Early stars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Early stars
According to studies right after the big bang there was only hydrogen because it's the simplest element, in order to make more complicated elements like carbon stars had to form and die, stars converted hydrogen to helium and when they imploded the immense pressure and heat in the core made it a perfect place to make the first 26 elements. The other elements can only be made in supernovas, that is what I heard and read.

Now my question is, does that mean the early stars were only formed with hydrogen? I'm far from a scientist but I would think a star needs some more elements than just one to be formed. Can anyone explain this to me?

chan chan ki sikin aman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2012, 08:16 PM
RE: Early stars
(24-04-2012 07:40 PM)Crusher Wrote:  According to studies right after the big bang there was only hydrogen because it's the simplest element, in order to make more complicated elements like carbon stars had to form and die, stars converted hydrogen to helium and when they imploded the immense pressure and heat in the core made it a perfect place to make the first 26 elements. The other elements can only be made in supernovas, that is what I heard and read.

Now my question is, does that mean the early stars were only formed with hydrogen? I'm far from a scientist but I would think a star needs some more elements than just one to be formed. Can anyone explain this to me?
Only hydrogen is needed. It fuses under pressure to form helium.

Why do you believe other elements are necessary?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-04-2012, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2012 04:25 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-04-2012 08:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  Only hydrogen is needed. It fuses under pressure to form helium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova
The iron atom, (at the core of every hemoglobin molecule in your blood stream), was formed, (only) in a Supernova. Tongue
We are all stardust.

Laurence Krauss : "Forget Jeebus, the stars died so you could live".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Netflix has a Stephen Hawking series that does a great job explaining it.
Not my area of expertise but I thought it was cool that when Iron forms, it kills the fusion and kills the star, while we cant live without it.
Fun series if you can catch it.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 1 user Likes Debzilla's post
24-04-2012, 09:03 PM
(24-04-2012 08:50 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  Netflix has a Stephen Hawking series that does a great job explaining it.
Not my area of expertise but I thought it was cool that when Iron forms, it kills the fusion and kills the star, while we cant live without it.
Fun series if you can catch it.

Exactly. The iron core collapses, and causes the gravitational collapse. So cool. http://flash.uchicago.edu/~calder/core.html

Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-04-2012, 09:44 PM
(24-04-2012 08:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 07:40 PM)Crusher Wrote:  According to studies right after the big bang there was only hydrogen because it's the simplest element, in order to make more complicated elements like carbon stars had to form and die, stars converted hydrogen to helium and when they imploded the immense pressure and heat in the core made it a perfect place to make the first 26 elements. The other elements can only be made in supernovas, that is what I heard and read.

I'm not sure the question was are they necessary, but where do they come from if the first stars were made only from hydrogen?

And the answer is...the OP answered his own question...
Supernovas seem to have taken care of the elements not developed by the hydrogen suns at the Big Bang.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
25-04-2012, 04:17 AM
(24-04-2012 08:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Ok, that's all i wanted to know :3

Like I said I'm not a scientist.

chan chan ki sikin aman
[+] 1 user Likes Crusher's post
25-04-2012, 02:12 PM
(24-04-2012 09:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 08:50 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  Not my area of expertise but I thought it was cool that when Iron forms, it kills the fusion and kills the star, while we cant live without it.
Exactly. The iron core collapses, and causes the gravitational collapse. So cool. http://flash.uchicago.edu/~calder/core.html
Clearly, this is irreducibly complex and intelligently designed. Bowing

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-04-2012, 02:39 PM
(25-04-2012 02:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 09:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Exactly. The iron core collapses, and causes the gravitational collapse. So cool. http://flash.uchicago.edu/~calder/core.html
Actually they do make that argument via the Laws of Physics that allows this to happen.
Oddly enough the answer to that is the topic right beside this one.
25-04-2012, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2012 05:23 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(25-04-2012 02:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 09:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Exactly. The iron core collapses, and causes the gravitational collapse. So cool. http://flash.uchicago.edu/~calder/core.html

Chas,
I hereby apply for "terse but deadly" ... referral by San O. See the "are you guys insane thread".
Sadcryface2