Earth 2.0

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Earth 2.0
So NASA has discovered a planet that could hold life.

[Image: hqdefault-615x344.jpg]

Pretty cool shit, dontcha think? It's older than our planet and bigger.

Here's an article I found in huff post...oddly it was in their science section.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-schwe...61528.html

In any event, I think it's pretty interesting. Wonder how life has evolved there?

My mind is spinning with possibilities.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-07-2015, 01:15 PM
RE: Earth 2.0
(24-07-2015 12:22 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So NASA has discovered a planet that could hold life.

In any event, I think it's pretty interesting. Wonder how life has evolved there?

That title cracked me up..."Bad news for God" ....well considering the slippery jello that is religion I'm sure, when life IS found, they will reinterpret their bible to include life everywhere else. In fact, this has already been done.

The cult that I came out of used to teach that the parable of the man leaving the 99 sheep to save the 1 -- was truly about Jesus coming to save this Universe...leaving 99 other universes and dying for this one because we all sinned. Apparently all the others were perfect in their creation. Damn, why couldn't I have been born there? It would have made my life a lot less messy. Big Grin Weeping

EDIT: I just read the entire article instead of the title...hahahaha. the author posited my point exactly. How ironic.

**Crickets** -- God
24-07-2015, 01:37 PM
I think of possibility that somewhere they've captured an image of our planet and wonder what we're like. If life as they know it, exists here.

Maybe they have their own dogma some struggle with? Or perhaps they do away with it all long ago.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-07-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm sad that I never get to see it in person. But then again I feel the same way about many of the sights to see on earth.

However a new frontier! How existing. Something for our future space explorers to discover. We will be aliens on an alien planet. Gives me goose bumps.

Almost ironic if you think about it. When the Americas were discovered. We declared this as the new world. And here we go, and make the more literal interpretation of that very statement.

In all likely hood, Robots will be the first to land on Keplar. But here's my imagination getting the better of me. We get robots to land. And now with these never VR helmets have them as exertions of ourselves. Able to view this new world around us. The time delay my be a pain in the ass thou.

Obviously Keplar shouldn't be it's permanent name. Should we stick with Greek Parathion? Or now that we found a new solar system should we start naming them under Nordic, or maybe Hindu. How cool would it be to land on A planet named Odin or Thor.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
24-07-2015, 03:20 PM
If we encounter advanced aliens, and they're religious, and they send missionaries, I'll convert and help them colonize all you savages if it will get me access to cool space guns and advanced video games.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
24-07-2015, 05:04 PM
It's star is 1.5 billion years older than ours. If we could somehow build a starship to reach it, we might find a civilization that has disappeared long ago.

I think this is the most likely way we would would find evidence of intelligent life, from long-extinct civilizations.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
24-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Gravity is twice that of earth. It will have every woman saying "does this planet make my ass look fat."

Forget it. We'll never go there.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
24-07-2015, 06:00 PM
It would take 24,332,440 years to travel the 1,400 light years to this new planet. Our Children's Children, wouldn't even make it.

I doubt we would find a civilization (as we define it) on this planet. Thou it would be really cool if we did. But what sort of life forms would be found? Life would have evolved differently, a different gravity, as different situation for it to begin. Maybe if we found life hadn't sustained we could shoot some microbes that way. Then the millions of years it would take to evolve would give rise to a race with poor writing skills and tell storys about a planet of gods that created them. MWAHAHAHA!

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
24-07-2015, 07:48 PM
(24-07-2015 06:00 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  ...
Maybe if we found life hadn't sustained we could shoot some microbes that way. Then the millions of years it would take to evolve would give rise to a race with poor writing skills and tell stories about a planet of gods that created them. MWAHAHAHA!

And just maybe they already did that to us?

Consider

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
24-07-2015, 08:28 PM
(24-07-2015 12:22 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So NASA has discovered a planet that could hold life.

[Image: hqdefault-615x344.jpg]

Yep, and it's close enough to earth so that what we are seeing today represents what it looked like only about 1500 years ago. The odds are excellent that it still exists.

I suspect life evolved there much the same way as here, since the conditions there would be so similar to earth's conditions. Natural selection would take root, and various types of life forms would evolve.

Intelligent life could also evolve there, as it did here. Also, since the planet is about 1 billion years older than our own, any intelligent life that may exist there would have a chance to be much more advanced than we are.

These are exciting times for mankind.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!