EFO Martial Arts Self Defence. With no Touching.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 05:35 PM
RE: EFO Martial Arts Self Defence. With no Touching.
So I'm wondering, is there any martial art that will work in a REAL self defense situation? Everything looks so choreographed to the extent of complete repetitiveness and if the attack doesn't act exactly like the form says you're kinda screwed. Don't they just teach people to just fucking run? Don't get me wrong I'm not talking about MMA fighters who probably could kick some ass but I don't know what they'd do if faced with a gun or knife. What about your average citizen with training? Is it like a false sense of security?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 06:27 PM
(13-12-2013 05:35 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  So I'm wondering, is there any martial art that will work in a REAL self defense situation? Everything looks so choreographed to the extent of complete repetitiveness and if the attack doesn't act exactly like the form says you're kinda screwed. Don't they just teach people to just fucking run? Don't get me wrong I'm not talking about MMA fighters who probably could kick some ass but I don't know what they'd do if faced with a gun or knife. What about your average citizen with training? Is it like a false sense of security?

Penn and Teller in their show Bullshit covered this, and came to the conclusion that it is just a false sense of security. But did say it helped with some concentration and could be good for you to practice. Just no practicality outside of a controlled environment.

I fought a kid who was a 'black belt' in Karate in my grade 11 class. Said he could knock me out as he was 'trained to'. He did have the belt, and was trained. Quite impressive what he could do in the Dojo. But in an actual fight it was more than easy enough to take him down to size. Just grab his arm and twist.
13-12-2013, 06:42 PM
(13-12-2013 06:27 PM)Tazay Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 05:35 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  So I'm wondering, is there any martial art that will work in a REAL self defense situation? Everything looks so choreographed to the extent of complete repetitiveness and if the attack doesn't act exactly like the form says you're kinda screwed. Don't they just teach people to just fucking run? Don't get me wrong I'm not talking about MMA fighters who probably could kick some ass but I don't know what they'd do if faced with a gun or knife. What about your average citizen with training? Is it like a false sense of security?

Penn and Teller in their show Bullshit covered this, and came to the conclusion that it is just a false sense of security. But did say it helped with some concentration and could be good for you to practice. Just no practicality outside of a controlled environment.

I fought a kid who was a 'black belt' in Karate in my grade 11 class. Said he could knock me out as he was 'trained to'. He did have the belt, and was trained. Quite impressive what he could do in the Dojo. But in an actual fight it was more than easy enough to take him down to size. Just grab his arm and twist.
Yeah I figured as much, I love all these movies where they wait for the other guy to attack first. Pfff yeah right... Every plan goes to hell when you get punched in the face. Not that I have any experience in this just observation. I took fencing in high school but I don't think much of that could apply. It was a lot of fun though and it really isn't all that rigid and formulaic just quick reflexes although everything had to be done linearly. Advance retreat keep your distance. Hah, I rather not get into any real fights.

14-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Something like boxing/kickboxing would be practical for improving self-defense ability for an average person. It's nothing fancy, but it builds your muscles, and what you learn can be applied in real life situations (ie. how to quickly punch someone in the face). If life ever has you engaging in fisticuffs with some idiot outside a bar, you'll have a much better shot at not being the one with the broken nose.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
14-12-2013, 02:01 PM
(14-12-2013 12:42 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  Something like boxing/kickboxing would be practical for improving self-defense ability for an average person. It's nothing fancy, but it builds your muscles, and what you learn can be applied in real life situations (ie. how to quickly punch someone in the face). If life ever has you engaging in fisticuffs with some idiot outside a bar, you'll have a much better shot at not being the one with the broken nose.
Granted, there are more practical than others but if you don't punch properly you're just gonna end up breaking your hand. I doubt bar fights are all that very well sanctioned and rarely see the first punch coming.

14-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Yeah, but I still wouldn't want to fight Bruce Lee in a dark alley. No

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
14-12-2013, 03:06 PM
(14-12-2013 03:01 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yeah, but I still wouldn't want to fight Bruce Lee in a dark alley. No
Me either dude, he was the real deal. He fought in street gangs growing up. He sought to create a practical style scratch that, it wasn't a style at all. Something new. He got rid of all this nonsense that plagued the martial arts world and teach it to the public something unheard of at the time.

14-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Not all that impressed. I could stop my kids from doing whatever they were doing just by raising an eyebrow.

Feel the power of the unhappy mom.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
14-12-2013, 04:27 PM
(12-12-2013 09:54 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 09:46 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I'm a martial arts instructor for a living. I've seen this sort of bullshit come and go in various incarnations over the years. ... You'd be surprised at just how many people believe in martial woo woo!
I know, right? Bruce Lee would of killed these bitches. Tell me, what's your opinion on Aikido? It seems like a bunch of falling.

Funny you mention Bruce. Smile JKD is my main art! ...Aikedo was originally a supplementary art for Japanese swordsmen. They wore a lot of armour and the idea was to throw them away/down to the ground if they closed the gap on you enough to grab your hands or sword hilt. It didn't matter too much if they hit the ground hard or not as once they were away, the swordsman would finish with the weapon. ... when you understand the context of an art there is a lot of good you can take from it. Some of the hip throws in aikido also feature in judo and silat. The hip throws being more of a slam than 'guys just falling over'. ... in the east, at a good school, with a good instructor, they learn the whole traditional art but are also shown what works in a modern context, ie: stuff that still works/hurts without having a sword to follow up with. You get some instructors in the western world with this sort of deeper understanding but fewer, and far between. The problem with Aikedo and a lot of the other classical arts is not the art itself but how it's taught.

With that said, for take downs, slams and nasty airborne sweeps, I prefer silat and judo. There's too much.non functional stuff in Aikedo for me to feel the need to wade through it. Do you train anything mate? Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
14-12-2013, 04:51 PM
(14-12-2013 04:27 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 09:54 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I know, right? Bruce Lee would of killed these bitches. Tell me, what's your opinion on Aikido? It seems like a bunch of falling.

Funny you mention Bruce. Smile JKD is my main art! ...Aikedo was originally a supplementary art for Japanese swordsmen. They wore a lot of armour and the idea was to throw them away/down to the ground if they closed the gap on you enough to grab your hands or sword hilt. It didn't matter too much if they hit the ground hard or not as once they were away, the swordsman would finish with the weapon. ... when you understand the context of an art there is a lot of good you can take from it. Some of the hip throws in aikido also feature in judo and silat. The hip throws being more of a slam than 'guys just falling over'. ... in the east, at a good school, with a good instructor, they learn the whole traditional art but are also shown what works in a modern context, ie: stuff that still works/hurts without having a sword to follow up with. You get some instructors in the western world with this sort of deeper understanding but fewer, and far between. The problem with Aikedo and a lot of the other classical arts is not the art itself but how it's taught.

With that said, for take downs, slams and nasty airborne sweeps, I prefer silat and judo. There's too much.non functional stuff in Aikedo for me to feel the need to wade through it. Do you train anything mate? Smile
Thats cool, some folks still think he was just an actor, ughh so annoying. Me? No. I took fencing in high school thats it. I was pretty good, for me it was all about speed and keeping distance. There was no need to use a lot of force. I'm interested in martial arts though. So, all aikido is missing is a blade, huh? Makes sense, I also heard of using the armor against them makes a lot of sense.