Dyson swarm?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 10:16 AM
RE: Dyson swarm?
Lots of speculation but astronomy is an interesting experience. I'm going to go with either planets with irregular orbits along with an asteroid belt, or perhaps extremely dense dust fields within an asteroid belt that could be occluding light. The whole dyson swarm idea is neat and all, but if an alien race is capable of such a thing 1400 light years out, you'd think that we'd be also getting radio waves from them by now as well. Especially since you'd think they likely would have traveled out away from their home planet, etc.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to find out what they detect.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
15-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Thought I'd look up some facts about KIC 8462852

It's an F3 main sequence star, believed to be around 2.6 billion years old -a young star, which might suggest some type of planetary debris around it.

The object that's causing the obstruction to the star's light is estimated to be about half of the star's 1.82 million Km diameter. A 900,000 Km wide object!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
15-10-2015, 12:06 PM
(15-10-2015 11:57 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Thought I'd look up some facts about KIC 8462852

It's an F3 main sequence star, believed to be around 2.6 billion years old -a young star, which might suggest some type of planetary debris around it.

The object that's causing the obstruction to the star's light is estimated to be about half of the star's 1.82 million Km diameter. A 900,000 Km wide object!

Consider

If it's that young, it's probably a good bet that any life that could be building a structure that massive isn't from the local star system. This is actually quite encouraging. If that is true, it means I'm definitely wrong about interstellar travel.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
15-10-2015, 12:29 PM
(15-10-2015 10:08 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Speculating about what type of technology they would use for interstellar travel might be akin to apes speculating how many fire-breathing chimps it would take to power a jet airliner.

One of the solutions to Fermi's paradox could be that the universe is just so old that these civilizations come and go for a myriad of reasons that would be almost impossible to fathom until we could send sophisticated probes or human expeditions to these places to find out why they went extinct.

I think the likelihood of finding extinct civilizations would be greater than finding one that is currently viable at the same time we are in our technological phase.
Speculating is awesome and fun

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 3 users Like Lightvader's post
15-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Some more calculations, if we assume that the object receives about the same amount of light from it's star that Mars would get from the sun, (the length of time between dim periods suggest about this distance) and then assume a roughly square surface 900,000 Km across, that would get 478 Petawatts from it's host star.

The entire Earth receives around 174 Petawatts of solar energy from the sun.

This estimate is on the low side, because I'm not sure how much brighter KIC is than the sun.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
15-10-2015, 02:23 PM
(14-10-2015 08:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Omfg....here I thought this was about a vacuum cleaner.

Damn my housewife head....damn it to hell.

I guess you would say that it sucks to have an empty head.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
15-10-2015, 09:15 PM
(15-10-2015 10:16 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Especially since you'd think they likely would have traveled out away from their home planet, etc.

If they have birth control, why would they travel outside their solar system?
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
15-10-2015, 09:18 PM
(15-10-2015 11:57 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  It's an F3 main sequence star, believed to be around 2.6 billion years old -a young star, which might suggest some type of planetary debris around it.

A couple of planets smacked into each other and kicked up some dust.
15-10-2015, 09:27 PM
I hope it is alien life. That would be so amazing.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
15-10-2015, 09:55 PM
(15-10-2015 09:27 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I hope it is alien life. That would be so amazing.

Don't get your hopes up.

We are not going to be able to build telescopes anytime soon that would allow us to resolve structures built around stars by alien life. The only way we will know is if we look for and find radio waves consistent with intelligent life coming from that system.

It is certainly an interesting find even if it turns out to be non-life.