E.T. phone God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2011, 08:29 PM
RE: E.T. phone God?
I believe wholeheartedly that if aliens were to contact the planet in some obvious way that no one could cover up, it would take all of forty seconds before every religious apologist came out and claimed that everything is right there in their holy book. I'm sure they would gain some converts, more than they would lose.

Best case scenario is the aliens come and tell us they had some escaped convicts come to our planet years ago who they believe came here and pretended they were gods using their superior intelligence and technology, just so that they could take advantage of us. Why is this the best? because it would certainly shut up most of the religious. SOme would obviously claim the aliens were dirty liars who were spoke of in the holy books of note, thereby guaranteeing the horns of Armageddon.

Some people will never cry uncle.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
27-11-2011, 11:30 PM
(27-11-2011 07:46 PM)Kaos MD Wrote:  It's a long time away between the pyramids of Giza and the Manhattan Project. If E.T. had advanced spacecraft and laser technology at 2560 BCE, it would seem that they would hardly be afraid of Atomic techonology which wouldn't even come about until almost 4000 years later.

Your very right. I was tossing a senario into my post. Who know's why they really haven't returned. (If the whole alien visitation in our past is even true).

But see that's just the thing! The whole E.T. aspect falls right into one of the biggest questions in human history... "Are we alone?" "Are there other sentient life forms in the universe?"

Yeah .. what a mind fuck. But that to me is the beauty of it. That alone drives the human mind... the human race as a whole to keep searching... keep asking questions. It's only when we close our minds and accept in faith with the simple phrase of "God did it." That is when humanity ceases to seek the answers to those questions.

God is not the answer to the questions of humanity. God is only a tool, an excuse. God is a tool for governments to maintain control of the masses. God is a tool for the churches to make money. Religion is the greatest BULL SHIT story ever told.

Anyhow... I'm on my last beer and that last paragraph just killed by buzz LOL...

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
27-11-2011, 11:53 PM
A couple of thoughts... Here we are right now, scanning space for planets that have a "Goldilocks zone"... Us! Now, how hard would it be to turn that around. Some advanced civilization scanning around for livable planets, but they decide to drive by and drop a load of life right here. What's so hard to figure? It almost seems natural or inevitable.

The other thought, after the scanning and the drive by drop, why would they come back? Our galaxy is a big place and there are not that many habitable planets, I mean not like within many years of travel and I would still imagine they would have to travel less than the speed of light, even considerably less. So, it would take a lot of wasted time to decide, hey let's go back and see what happened just for the hell of it. Or, why would they just hang around? Do we have better TV channels?

So, to me, the idea of checking out the neighborhood and leaving a deposit is quite a good possibility. But a revisit or just hanging around doesn't seem likely.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
28-11-2011, 12:56 AM
One thing I think we have to take into account when talking about the possiblility of intelligent life in the universe is that the differences in the level of technology would most likely be unimaginable. The universe is over 13 billion years old, if their solar system formed just a billion years before ours, if life on thier planet started just a 100 million years earlier then us, if evolution to intelligence happened there just a little faster.

I think any E.T. that might be out there would be millions or billions of years more advanced then us, I doubt they would be little green men in metal spaceships, their technology would probably be so different that we wouldn't recognize it if it was staring us right in the face. They could be pure energy, traveling inter-dimensionally traveling instantly from one side of the galaxy to the other. If they visited us we might see them as spirits or ghosts or something.

But I personally think they wouldn't give a dam about us at all, we would be about as interesting to them as a piece of dirt. At best, us and our planet would just be a resource to be consumed.
28-11-2011, 11:27 AM

(26-11-2011 02:07 PM)Kaos MD Wrote:  This randomeley popped in my brain a little bit ago and I hope that there isn't a thread about this already, but I figured I would ask anyway.

Let's assume, hypothetically of course, that life exists outside our planet and confirmation of this is undeniable i.e. the aliens came to Earth for peaceful reasons. Besides immediate quagmires such as political issues, what might the implications of other beings have on theism in general? How would religion adapt to these new beings? Could religion adapt to these new beings or would this disprove any belief systems?

