EMDR Therapy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2017, 10:33 AM
EMDR Therapy?
Has anyone done EMDR therapy? Any comments on how well it works, if so?

After talking to my therapist, she recommended it for me, and I had never heard of it. I'm curious about it, trying to do some research to make sure it's not a sham before agreeing to it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2017, 11:36 PM
RE: EMDR Therapy?
I have had it as part of therapy. My therapist was obsessed with it and convinced of its usefulness. Unfortunately it achieved absolutely nothing for me, despite him being very excited with what was happening. It seemed to amount to him prodding me with suggesting questions.

Due to being extremely tired, he used sounds alternating between my ears rather than a visual version. The left/right movement is supposed to help the brain dislodge and process memories that may be stuck, such as traumatic ones. He thought I did have trauma to begin with, but then when this process didn't work, he revised his diagnosis so that I didn't have any. Seemed like rationalizing the results, not very scientific.

I'm far from convinced this is anything real, although it may have just not been the thing for me. The research I did into it was inconclusive, it appears to be an experimental treatment at the moment.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
19-05-2017, 06:49 AM
My guess is that it's not effective in any measurable way. Possibly acts as a mental placebo?

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
19-05-2017, 07:39 AM
I would look up studies in medical journals on its efficacy.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-05-2017, 07:57 AM
(19-05-2017 06:49 AM)SYZ Wrote:  My guess is that it's not effective in any measurable way. Possibly acts as a mental placebo?

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. My therapist is pretty cool so far, and I really like her. But she's really gung-ho about EMDR. However, she states that we don't know how it works, and that eye-movement is not a necessary part of the therapy.

When I was trying to look up info on it myself, everything I read was very pro-EMDR, even WebMD. I'd expected it to be a bit more skeptical of the therapy, but it only stated that it was controversial, without really covering why it was controversial (beyond the eye-movement aspect).

From what I've read so far, there aren't any risks associated with it. I'm willing to try it, but I don't think I'll put a whole lot of stock into it until I see for myself. Most likely nothing will happen. And since I don't really have a "traumatic" experience that requires treatment, I'm sure nothing will happen. But it won't cost me anything beyond a simple visit copay, and 90 minutes of my day.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
19-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Never heard of it. Let's see what pubmed has to say.

Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR): a meta-analysis.

Looks effective for PTSD but apparently it's not the eye movement that matters but the probe questions involved. Guess that's why VoR's (value of Rob) doc used sound.

Give it a go and tell us what happens. Maybe the eye movement is supposed to distract you to put your brain in a less defensive posture?

#sigh
19-05-2017, 11:44 AM
Is this the one with a lot of blinking? Not being facetious at all. I used to work with a woman who did 'blinking' therapy with her eyes and she swore by it.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
19-05-2017, 12:01 PM
(19-05-2017 11:44 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Is this the one with a lot of blinking? Not being facetious at all. I used to work with a woman who did 'blinking' therapy with her eyes and she swore by it.

No, no blinking from what I've seen.
19-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Oh okay. She did a lot of feedback therapy, too. I am not sure what she was treating, but she was definitely a fan of the treatment.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
19-05-2017, 12:34 PM
This is what I found. I'd never heard of it either. I like that this site tells what to expect from the therapy sessions.
Kind of reminds me of bio-feedback, in a way. Worth a try, I suppose - it doesn't seem to cause any harm to the brain. Who knows, it could just be another tool to retrain the brain to help focus the mind. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post