Dyson swarm?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 07:56 AM
RE: Dyson swarm?
(15-10-2015 07:41 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  As far as the discovery goes, I'm hoping for a Nivenesque "Ringworld" being constructed.

My greatest fear with discovering some super advanced species that can build a Dyson Swarm or a Ringworld would be along the lines of why haven't they contacted us. I get the "prime directive" (non-interference for you non star trek nerds) theories, the "we are too insignificant" theories, etc. But the one that REALLY scares me is that they are advanced enough to build these things, and have found that FTL travel simply isn't possible by any trick of physics and so haven't sent out explorers/colony ships.

This simple fact would mean that all species on all planets around all star systems are doomed to exist only while their star is in it's main stage and then vanish without a trace. In isolation from every other intelligent species.

That to me, is terrifying.

I don't think a Niven "Ringworld" is possible with physics as we know it. Hence Dyson's idea of using multiple, linked habitats etc.

As for not being able to traverse the stars....

If what ever it is can harness even a good percentage of the star's power... then there's nothing stopping them making a HUGE laser type thing and 'pushing' their seeder craft out ahead of said focused power.

As I pointed out in another thread, just riding atomic power will get you to some good percentages of the speed of light.

I believe the ship in "Avatar" was accelerated out of Earth's solar system using such laser, pushing tech? Consider

Harnessing a star... just puts the engine 'some place else'. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
15-10-2015, 08:06 AM
(15-10-2015 07:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 07:30 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ...........am I losing guy points because I am having a conversation about a vacuum cleaner and am actually into it? Consider

Don't worry. Just think of it as a gadget. A power tool even.

All of a sudden, I'm picturing a V-8 strapped to that bad boy. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-10-2015, 08:08 AM
(15-10-2015 07:41 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  This simple fact would mean that all species on all planets around all star systems are doomed to exist only while their star is in it's main stage and then vanish without a trace. In isolation from every other intelligent species.

I don't buy that stuff for a minute. That's some Earmuffs world domination crap. Tongue

living word
15-10-2015, 08:12 AM
(15-10-2015 07:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 07:30 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  ...........am I losing guy points because I am having a conversation about a vacuum cleaner and am actually into it? Consider

Don't worry. Just think of it as a gadget. A power tool even.

Well, the motor WAS designed by NASA.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
15-10-2015, 08:17 AM
(15-10-2015 07:56 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 07:41 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  As far as the discovery goes, I'm hoping for a Nivenesque "Ringworld" being constructed.

My greatest fear with discovering some super advanced species that can build a Dyson Swarm or a Ringworld would be along the lines of why haven't they contacted us. I get the "prime directive" (non-interference for you non star trek nerds) theories, the "we are too insignificant" theories, etc. But the one that REALLY scares me is that they are advanced enough to build these things, and have found that FTL travel simply isn't possible by any trick of physics and so haven't sent out explorers/colony ships.

This simple fact would mean that all species on all planets around all star systems are doomed to exist only while their star is in it's main stage and then vanish without a trace. In isolation from every other intelligent species.

I don't think a Niven "Ringworld" is possible with physics as we know it. Hence Dyson's idea of using multiple, linked habitats etc.

If what ever it is can harness even a good percentage of the star's power... then there's nothing stopping them making a HUGE laser type thing and 'pushing' their seeder craft out ahead of said focused power.

As I pointed out in another thread, just riding atomic power will get you to some good percentages of the speed of light.

I believe the ship in "Avatar" was accelerated out of Earth's solar system using such laser, pushing tech? Consider

Yeah, but my fear is based on it being ultimately futile. Technically, with today's technology, it would be possible to send a craft to another star system. It would just take a extreme amount of time.

I'm afraid that even with relativistic speeds it would take so long to get anywhere that aside from some explorers just to say "we did this", we wouldn't ever actually leave the solar system as a species. We know there are planets around other stars, and we're actually starting to find "earth like" planets, but that is kind of a misnomer. They are earth-like only in vague ways. Rocky, atmosphere, possibly liquid water, small (in comparison to the gas giants. But even the most earth like planet that we know about is much more massive than Earth. Gravity there would suck for our species even if the atmosphere were breathable. Atmosphere being present is also not the same as atmosphere being livable. We evolved to breathe a very specific mixture of gasses and if the host planet doesn't have the same mix, we'd need habitats permanently. Not a great solution for extra-solar colonization. There are too many variables to list them all out.

I guess my fear isn't that we wouldn't be capable, just that we'd get to a certain level of technology where we would know that the closest actually habitable planet is so far away, it still wouldn't be worth trying to send people.

Maybe I'm just being a downer. I really hope I'm wrong.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
15-10-2015, 08:24 AM
(15-10-2015 08:17 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Maybe I'm just being a downer. I really hope I'm wrong.

Maybe you need to think about vacuum cleaners. Big Grin

Of course I still have hope for dark energy and exotic matter. Wink

living word
15-10-2015, 08:25 AM
Ah. *Nods*

Though if we figure out the whole "You don't age" genetics thing.... then longed lived 'Homo-Infinitus' might travel out amongst the stars?

Much like Niven's "City Builders" did with their 'Ring ships'.
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
15-10-2015, 08:28 AM

One does not need to have FTL technology to not be doomed. Some kind of stasis and near light speed would be enough methinks.
(15-10-2015 07:56 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  I don't think a Niven "Ringworld" is possible with physics as we know it. Hence Dyson's idea of using multiple, linked habitats etc.

Like super solar sails ? Awesome!

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
15-10-2015, 08:28 AM
(15-10-2015 08:24 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 08:17 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Maybe I'm just being a downer. I really hope I'm wrong.

Maybe you need to think about vacuum cleaners. Big Grin

Of course I still have hope for dark energy and exotic matter. Wink

Want my opinion on vacuum cleaners?

they suck

Yeah, like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I truly hope we advance as a species and are able to explore the galaxy. I'll be long dead before that ever happens, so it's not really worth worrying about, but it bothers me anyways. Kind of a defense against nihilism. If we truly are stuck on this rock until the sun expands and erases all traces of humanity from the galaxy, then it truly is all ultimately pointless.

There I go being a downer again. Facepalm

I'm gonna go drink coffee in a little ball in the corner now.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
15-10-2015, 08:33 AM
(15-10-2015 08:28 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  If we truly are stuck on this rock until the sun expands and erases all traces of humanity from the galaxy, then it truly is all ultimately pointless.

Hug

You need some Gwynnies. Heart

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post