ESP... real or pseudoscience?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2017, 03:48 PM
RE: ESP... real or pseudoscience?
(27-04-2017 08:42 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I think it is real. My wife has it. She knows everything about me. She knows how I feel and what my intentions were before I did something. Even though I don't agree with her she is right somehow and it must be ESP.

That is not "ESP" that is simply collecting data over time and then making more accurate guesses on prior behavior.

I loved the TV show MASH, but there is absolutely NO truth one bit to the Radar Character.

When I used to dish wash at my longest job ever. I didn't know shit when I first started. But over time I simply had the attitude of observing as much as possible and trying to get ahead of the game. I also bused tables at the same time. So when I would see people get up, I wouldn't wait for another busser, or the waitress, I would simply do it because I had seen that pattern before. I did freak the wait staff out sometimes because I got ahead of the game exactly when they were looking for help.

It is as simple as selection bias and sample rate error. They only saw the times I helped them and ignored the times I did not.

Your wife does not have ESP, she is simply familiar with you because of long term interactions. There is no such thing as ESP.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2017, 03:56 PM
(27-04-2017 09:11 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:Just like claims of big foot, Loc Ness, Crop Circles, AREA 51, JFK and 9/11 conspiracies and psychics. ALL FUCKING BULLSHIT.

The only thing there that gives me pause is crop circles. You gotta admit... some of those pictures are like "whoa". No matter what the explanation they're pretty damn freaky.

And the explanation is humans who can do that. It's art. Aliens don't come all this way to bend corn.

Now if we start seeing crap circles in pine forests...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2017, 04:34 PM
I agree.
Find all posts by this user
28-04-2017, 05:27 PM
You don't consciously remember half the shit that's stored on your brain. But it's there nonetheless.

When shit happens, your brain quickly pulls all the related files. Some of these may have chemical reactions (feels) attached to them.

Suddenly you react in a way that appears to be precognition - a sense of gloom and doom, a sense of flight or fight, a sense of "must protect" or whatever.

These things are just based on association with forgotten experiences.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-04-2017, 05:49 PM
(28-04-2017 03:18 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 05:22 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Until I hear the news from Scientific American, I'll go with pseudoscience.

Hobo

Bullshit more likely. Pseudoscience is already taking it too seriously.

Except that some people (I hesitate to say "scientists") imitate the protocols of science to make their ESP research seem legitimate. That makes it pseudoscience.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
28-04-2017, 07:16 PM
(25-04-2017 01:53 PM)TheUnholy Wrote:  Extra Sensory Perception. This is what I always wanted to know. Is it real or just another delusion? I'd really appreciate if I can get some good explanation here
By what mechanism does it operate?
Which forces are in play:
gravitational
electo-magnetic
strong nuclear
weak nuclear

Or some other magical force?
28-04-2017, 07:36 PM
ESP... real or pseudoscience?
(28-04-2017 03:48 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Your wife does not have ESP, she is simply familiar with you because of long term interactions. There is no such thing as ESP.

I think you missed my sarcasm I was expressing in the post.
28-04-2017, 08:01 PM
I'm able to move my arm by the mere power of thought. Does that count?