E.T. phone God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2011, 02:07 PM
E.T. phone God?
This randomeley popped in my brain a little bit ago and I hope that there isn't a thread about this already, but I figured I would ask anyway.

Let's assume, hypothetically of course, that life exists outside our planet and confirmation of this is undeniable i.e. the aliens came to Earth for peaceful reasons. Besides immediate quagmires such as political issues, what might the implications of other beings have on theism in general? How would religion adapt to these new beings? Could religion adapt to these new beings or would this disprove any belief systems?

If anyone knows of any discussions or debates about this topic have arisen in other forums or in videos, I would love to know about them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2011, 06:53 PM
RE: E.T. phone God?
(26-11-2011 02:07 PM)Kaos MD Wrote:  This randomeley popped in my brain a little bit ago and I hope that there isn't a thread about this already, but I figured I would ask anyway.

Let's assume, hypothetically of course, that life exists outside our planet and confirmation of this is undeniable i.e. the aliens came to Earth for peaceful reasons. Besides immediate quagmires such as political issues, what might the implications of other beings have on theism in general? How would religion adapt to these new beings? Could religion adapt to these new beings or would this disprove any belief systems?

If anyone knows of any discussions or debates about this topic have arisen in other forums or in videos, I would love to know about them.

In my life BA (Before Atheism) I was a minister. I also have always been a big sci fi buff. I remain agnostic about alien visitations, leaning far to the a-alien side of the agnosticism. But, when I would come to John 10:16 which reads:

"I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd." New American Standard Bible (1995)

The verse means Jesus was telling his Jewish followers that he also had come to save the Gentiles (everyone non-Jewish) and he was putting together a flock from the whole world instead of just one specific chosen people.

BUT...I always liked to conjecture that Jesus was referring to aliens on other planets. If the fantastical idea of peaceful aliens visiting us ever happened to come true, then the assumption of most of the Christian church would be that these spacely visitors are God's children too. And we'd start sending missionaries to other planets.

HOWEVER...there is also a minority within the extremist fundamentalist movement who believe that alien sightings are demonic activity. Demons appear as UFO's and abduct people and tell stuff to people about how they will bring peace and knowledge and end world wars and stuff. The motive behind the Demonic activity is so that when the Rapture happens and all the Christians disappear, the Demon/Aliens will tell the people of the world that they removed the Radicals who resisted the work they wanted to do on earth so now we could finally have world unity. Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo...

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-11-2011, 05:34 AM
(26-11-2011 02:07 PM)Kaos MD Wrote:  This randomeley popped in my brain a little bit ago and I hope that there isn't a thread about this already, but I figured I would ask anyway.

I think that many religous folk have their belief so deeply ingrained within them that they could connect/contribute any experience to it. After all, a superior being that can do anything; can explain everything.

So, when the aliens make contact - it wouldn't surprise me if all around earth massive religious sacrifices & prayings take place.

This would be at initial contact. Afterwards different interpretations of the holy books will make for separate stands.

It would be interesting to find out what the ET's stand on theism is, if they have any of it. If they make contact with us they would probably be very advanced. Maybe they understand it and have a solution to it? Or maybe they did find an omnipotent, omniscient being?
27-11-2011, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2011 07:36 AM by houseofcantor.)
Lemme tell you about that religion stuff... if the Mothership were to land in Central Park, human civilization would collapse. Praise the Lord! I mean, that's another reason why I detest that religion stuff.

I'm sure one of those Washington think-tanks came to the same conclusion, because there's "conspiracy-theory" involved, and I can't be arsed to wade though an hour of fluff to give you a direct link. Wink
...well I wasn't doing anything else at the time. Wink

I got this far. Hour's up. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2011, 09:43 AM
(27-11-2011 06:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Lemme tell you about that religion stuff... if the Mothership were to land in Central Park, human civilization would collapse. Praise the Lord! I mean, that's another reason why I detest that religion stuff.

I'm sure one of those Washington think-tanks came to the same conclusion, because there's "conspiracy-theory" involved, and I can't be arsed to wade though an hour of fluff to give you a direct link. Wink

I see you've been watching the History Channel. Cool

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-11-2011, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2011 06:32 PM by ddrew.)
Well I guess I'll start with the asumption of the existance of E.T. There are so many probrabilities and questions on their existance it can really make a person think. At least those of us that are not brainwashed by the various religious cults out there in the world.

Maybe we are all children of a master alien race that came to this planet thousands of years ago and gave evolution a little "help". Apart of some desperate plan to preserve their species through planetary pollination.

Maybe we are indiginous to Earth alone and there never has been any alien influence in the history of this planet. Our galaxy alone contains billions of stars, each one a sun similar to ours and others not so similar. The chances of life evolving into an advanced civilation capable of space travel over vast distances...?

Maybe there is an invisible super supreame being lurking in the heavens watching our every move! But I'm not going to entertain this theory much.

Who knows what the whole big picture is... I sure don't know. But the greatest thing is the imagination and thought of the human mind. The ability to ask questions and test theories through the discovery of facts. Our use of reason and logic to explain the unknown.

