Eagle Scouts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Eagle Scouts
Hi everyone. Looking for a little advice/support. My son is 16 years old & is soon to become an Eagle Scout. He had his big meeting tonight to go over any 'final' steps in achieving this goal. Well, one of the few things left is that he needs to meet with a religious leader and obtain a letter of recommendation! My husband insists that he just meet up with a fellow leader who is a deacon at a local church & pretty much nod his head/lie his way through the interview. This just bothers me so much, but my son has worked so hard over these past few years, doing hours upon hours of volunteer work, camping trips, merit badge studies, etc. Has anyone else had to face this? How did you deal with this situation? Thanks Huh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014, 07:42 PM
RE: Eagle Scouts
Welcome to TTA. I've never gone through this..my kids dropped out of scouts years ago.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

09-01-2014, 07:56 PM
I would go to a UU Church. He could talk freely and fulfill the requirement. Just explain before the meeting the requirements and your concerns. UU Churches welcome people of no faith and those who follow different faiths. All are welcome there.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
10-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Unfortunately we don't have an active UU church closer than an hour away. NJ has it's own bible belt & we live right in the middle of it. But that is a good avenue to explore. Maybe there is someone ordained from the UU church who lives closer by that could help out. Thanks!
10-01-2014, 07:24 AM
Maybe because I've never faced a situation like this but I'm with your husband just let the kid lie
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Lie ing is a skill like any other kids need to learn to survive.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
10-01-2014, 07:40 AM
I had the same situation wen I entered an organization that fit my needs, but is highly Christian religious, despite them saying that religion shouldn't matter. I was comfortable to say the oath, since it never actually mentioned a god, and there were plenty of loopholes to make me comfortable to justify my actions, if it ever came up for discussion. But yeah, what I'm basically saying is that lying unfortunately might be the way to go. Having been a scout myself for several years, I can say that it's a great hobby (sans the religious bullshit).
10-01-2014, 09:24 AM
(10-01-2014 07:20 AM)MysteryLover Wrote:  Unfortunately we don't have an active UU church closer than an hour away. NJ has it's own bible belt & we live right in the middle of it. But that is a good avenue to explore. Maybe there is someone ordained from the UU church who lives closer by that could help out. Thanks!

I would at least call. Maybe they could do it over the phone? I don't think an hour is far, just a regular commute for us. And in this situation, I would drive across the state. Like you, I don't feel comfortable about lying to obtain an award that says you are a trustworthy, upstanding person.

If they agree, I would give a donation to their church especially since you aren't a member there and are asking for a favor. I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine.

10-01-2014, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 09:47 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
I found this. You should read it. In the end he has to state a belief in god. In the beginning I was under the impression he just has to discuss his beliefs with a religious leader.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Guid...tions.aspx

10-01-2014, 09:53 AM
There are a hundred different ways to rationalize it so it's not such a bitter pill.

For instance, god is the term some people use for the things they don't understand or know.

Rules that bully and violate a persons human rights (freedom of thought) shouldn't be given respect and followed. And whether or not your answer is truthful doesn't apply.