If anyone knows of any discussions or debates about this topic have arisen in other forums or in videos, I would love to know about them.

The Bible 1&2 Teacher at my southern baptist high school once told me (when i asked about aliens) that "If they exist, then jesus died for them too". As much of a bible thumping fully comitted believer i was then.....even THAT answer seemed like a bull shit answer coming from someone who had spent years getting his PHD in Theology.

Thats a catch all answer. See below...

Me.... "My Loden, what if soup cans came to life?"
Mr Loden "Well, if they could then jesus died for the soup cans too!"

What a joke!

So glad i am FREE from such mythology and the slavery of the brain that it encourages.

D
Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2011, 01:10 PM
(28-11-2011 12:56 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I think any E.T. that might be out there would be millions or billions of years more advanced then us, I doubt they would be little green men in metal spaceships, their technology would probably be so different that we wouldn't recognize it if it was staring us right in the face. They could be pure energy, traveling inter-dimensionally traveling instantly from one side of the galaxy to the other. If they visited us we might see them as spirits or ghosts or something.

I certainly agree with you. In my last post I was trying to say that seeking and seeding is well within our ability to imagine and grasp making it an exponentially higher likelihood that it has or could happen. But I think it would take technologies beyond our understanding to increase the probability enough for them to be able or want to return or hang around.

28-11-2011, 04:30 PM
(28-11-2011 01:10 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  I certainly agree with you. In my last post I was trying to say that seeking and seeding is well within our ability to imagine and grasp making it an exponentially higher likelihood that it has or could happen. But I think it would take technologies beyond our understanding to increase the probability enough for them to be able or want to return or hang around.

That is certainly possible, however it raises other questions. Why would E.T. deposit life on earth, only to never return? To me, this dilemma is akin to some of the questions about God. Why would he create life? Both situations have little to no evidence, but oddly enough the former seems more logical.
28-11-2011, 05:32 PM
(28-11-2011 04:30 PM)Kaos MD Wrote:  That is certainly possible, however it raises other questions. Why would E.T. deposit life on earth, only to never return? To me, this dilemma is akin to some of the questions about God. Why would he create life? Both situations have little to no evidence, but oddly enough the former seems more logical.

If we still look at things as if through our "god of triangles", I think we want to know the mind of our imagination. If we look through the eye of our knowledge or even speculatory science, I think we come closer to reality or at least closer to a reality within our ability to perceive. Why would a god create and not return? That's the stuff of pure fiction; the sky is the limit. Why would an alien life form within a certain amount of our ability to reason return? We could probably make better speculations on that with the little bit of information we do have. They may want to create as they explore even if they can't return. God? Whatever you wish to imagine, I guess.

28-11-2011, 05:45 PM
(28-11-2011 05:32 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  If we still look at things as if through our "god of triangles", I think we want to know the mind of our imagination. If we look through the eye of our knowledge or even speculatory science, I think we come closer to reality or at least closer to a reality within our ability to perceive. Why would a god create and not return? That's the stuff of pure fiction; the sky is the limit. Why would an alien life form within a certain amount of our ability to reason return? We could probably make better speculations on that with the little bit of information we do have. They may want to create as they explore even if they can't return. God? Whatever you wish to imagine, I guess.

In my mind, speculation can lead to greater and more accurate approximations. We could, obviously, be going in the wrong direction, but I would like to think that the human race is getting closer to the truth inch by inch. Perhaps I am just too idealistic, however.
28-11-2011, 05:53 PM
(28-11-2011 05:45 PM)Kaos MD Wrote:  In my mind, speculation can lead to greater and more accurate approximations. We could, obviously, be going in the wrong direction, but I would like to think that the human race is getting closer to the truth inch by inch. Perhaps I am just too idealistic, however.

No, It's a beautiful adventure and a beautiful way to think.

[+] 1 user Likes defacto7's post