EFO Martial Arts Self Defence. With no Touching.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2013, 05:00 PM
RE: EFO Martial Arts Self Defence. With no Touching.
(14-12-2013 04:51 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 04:27 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Funny you mention Bruce. Smile JKD is my main art! ...Aikedo was originally a supplementary art for Japanese swordsmen. They wore a lot of armour and the idea was to throw them away/down to the ground if they closed the gap on you enough to grab your hands or sword hilt. It didn't matter too much if they hit the ground hard or not as once they were away, the swordsman would finish with the weapon. ... when you understand the context of an art there is a lot of good you can take from it. Some of the hip throws in aikido also feature in judo and silat. The hip throws being more of a slam than 'guys just falling over'. ... in the east, at a good school, with a good instructor, they learn the whole traditional art but are also shown what works in a modern context, ie: stuff that still works/hurts without having a sword to follow up with. You get some instructors in the western world with this sort of deeper understanding but fewer, and far between. The problem with Aikedo and a lot of the other classical arts is not the art itself but how it's taught.

With that said, for take downs, slams and nasty airborne sweeps, I prefer silat and judo. There's too much.non functional stuff in Aikedo for me to feel the need to wade through it. Do you train anything mate? Smile
Thats cool, some folks still think he was just an actor, ughh so annoying. Me? No. I took fencing in high school thats it. I was pretty good, for me it was all about speed and keeping distance. There was no need to use a lot of force. I'm interested in martial arts though. So, all aikido is missing is a blade, huh? Makes sense, I also heard of using the armor against them makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, there was loads more to Bruce. Fencing has a huge part to play in JKD Bruce took a lot from it. You should give it a try, if you were good at fencing JKD might be for you ... And yeah, get armoured up and take a blade in to an Aikedo school and I'm fairly certain you'll clean up Big Grin

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2013, 10:48 AM
RE: EFO Martial Arts Self Defence. With no Touching.
(12-12-2013 09:16 PM)Tazay Wrote:  All the excuses pretty much Used in this video.

If you have to make excuses to explain why something didn't work like that. Maybe you should start questioning if it is actually real.

Even if it was real, you have to ask why you should spend time mastering easily countered techniques. Imagine if bullets could be countered by blinking. Would we have guns?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply