Eagle Scouts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Eagle Scouts?
Are there any other Eagle Scout atheists here?

If so, you are not alone.
If not, then I am alone (at least on this forum).

After I earned my Eagle Scout award when I was 14, I had a job working at a Boy Scout camp during the summers of 2000-2004. It was there, as I began to escape from my sheltered home life, that the seeds of doubt really started to grow.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2011, 08:26 PM

RE: Eagle Scouts?
(15-03-2011 08:09 PM)13mentaculus Wrote:  Are there any other Eagle Scout atheists here?

If so, you are not alone.
If not, then I am alone (at least on this forum).

After I earned my Eagle Scout award when I was 14, I had a job working at a Boy Scout camp during the summers of 2000-2004. It was there, as I began to escape from my sheltered home life, that the seeds of doubt really started to grow.

I tried becoming a Boy Scout as a child, but I was raised an Atheist, and when the scout master asked me to leave, my parents explained to me that BSA is a Christian Organization and I would have had problems eventually.

Kind of cemented my beliefs about the exclusiveness of religion while double cementing my stance as an atheist.

I was 9 or 10.

So no, but not for lack of trying. Smile My father was an Eagle Scout though.
Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2011, 11:58 PM
I was raised as a Lutheran, and I didn't develop agnostic thoughts until late in high school (after I made Eagle).

I don't remember religion ever being a huge issue in the actual scouting program. References to faith show up in the Scout Oath and the Scout Law, but defining the "duty to God," was largely (to the best of my recollection) left up to the individual.
16-03-2011, 03:25 AM

It would seem the obvious joke line here would be:

"Um.. like this one summer at scout camp..."

but the crowd here is much too high brow so I be know one would appreciate it LOL.
16-03-2011, 08:22 AM

(16-03-2011 03:25 AM)Dregs Wrote:  It would seem the obvious joke line here would be:

but the crowd here is much too high brow so I be know one would appreciate it LOL.

I chuckled...
16-03-2011, 08:36 AM

(16-03-2011 08:22 AM)Soldieringon Wrote:  
(16-03-2011 03:25 AM)Dregs Wrote:  It would seem the obvious joke line here would be:

I chuckled...

Thanks, even though I can't seem to type in English LOL.
16-03-2011, 01:24 PM
I made it to "Webelo". I think. That might not be what it's actually called. I was never that into it, and when our Scoutmaster quit (dunno why), I left.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
16-03-2011, 08:29 PM
I made it too first class. Keep your Eagles hidden. If the Scouts find out that you are atheists. They will demand you too return them.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
16-03-2011, 09:36 PM
(16-03-2011 08:29 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  I made it too first class. Keep your Eagles hidden. If the Scouts find out that you are atheists. They will demand you too return them.

I wish that the University that I went to would do that with student loans. I'd gladly return that degree for a refund.

And let them try. Part of the Scout Oath is promising that I will be "mentally awake."
16-03-2011, 11:48 PM

I personally don't want my kids in the scouts for that particular reason. Not only do they dislike Atheists but they also dislike homosexuals as well. If, for whatever reason, my child DID turn out to be homosexual I would want them to be treated with as little discrimination as is possible.

My fiance was a scout and said the only time he ever came across religion was when they recited the Scout Anthem and that they don't particularly ask your religion and whatnot.

Nevertheless I've made it clear that in the future I do not want my child participating in scouts. I love how Christians preach to love thy neighbor and love everyone equally... until it comes to someone they disagree with. It's more like they love you equally as long as you hold the same beliefs as them. How hypocritical.

>.> speaking of hypocritical I still buy Girl Scout cookies though, the organization may have screwy policies but the kids are cute little bastards and the cookies are delicious. Meh.