Dyson swarm?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2015, 03:12 AM
RE: Dyson swarm?
(16-10-2015 12:36 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(16-10-2015 12:10 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Now your inventing "facts" to explain why we never hear from aliens.

Well... not quite.

The "Alucebra" (sp?) 'Warp drive' is theoretically possible.

There's also this: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rferometer which indicates less "facts being invented" and more "avenues being explored." White is also responsible for theoretically reducing the input energies for an Alcubierre type drive.

Quote:As far as I know, this may be the first point in history where that statement is true: a coldly scientific assessment of a faster-than-light spaceship did not meet with immediate dismissal as an impossibility. Sure, he pegged the odds of it happening at under 1%, but that's 100% more possibility than we've ever had before.

(15-10-2015 09:15 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 10:16 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Especially since you'd think they likely would have traveled out away from their home planet, etc.

If they have birth control, why would they travel outside their solar system?

Obviously, you managed. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-10-2015, 05:01 PM
(15-10-2015 10:40 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 10:00 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Oh I wouldn't get my hopes up. That answer will not come in my lifetime but man it would be neat.

I personally think that life elsewhere is exceedingly rare.....we might be it in the observable universe. But if life is somewhat common, we should discover strong evidence for it in your lifetime(I'm assuming you're pretty, young, and healthy). It won't be too long before we can resolve spectroscopic data from the atmospheres of exo-planets.

Are you going to see ET in your lifetime? Probably not. Are you going to learn about the existence of an exo-planet with an oxygenated atmosphere and green land masses?.....There is a pretty good chance.

I went to a talk once where they said one of the more current equations actually suggests life would be more rare than we expect. However I can't remember the name of it.

I'm not sure what being prettry has to do with my chances of living long, but thanks forn the vote of confidence. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
16-10-2015, 07:46 PM
(14-10-2015 10:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-10-2015 09:37 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Sigh....yeah....that's what I thought too.

What a sad day for both of us.

Yeah it's the story of my life.

(14-10-2015 10:27 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I thought the same thing and I came here to say that my Dyson was not as good as my Kirby............... oh crap, I'm so whipped.

oh, you have a Kirby? *perk*

This thread just got interesting...

Oh ok...I'll shush now.

I've got a Kirby you can have.

Come and get it. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-10-2015, 10:46 PM
(16-10-2015 12:10 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 11:48 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  And that's assuming they even use EM communications. It's entirely possible that even 100-200 years from now we will look back on EM comms the way we look back on lamps blinking Morse code, telegraphs, signal flags, or semaphore poles.

Just look at Star Trek's "subspace" frequencies, which they use for FTL communication. They could be sitting in cloak in orbit right now, using "subspace" (whatever that is) to communicate extra-dimensionally, and we'd never know it.

Edit to Add: It's also plausible that they use technology so much more advanced than ours that it doesn't even occur to them to look for EM comms, anymore, or to use radio telescopes, and so our civilization may be effectively undetectable to them.

Now your inventing "facts" to explain why we never hear from aliens. I know you're not literally claiming "subspace" to be a fact but what you are doing is the exact same as "God works in mysterious ways"......Except that it is the aliens who are working in mysterious ways.

But aliens working in mysterious ways is STILL way more likely then a celestial creator god who wants a personal relationship with you.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
16-10-2015, 11:14 PM
Not sure if it's been posted yet, and I'm sure Niel DeGrass Tyson has already said it/Paraphrased it,

I'm reminded of the quote by Asimov where he said something like, "The utterance which marks real scientific discovery is not 'Eureka!' but 'Huh, that's funny'."

That's exciting because it means we have the opportunity to learn something new and amazing about the universe we live in.
[+] 4 users Like Peebothuhul's post
19-10-2015, 10:22 AM
The search is on... I didn't even know there was an Alien Telescope Array. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
19-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Everyone go outside, look up, and wave.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
19-10-2015, 10:46 AM
(19-10-2015 10:36 AM)pablo Wrote:  Everyone go outside, look up, and wave.
Thanks. Now my neighbors thinks I'm crazy. . . oh wait.
[+] 2 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
19-10-2015, 10:58 AM
And... here's something we don't want it to be...

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-sta...entia.html
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post