped.

oh, you have a Kirby? *perk*

This thread just got interesting...

Oh ok...I'll shush now.

Ohhhhh yeeeeah. It was expensive, but it cleans the carpet WAY better then the Dyson ever did. I also have 2 cats and 3 kids, so the kitchen floor is perpetually covered in junk. It easily cleans it up. Love it. Not to mention that it also came with a carpet shampoo attachment.

...........am I losing guy points because I am having a conversation about a vacuum cleaner and am actually into it? Consider

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 5 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
15-10-2015, 07:33 AM
(15-10-2015 07:30 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ...........am I losing guy points because I am having a conversation about a vacuum cleaner and am actually into it? Consider

No. You're losing guy points for being sexist. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-10-2015, 07:41 AM
(14-10-2015 10:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 09:37 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Sigh....yeah....that's what I thought too.

What a sad day for both of us.

Yeah it's the story of my life.

(14-10-2015 10:27 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I thought the same thing and I came here to say that my Dyson was not as good as my Kirby............... oh crap, I'm so whipped.

oh, you have a Kirby? *perk*

Oh ok...I'll shush now.

I've recently become a Shark fan... I love my new Shark, I just hope it lasts. ***We need a vacuum thread***

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
15-10-2015, 07:41 AM
(15-10-2015 07:30 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 10:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  oh, you have a Kirby? *perk*

Oh ok...I'll shush now.

Ohhhhh yeeeeah. It was expensive, but it cleans the carpet WAY better then the Dyson ever did. I also have 2 cats and 3 kids, so the kitchen floor is perpetually covered in junk. It easily cleans it up. Love it. Not to mention that it also came with a carpet shampoo attachment.

...........am I losing guy points because I am having a conversation about a vacuum cleaner and am actually into it? Consider

Nah, I fucking love my Dyson and talk about it all the time to people still stuck using inferior technology.

As far as the discovery goes, I'm hoping for a Nivenesque "Ringworld" being constructed.

My greatest fear with discovering some super advanced species that can build a Dyson Swarm or a Ringworld would be along the lines of why haven't they contacted us. I get the "prime directive" (non-interference for you non star trek nerds) theories, the "we are too insignificant" theories, etc. But the one that REALLY scares me is that they are advanced enough to build these things, and have found that FTL travel simply isn't possible by any trick of physics and so haven't sent out explorers/colony ships.

This simple fact would mean that all species on all planets around all star systems are doomed to exist only while their star is in it's main stage and then vanish without a trace. In isolation from every other intelligent species.

That to me, is terrifying.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
15-10-2015, 07:50 AM
(15-10-2015 07:30 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ...........am I losing guy points because I am having a conversation about a vacuum cleaner and am actually into it? Consider

Don't worry. Just think of it as a gadget. A power tool even.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post