Eagle Scouts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2014, 04:51 PM
RE: Eagle Scouts
(09-01-2014 07:34 PM)MysteryLover Wrote:  Hi everyone. Looking for a little advice/support. My son is 16 years old & is soon to become an Eagle Scout. He had his big meeting tonight to go over any 'final' steps in achieving this goal. Well, one of the few things left is that he needs to meet with a religious leader and obtain a letter of recommendation! My husband insists that he just meet up with a fellow leader who is a deacon at a local church & pretty much nod his head/lie his way through the interview. This just bothers me so much, but my son has worked so hard over these past few years, doing hours upon hours of volunteer work, camping trips, merit badge studies, etc. Has anyone else had to face this? How did you deal with this situation? Thanks Huh

Four years ago I would have said get out of Scouts - as belief in god and pledging to do your duty to god and be reverent is woven in to their fabric. But since he has already put so much time and effort in it, it would be a shame to walk away. So I'd say to do what your husband recommends or others here have said and fake your way through it, since they don't offer a humanism emblem (they should). They do have Unity Church and Buddhists, but sounds like a UU church isn't an option for you.

Good luck.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2014, 04:58 PM
actually, buddhism might work.Consider

there are a few here that are familiar with it, maybe they can offer some insight.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
10-01-2014, 05:48 PM
(10-01-2014 04:58 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  actually, buddhism might work.Consider

there are a few here that are familiar with it, maybe they can offer some insight.

that's what I was thinking, if she can find a monk or other leader in the area.
10-01-2014, 10:38 PM
See if there is an insight meditation center around -- what part of NJ are you in? There should be a bunch of good non-superstitous Buddhist resources around there.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
11-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Letter of recommendation? I didn't have to do that when I became an eagle scout.
14-01-2014, 12:01 PM
(11-01-2014 05:31 PM)Donel Wrote:  Letter of recommendation? I didn't have to do that when I became an eagle scout.

Me neither.

Of course, I didn't belong to a "normal" scout troop. We had a few openly gay members back in the 80s and 90s. I honestly wasn't even aware that official policy banned gay members until long after leaving scouts.

I'm kind of curious as to the requirements for this letter of recommendation. What does it have to contain? How is it verified? Does it have to be from a verifiable church and include an address that is local?

I ask because before I became an apostate, I was a minister for a church my friends and I started. Would it be sufficient for me to just BS a letter for you. "Oh yeah, I totally know little jimmy. Great kid. etc etc etc"

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
20-01-2014, 02:37 PM
(10-01-2014 09:43 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I found this. You should read it. In the end he has to state a belief in god. In the beginning I was under the impression he just has to discuss his beliefs with a religious leader.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Guid...tions.aspx

Oh yeah, Penn & Teller covered that, this organisation should lose tax-exemption status etc.

Can that god be a flying spaghetti monster?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.