"EA Origin" makes me uneasy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2012, 07:06 PM
"EA Origin" makes me uneasy
Hello, Community. There will be a short summary at the bottom for those who don't like being greeted by a wall of text Wink

I'm getting a new graphics card sometime this week and I want to, as you often do after getting new hardware, to play a really spectacular game. Now obviously "Battlefield 3" springs to mind, it seems like a very good game and one worth my money. But I've been putting it off because of "Origin"
The problem is: I don't trust EA.
After the whole "EA Origin spies on you"-debacle, and after hearing all kinds of differing accounts of how they had reworked the EULA for "Origin", I thought the only sensible thing would be for me to read it myself.

At first glance it looked like any old EULA; the normal legal lip-wagging trying to cover every single scenario possible (unambiguity is important here). But just in the first section, regarding the "license validation" of applications, I get this:

Quote:"1. C
You acknowledge and agree that the Application may use information
regarding your computer, hardware, media, software and your use of the
Application to validate your license rights and to update the Application."
I don't really get why they need legal rights to access information on my "hardware, media, software" to validate my licenses.
So hang on, where's the part where they changed their minds to calm everyone down?
It followed shortly after, where the legal talk has been toned down in favour of a more 'soothing' language. If you compare this little paragraph to the rest in the document, you'll see what I'm talking about. I'll try to summarize:

Quote:"2.
EA knows that you care how information about you is collected, used and
shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly."

Quote:"...EA
would never sell your personally identifiable information to anyone, nor would it
ever use spyware or install spyware on users’ machines."
I'm not interested in whether EA would call it "spyware" or not, I want to know what exactly they are legally allowed to do, and that's why I don't like this ambiguous non-legal language. EA also uses (or at least has the right to) "Origin" for collecting anonymous ("non-personally
identifiable
") information to improve their services. But this includes all kinds of things like the software you have installed, "technical details" (whatever that means) and even your IP-Adress. This doesn't strike me as the anonymous, statistical data that they want to make it sound like.
And finally:
Quote:"We and agents acting on our behalf do not share information that personally identifies you without your
consent, except in rare instances where disclosure is required by law or to
enforce EA’s legal rights."
I get that. And let's put aside for a moment that this is like saying: "I'll keep some of your hair and blood around in case I find out you have wronged me, or will do me wrong in the future.", I can swallow that. What makes me uneasy is the whole ambiguity of what exactly they are allowed to collect, and that there is nothing here that would indicate that they can only collect information directly pertaining to EA and their products.

So it seems to me, that EA has in fact not changed a damn thing about the End User License Agreement, but instead simply put some reassuring rambling in there, that doesn't even have any legal bearing because:
Quote:"To the extent that anything in this section conflicts or is
inconsistent with the terms of EA’s Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy
shall control."

Now I haven't checked, so their privacy policy might be equivalent to the UN declaration of human rights, but it still reinforces my notion that this little snippet in the EULA was a pointless addendum, put in just to be able to respond to criticism.
Now, I don't expect EA to upload personal pictures from my hard drive on the internet, but I do feel like they are taking a lot of liberties with this.
Am I just over-thinking this? What are your thoughts?

Summary (TL;DR): EA's response to criticism regarding privacy issues with "Origin", is: 'Oh, c'mon! You can trust us Angel Tongue'
But I still want to play "Battlefield 3", and I'd like some input from you guys.

You can read the EULA for yourselves over here (requires "Acrobat Reader" or similar): http://eacom.s3.amazonaws.com/EULA_Origin_9.16.11.pdf

Attempting to use up the intervening time in an intelligent and ironic way
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Pelvin's post

Messages In This Thread
"EA Origin" makes me uneasy - Pelvin - 23-05-2012 07:06 PM
RE: "EA Origin" makes me uneasy - FSM_scot - 23-05-2012, 07:34 PM
RE: "EA Origin" makes me uneasy - Pelvin - 23-05-2012, 07:52 PM
RE: "EA Origin" makes me uneasy - Hughsie - 23-05-2012, 07:54 PM
RE: "EA Origin" makes me uneasy - Pelvin - 23-05-2012, 08:01 PM
RE: "EA Origin" makes me uneasy - Filox - 24-05-2012, 02:39 AM
RE: "EA Origin" makes me uneasy - Pelvin - 24-05-2012, 12:01 PM