"EA Origin" makes me uneasy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2012, 03:20 AM
RE: "EA Origin" makes me uneasy
Pelvin, you almost got my point. The real point was that if you use Internet (Google, FB, anything...) your privacy has already been compromised completely, so why would you now care if just one more company want to use your statistical data? Well, not your data, but you as a data. You do not have privacy, you are not protected, all sorts of (your) data is being sent and used to/from all sorts of companies, whether legally or illegally (this includes Google tracking FB tracking, any tracking, spyware, malware, Trojans, adware...), so one more really makes no difference at all. If you want to play a game, buy it, play it and enjoy it, forget about the rest.

You can always start using proxy servers, extreme firewalls, crazy antiviruses, Linux, or have one computer just for games and Internet and the other for your private work, private use, that is not connected to the Internet.

There are options, but do you really want to go through all that trouble?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2012, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2012 04:25 PM by Pelvin.)
RE: "EA Origin" makes me uneasy
(24-05-2012 06:53 PM)Zephony Wrote:  I'm glad not to be the only one who really hates EA and Origin. I wanted to buy Mass Effect 3, but wouldn't because of its dependence on Origin. Luckily, this wasn't the case in SWTOR, so I got to experience my Sith Warrior story :-D

I agree with everything in your post except for the following:

(23-05-2012 07:06 PM)Pelvin Wrote:  ...But this includes all kinds of things like the software you have installed, "technical details" (whatever that means) and even your IP-Adress. This doesn't strike me as the anonymous, statistical data that they want to make it sound like.

Whenever EULAs talk about technical details, they mean the details of your computer. This includes Operating System, Hard-drive capacity an amount available, CPU speed, GPU speed and available video RAM, system RAM... None of this is really a big deal in my eyes. The only real identifiable technical information you should be concerned about being collected is your MAC address
I'll keep that in mind the next time I read an agreement.
Well, I'm using an NAT-router so they don't need my MAC-address, or even the internal IP-address, at least not for communication purposes. I just didn't like the ambiguity of "technical details". It might as well include the serial number of my hardware as far as you could tell just by reading it.
Quote:Also, your IP? Really? Just by visiting these forums your IP address is being collected and stored.
If I would like to browse any website they need to store my (external) IP, obviously. The question is, for how long? Granted, my IP might be different tomorrow than it is today (unlike my MAC-address), depending on my ISP, if I decide to mask it behind another and so on. But if you know the time that you communicated with a certain IP, and the ISP has saved information on the lease, it's not as anonymous as it might sound.
I've never heard the license plate analogy before, but it works well. But even if you had the VIN, you would have no idea who is/was driving the car.

Quote:On a slightly related note, do you use Steam? It's pretty much the same, just a watered down version of Origin.
Valve reserves the right to 'spy' on anything you do in Steam (even the chat), including to:
Quote:"identify software or hardware processes or functionality that may give a
player an unfair competitive advantage when playing multiplayer
versions of any Software, other Valve products, or modifications thereof
('Cheats')."
The closest you get is the scanning of your hardware and software for beta-testing games. Steam's EULA is nowhere near as broad as Origin's, and more importantly, it's much more clear on what it means.

But again, this isn't a question of what I fear they will do with all this information; It just strikes me as if they're leaving as many doors open as possible and not being particularly candid about it when challenged.

Quote:If you want to play a game, buy it, play it and enjoy it, forget about the rest.
I've actually already caved, so to speak. I got Battlefield 3 and the Back To Karkand map pack for 400 SEK ($55,86 / £35,62). An offer I couldn't refuse Smile

It's been fun to pick your brains, Thanks for your input.

Attempting to use up the intervening time in an intelligent and ironic way
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Origin sucks, but... Alex_Leonardo 12 147 29-05-2014 04:13 PM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys
  Origin itsacow 2 223 25-01-2013 01:48 AM
Last Post: EvolutionKills