Eagle Scouts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2011, 01:16 AM
RE: Eagle Scouts?
(16-03-2011 11:48 PM)Diclonius Wrote:  I personally don't want my kids in the scouts for that particular reason. Not only do they dislike Atheists but they also dislike homosexuals as well. If, for whatever reason, my child DID turn out to be homosexual I would want them to be treated with as little discrimination as is possible.

My fiance was a scout and said the only time he ever came across religion was when they recited the Scout Anthem and that they don't particularly ask your religion and whatnot.

Nevertheless I've made it clear that in the future I do not want my child participating in scouts. I love how Christians preach to love thy neighbor and love everyone equally... until it comes to someone they disagree with. It's more like they love you equally as long as you hold the same beliefs as them. How hypocritical.

>.> speaking of hypocritical I still buy Girl Scout cookies though, the organization may have screwy policies but the kids are cute little bastards and the cookies are delicious. Meh.
The Girl Scouts are a bit more open. They even allowed pagans and agnostics with the girl scouts.

If you want a type of scouting there are the Campfire Club:
http://www.campfireusa.org/

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2011, 05:53 AM
Girl scouts are a farm though, a lot of what the kids and their families do is sell cookies. The boys just go out in the woods and be boys.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
17-03-2011, 06:18 AM

(17-03-2011 05:53 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Girl scouts are a farm though, a lot of what the kids and their families do is sell cookies. The boys just go out in the woods and be boys.

I may just have to differ slightly here. I don't have any daughters, but my neighbor is a girl scout and her mom the troop leader, and yes they sell cookies, but its not at all the majority of what they do. Those girls did TONS of wicked cool activities most of which were subsidized by cookies. I swear they were doing some different activity every other week!
Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2011, 06:37 AM
I agree with Dregs on the girl scouts. The cookie comment was a little unfair, Lillith. They do a lot more than just sell cookies.

I never made it past the first year of cub scouts. My mom was a social worker and she knew of at least two people who had molested kids that were scout masters (this was the 1970s, mind you, before the age of back ground checks for people who work with kids so the Scouts had no way of knowing). My mom was prohibited by law from saying anything but when we moved and the local troop had a male den leader (my cub scout troop had a woman who ran it), that was it for her. She didn't tell me why she wouldn't let me go back until much later. I think I was in my late 30s when it finally came up again. I will give the Scouts credit for taking this problem head on. they do background checks and all that today.

I signed my boys up for cub scouts but had a very negative experience with it specifically over religion. I actually posted about it here last fall. I was going to join another troop but decided to just chuck the whole thing instead.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
17-03-2011, 05:54 PM

I don't know much about the scouts considering I've never been one, I had the chance and the offer when I was younger by my mother who asked if I wanted to be a Girl Scout, I declined saying that I thought it was stupid. My fiance wants our kid to be in the scouts if we ever have a kid, I've been arguing over it.

I don't want my child to be a scout when they're exclusionary, but whatever. -__-
Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2011, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't give up on them simply because of their politics. There are a lot of positives to them if you can find the right troop. I had a bad experience where I am but I know people who are very like minded to me who's kids had a great time. It's all about the individuals you find.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
17-03-2011, 08:53 PM
(17-03-2011 08:20 PM)BnW Wrote:  I wouldn't give up on them simply because of their politics. There are a lot of positives to them if you can find the right troop.

If you replace Boy Scouts of America with The Catholic Church, then does the same rationale apply?

I'm not sure how I feel about the BSA as a whole. I don't recall any personal issues with religion or sexuality, but that doesn't mean that systemic problems don't exist within the organization.

To be clear, I had a very positive experience in the Boy Scouts, and I am thankful to all of the adult volunteers who made my experience a good one. I only have one complaint. I was told that employers would give a shit about "Eagle Scout," on my resume. That was a bold-faced lie, but I digress.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user