Now if and when E.T. comes to Earth and the various religious cults being their attempt to convert them to whatever God they believe in... I think the aliens would laugh their asses off at us for being so primative. Heck they might just leave Earth thinking that the human race is a lost cause because of our primative religious lunacy.

The way I see it is that any E.T. that has the technology to travel vast distances through space to reach us have evolved far beyond theism. I think that the human race would have alot to learn from them. Unfortunatley the radical religious freaks out there would have their "holy war" against the invading demons.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
27-11-2011, 01:34 PM
@ddrew I would have to agree with pretty much all of your points. The fact that the human is capable of so much extrapolation is absolutely fascinating.

I am starting to read a book called "Chariots of the Gods" by Erich Von Daniken and it certainly raises some interesting questions about ancient civilizations. I don't know how much it will discuss religion or God at all, but I think that if early civilizations had contact with E.T. it is possible that they viewed them as divine beings and created religion to "worship" them. Assuming that E.T. had contact with early humans, the question would be raised: Why haven't they returned?
27-11-2011, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2011 06:33 PM by ddrew.)
(27-11-2011 01:34 PM)Kaos MD Wrote:  @ddrew I would have to agree with pretty much all of your points. The fact that the human is capable of so much extrapolation is absolutely fascinating.

I am starting to read a book called "Chariots of the Gods" by Erich Von Daniken and it certainly raises some interesting questions about ancient civilizations. I don't know how much it will discuss religion or God at all, but I think that if early civilizations had contact with E.T. it is possible that they viewed them as divine beings and created religion to "worship" them. Assuming that E.T. had contact with early humans, the question would be raised: Why haven't they returned?

Yes why havn't they returned?

Maybe they havn't returned because we have become too hostile as a race? Heck they might be up there right now monitoring us for all we know but want to avoid contact because of our hostile nature and wreckless use of nuclear technology.

Maybe they've moved on and Earth was just a truck stop along their route lol. It's fucking crazy to wrap it around our minds all of the "what if" questions that can be asked.

What is interesting though is there are very interesting geographical locations all over the world that would suggest alien technology helped the human race. Take the pyramids for example. This same structure shape keeps popping up all around the world where ancient civilizations once existed. The Myans and Egyptians are the best examples. Why the pyramid shapes? Why were they so astrologically alligned with points and locations of stars in the sky? Where'd they get the technology to make laser precision cuts for stones to build these structures? Mathematically and perfectly designed by two separate civilizations that thrived on separate contenents.

And like you suggested. Whoever those visitors were, both civilizations worshipped them like Gods. How many Gods did the Egyptians worship? The Greeks? The early pegan Gods of the Amorites, Isrealites and so on?

Now all this speculation could be absolutely wrong... and we are back to square one. Where the heck did we come from? Are there E.T. out there right now? Who the heck knows. I just hope the human race is responsible enough to handle such a truth should it ever become a reality.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
27-11-2011, 07:46 PM
(27-11-2011 06:29 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Yes why havn't they returned?

Maybe they havn't returned because we have become too hostile as a race? Heck they might be up there right now monitoring us for all we know but want to avoid contact because of our hostile nature and wreckless use of nuclear technology.

Maybe they've moved on and Earth was just a truck stop along their route lol. It's fucking crazy to wrap it around our minds all of the "what if" questions that can be asked.

What is interesting though is there are very interesting geographical locations all over the world that would suggest alien technology helped the human race. Take the pyramids for example. This same structure shape keeps popping up all around the world where ancient civilizations once existed. The Myans and Egyptians are the best examples. Why the pyramid shapes? Why were they so astrologically alligned with points and locations of stars in the sky? Where'd they get the technology to make laser precision cuts for stones to build these structures? Mathematically and perfectly designed by two separate civilizations that thrived on separate contenents.

And like you suggested. Whoever those visitors were, both civilizations worshipped them like Gods. How many Gods did the Egyptians worship? The Greeks? The early pegan Gods of the Amorites, Isrealites and so on?

Now all this speculation could be absolutely wrong... and we are back to square one. Where the heck did we come from? Are there E.T. out there right now? Who the heck knows. I just hope the human race is responsible enough to handle such a truth should it ever become a reality.

It's a long time away between the pyramids of Giza and the Manhattan Project. If E.T. had advanced spacecraft and laser technology at 2560 BCE, it would seem that they would hardly be afraid of Atomic techonology which wouldn't even come about until almost 4000 years later. However, it's weird that ostensibly alien contact seems to end after that period of time. Perhaps they might have realized that they had to abandon us because our races would somehow be incompatible.

I'll need to finish that book in any case because I think it would be a great tool for this discussion. The "what if" questions are near infinite that it almost seems like comtemplating aliens is like contemplating God. Perhaps they are one in the same...
27-11-2011, 08:18 PM
(27-11-2011 09:43 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(27-11-2011 06:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Lemme tell you about that religion stuff... if the Mothership were to land in Central Park, human civilization would collapse. Praise the Lord! I mean, that's another reason why I detest that religion stuff.

I see you've been watching the History Channel. Cool

Blaspheme! That stuff will rot yer brain. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user